It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paster cancels Quran burning

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Muslims have been burning Bibles and crosses in protest. I guess it's okay to overlook that. Muslims get to be overly sensitive, while Christians just have to take it. There's clearly a double standard.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incubus2
Muslims have been burning Bibles and crosses in protest. I guess it's okay to overlook that. Muslims get to be overly sensitive, while Christians just have to take it. There's clearly a double standard.

LoL. The disinfo artists and muslim-haters sure are out in full force on this one, spinning like the spinsters they are...

Muslims are free to do whatever they want, as is this idiot. Your attempt to make this a dichotomy between Christains and Muslims are nonsensical at best.

Pastor Jones is an idiot getting free media coverage.

And he was run outta his last church by his own congregation:

www.spiegel.de...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
PR stunt from the fringe. It should be treated as such and nothing more. Any further analysis is just feeding into his trap.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by InterestedUK

Dude, I have the right to point and laugh at a baby with AIDS. Doesn't mean I do it. As I said, screw your First Amendment if it means it's going to cause a holy war.

YOU live in fear. I don't wanna.

As distasteful as this book burning business is - and I'm against burning ANY book, since those events generally have a bad outcome in the grand scheme of things - It's his right. Not very bright, certainly not productive, but his RIGHT to do so. I said the exact same thing about the Ground Zero Mosque, and sort of got pilloried for it, but I stand by that assessment. When it comes to deliberate provocations of opposition groups (which both of these cases ARE) you can't have it one way, and stifle the other. That's just not sporting!

Personally, I think all involved are idiots, who have nary a shred of responsibility or self-control in the exercise of their rights, but then again, neither of those things are required. Start stifling the idiots, and we all get hushed.

Touching upon your fear of "holy war", you may not have gotten the memo, but it started some time ago. Jihad has been declared, and battle has been joined. If you haven't noticed it so far, I wouldn't start worrying about it NOW!

Further, threats of violence and intimidation are the VERY things that will tick off an American just enough to call the bluff. No, we don't back down very well from thuggish threats aimed at silencing us - not until recently, that is. we're getting better at being cowed these days.

Beware - not ALL of us are like that, and some of us will go straight to war to defend those rights you are so willing to throw to the wind out of abject fear - not matter how stupid those exercising them are.

Some of us know that WE might be next on the chopping block if it works against the merely stupid.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Where's the nonsense in pointing out the crystal clear double standard? There should be no room here for unfounded personal insults. Where are the moderators? Glad you think the facts are funny. All day I've been hearing about how there might be some Koran burning. All day at the same time I've been watching Muslims burn Bibles and crosses. Keep on laughing. Arrogance is ignorance.

edit on 11-9-2010 by Incubus2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by youngneill
reply to post by CanadianDream420

am i the only person that spells it "KORAN" or is it an american spelling via european spelling ?, just wondering :S

It's a phonetic thing. In Arabic, "Q" is pronounced at the back of the mouth, near the top of the throat, as opposed to "K", which is pronounced like a normal K. "Qur'an" is correct phonetically, with the " ' " representing a glottal stop, not found in English.

You have to listen pretty closely to distinguish a "Q" from a "K" in Arabic, and most non-natives miss it altogether, hence the confusion.

Another example is "qof", meaning "stop", which most English speakers incorrectly pronounce as "cough".

edit on 2010/9/11 by nenothtu because: bad spelling, and thumb-fingers.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The Paster is not a REAL Christian. He just claims to be one. Just like possibly millions of Americans who outwardly state they are Christian so that your immediate perception of them will be formed as "peace loving" and "caring". So, knowing that its not the "done thing" to question someone's religious convictions, they then go and do non-Christian things like campaign AGAINST free health care for all as if it is the "threat of communism" (lol) or join pro-war rallies or support political parties that have about as much Christian love for people as Satan having a bad day. Anyone who bangs on about being a "god-fearing Christian" is usually trying to divert attention away from their nasty side, imho.

This goes for all extremists. Including Extremist Muslims who are easily riled up with carefully edited materials (usually showing dying or dead Muslim children who had fallen victim to the atrociously bad US military machine), and excerpts of the Quran taken out of context. Extremist leaders are trying to engage in power-play. This has always been the true reason that religion exists and has remained so popular. It tribalizes societies. Its a clear line in the sand. A "which side are you on"?

Why has this story been so overblown? Because the entire western media is owned by a few corporations with interests in wars and unrest around the world continuing indefinitely. They hope the story will incite further violence, unrest and instability. The paster is a mascot, an opportunity too good to pass up, a pre-US election talking point, the main story for September in the end of year news round-up.

It is in these corporations interests to ensure that the world remains dangerous and fearful. If you look into the crossover from Capitalism to Plutocracy, there has always been a MAJOR conflict of interest in which a few companies (usually investment banks located within Western "City-states") have almost complete control over media and private military industry (via majority shareholdings) and possibly every other large company in the world. The irony is that they use money mostly in your name (via pensions, private investments). The driving tenant of Capitalism was that shareholder interests come before that of employees and customers. Unfortunately, this "inverted" sense of responsibility is why you've no pensions left. Why the unions have been destroyed and the ones that still remain almost always get a negative press if the act to protect their members. Is why there is no job for life and why your jobs are going overseas. Which is why you are unemployed and unemployment is rising (and will probably rise indefinitely in US, UK, Europe over the long term). Which is why a few own most of the worlds wealth and keep it to themselves. (Don't let recent reports of billionaires giving away their wealth con you into thinking they are good people. If they were good people, they wouldn't have got super-rich in the first place.)

So, your REAL enemy is far worse and insidious than raving book-burning Pastors, immigrants, violent religious sects or even ignorance itself. Its global corporations and their leaders, globalisation and the fact that many of these corporations are now TOO-BIG to even be convicted (of fraud, mainly) and that capitalism is already broken. It has already failed and the foundations of Justice has been bought out for less than a billion dollars.

This decade will be when WW3 happens. If we get past it without WW3 we can probably breathe a sigh of relief. But new's stories like this will continue to be fanned up to divert attention, polarise populations around the world into two camps and solicit unrest around the world, in the hope that something big will act as the trigger.

The real powers in this world will be gutted that the burning didn't go ahead. But they can be satisfied that much of the damage has already been done: major divisions (ideological and religious) around the world have been reinforced over just a few days.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The westboro church has burned hundreds of copies of the Koran but no one has covered this in the media.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by jfj123

Why do you feel you need to burn a book like this nut job Jones to express your freedom of speech. Why not do something different and original?

Because frankly I'm not that creative

No seriously, it's specifically about telling the terrorists they will NOT dictate FREEDOMS within the borders of The United States of America. Anyone who threatens to murder anyone over the burning of any book is not a moderate anything.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Who is this paster and what does he paste?

Why are we worked up over some guy doing his wall-papering?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incubus2

and like you, I'm tired of that double standard.

Someone wants to build a mosque 2.5 blocks from ground zero, 70 % of the country doesn't want it because they believe it's "insensative". Unfortunately, we've been told too bad there's something in this country called RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. So basically nobody cares about our sensativities but we are supposed to care about theirs? NOPE !

You know, I'm sorry that moderate muslims are offended by this but I've been offended for decades by many terrorist acts perpitrated on American citizens.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

YOU live in fear. I don't wanna.

As distasteful as this book burning business is - and I'm against burning ANY book, since those events generally have a bad outcome in the grand scheme of things - It's his right.

Absolutely correct !
I'm so glad to see people like you here.
We need more citizens like yourself who are standing up for their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS in all their forms instead of just the convenient ones.

STARRED !

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Is not disinformation my friend, is reality, the get to do all that on their TV for the world to see and celebrate, they also behead westerners for the enjoyment of the world, now when was the last time US media showed Americans beheading a follower of Islam?.

Double standards . . .

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Well, he officially caved this morning. Guess Phelps and Taylor are all by themselves on this now.......wonder if the attention will jump to them?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It interests me how much hypocrisy there is on both sides. The USA is about having the freedom to offend, Muslims want to build near ground zero they have the freedom to do so, man wants to burn Korans he has the freedom to do so.

Speaking to both sides, if you agree with the freedoms of one but not the other you are a hypocrite, plain and simple.

The media and politicians have built these issues into conflagrations for their own selfish aims,.... for shame.

The other issue is tolerance, where do we see tolerance in the offenders and the offended? The biggest difference I see is that the Muslims are threatening physical harm for offending them, they are in essence terrorizing to achieve their desired results. This we should not accept.

End rant.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by slane69

you seem to think that people being critical of Pastor Jones' pitiful attempt to get attention is the same thing as censorship. IT isn't. Also, your comparison between burning books and reading them is ridiculous. there is NO comparison between this idiot redneck in florida with about 30 people in his church (and declining) who claims to be about 'peace' while he is clearly insighting hatred and people who are building a mosque.

This comparison is sorcha fail.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by justadood

Is not disinformation my friend, is reality, the get to do all that on their TV for the world to see and celebrate, they also behead westerners for the enjoyment of the world, now when was the last time US media showed Americans beheading a follower of Islam?.

Double standards . . .

Yes, it IS dis-information because you implied that 'Muslim Extremists; prevented him from having his little publicity stunt, when, IN REAILTY (you know, where facts are true) there has been a LARGE outcry from numerous non-muslim people being critical of his short-sighted, ignorant actions.

Your and others' attempt to pretend this has anything to do with Muslims is sorcha Fail. IT has to do with a stupid, intolerant, ignorant "Christian".

Unless, of course, you think General Petraus is a 'muslim extremists'?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

You know what, since the Pastor caved. I decided to burn the Qur'an.

Get your burning Qur'an here.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89f8ad1021de.gif[/atsimg]
Uh oh, watch out now, they will use this representation to justify killing thousands of people.

They are INSANE. Sorry, going to use my freedom to tell them to PO.

edit on 11-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Guess its all over except the getting together.
Nothing burned so thats good.
Bad idea from the start.
Osama warned us last time so he will be our watchdog
if anything is about to happen like a full out attack like
the last time.
Strike big and strike hard.
And an unsuspecting people.
Or unprepared.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

You know what, since the Pastor caved. I decided to burn the Qur'an.

Get your burning Qur'an here.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/membe1021de.gif[/atsimg]
Uh oh, watch out now, they will use this representation to justify killing thousands of people.

They are INSANE. Sorry, going to use my freedom to tell them to PO.

edit on 11-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

Your irrational hatred for millions of people you couldn't possibly know is unfortunate. Your blanket statements make you as bad as those you condemn.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join