It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China and Japan Bristle Over Disputed Chain of Islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

China and Japan Bristle Over Disputed Chain of Islands

www.nytimes.com

BEIJING — Despite recent efforts to tamp down territorial disputes, China and Japan are jostling elbows over one of their thorniest such conflicts: control of a tiny, uninhabited island chain in the East China Sea.

On Wednesday morning, the Chinese Foreign Ministry summoned Japan’s ambassador for the second time in 24 hours to protest Japan’s response to a Chinese fishing boat that had entered disputed waters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I read this story and I started laughing. The patrol boats and fishing boat collided. I had visions of the Keystone cops on boats in my head while reading it.

Anybody remember the Fire hose incident a year or so back where the US sprayed some Chinese fishermen who were being aggressive to a war ship?

I don't think too much will come of this but one just never knows.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: typo

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
ehh.
One shameless bump then off into the abyss this thread goes.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
China Syndrome

Well, both sides seem interested in playing it down, so I doubt we'll see anything major come of it.

Once Korea reunifies, however, things might get a little more edgy.

Or not.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

I didn't think much would come of this either, however I think Taiwan and or North Korea would be more likely flash points of any potential conflicts.

Although I just posted another thread that seems to be implying that that scenario is less likely.
Signs U.S.-China military exchanges may resume

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I hope nothing does come of this. The last thing we need is Japan building up its military.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
China has territorial claims against Japan and Vietnam in that area. While it doesn't matter much to us, it's a "face" thing to them. As China grows it's navy, expect more aggression. They are a country with a long memory, WW2 and Japanese expansion is still fresh to them.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Are these the same as the Spratly islands? Which (Taiwan), Malaysia, the Philippines, and Vietnam are also claiming? Well with the huge territory of China, they should not try to expand too much and claim to much territory, they already have enough problems holding Tibet,Xianjiang together and claiming Taiwan..If people think the US might fall apart due to La Raza or anything[highly unlikely], watch this red monster crumbling as they hold it together with violence and supression.

edit on 8-9-2010 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

I think you are talking about the Spratleys in the South China sea...I'm pretty sure Vietnam has no claims to any of the islands in the OP regarding the East China sea.

There are actually many countries laying claim to the Spratleys though (including Vietnam), and I would say it is less about face, and more about controlling and being able to provide clear shipping channels, especially in times of growing global conflict. That goes for both incoming, and outgoing supplies.

The Spratley's are more important, because whoever controls them, and can base their navy there, can basically provide additional safe thoroughfare, or disruption, to what is one of the world's most busiest shipping channels. If China is the factory of the world, then southern China is the nerve centre and the factory within the factory; most shipping goes via south China and on past the Spratleys to Europe, the middle East, Africa and the rest of Asia.

The Spratleys have been highlighted and argued before to be one of the most under-reported, yet potentially highly flammable chain of islands that could lead to major conflict.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

That would be ugly. Outside of the USSR which really wasn't a country so to speak. [Not Really] I would hate to see a Nuclear power fall apart with huge amounts of ethnic and religious turmoil.
Interesting perspective.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
Are these the same as the Spratly islands?

No, these are the Senkaku Islands - Pinnacle Islands in English. China and Japan claim them, as does Taiwan.

(Taiwan is kind of a given, though - they claim these islands, all of mainland China, most of Mongolia, and parts of Russia, Nepal, India, the Koreas... about a quarter of Asia, really)

Between China and Japan, I don't think anything major will come of this - the real issue is with natural gas reserves in the EEZs around there, and that has been relatively diplomatic thusfar.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Mind
I hope nothing does come of this. The last thing we need is Japan building up its military.

I have to ask, why? Is this some manifestation of some 70 year old prejudice?

Japan already has a significant and capable Military, a nice mix of Western and indigineous weapons systems. Japan could also easily become a nuclear power within 6 months AND have viable launch capability from their space programme.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

All great points. I always have to chuckle when I hear people claiming that Japan has no military etc. With their electronic industry alone they could quickly turn all their expertise in manufacturing and innovations into weapon systems.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Indeed. Japan is a world leader in many fields (in some area's they are a good decade ahead of many Western nations) and the only thing barring them from showing more teeth is their US imposed constitution and even that is being reviewed in light of the current global climate. I think they have come to realise that whilst the US is a valuable ally, they need to look closer to home in case of a national crisis.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
China has quite a few territorial disputes with its neighbours. One dispute with South Korea (the Socotra Rock) is clearly economic, the Aksai Chin with India is about extending their territory beyond Tibet (yes that was disputed until peacefull China moved in like the jolly peaceful lot they are), Kula Kangri up in the Bhutan area, the Macclesfield Bank which I think may be a dispute with Vietnam, the Paracel Islands again with Vietnam and many others including the various disputes with Japan.

I mention some of these territorial disputes to show that China can become antagonistic to many nations in the area through claiming rights which they may / may not have any legitimate claim for. These areas could be come flash points if there was economic benefit and Chian chose to become a belligerent - as they have been in the past (above I mention Tibet).

Regards

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by stumason

All great points. I always have to chuckle when I hear people claiming that Japan has no military etc. With their electronic industry alone they could quickly turn all their expertise in manufacturing and innovations into weapon systems.

I didn't say Japan didn't have a military, The reasons why i said that was because if Japan was to build up its military then tension would only get worse between China and Japan.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
A few years back the Russians had to give them an island and most of one waterway in the north, just to keep them from flapping their yap. think we can expect more of this claiming stuff in the future.

top topics

join