It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Mars May Not Be Lifeless - say scientists

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bestideayet

Couple points here about this article...

When Nasa's two Viking landers picked up and examined samples of Martian soil in 1976, scientists found no evidence for carbon-rich molecules or biology.

But after the Phoenix Mars Lander discovered the chlorine-containing chemical perchlorate in the planet's "arctic" region in 2008

Okay they didn't find carbon-rich molecules minerals on Mars, only perchlorates which tend to destroy organic matter. They are nasty chemicals used in fire works, weapons and rocket fuel. What the article says is the finding of perchlorates made them go to 'Mars on Earth' Atacama Desert in Chile to dump perchlorates onto the soil and heat it making methane mostly as they wiped out life
It was methane that was noticed on Viking and there were later methane discoveries...

Martian Methane Reveals the Red Planet is not a Dead Planet
www.nasa.gov...

Did a thread on this some time ago and a page... On my site

I even wrote NASA and got the full paper... quite interesting...

Since we see no active volcanoes... seems life forms venting gas is a likely candidate

Mars, methane and mysteries 10 August 2009
www.esa.int...

What is most interesting is that it is wide spread and renewable.

Credit: NASA

Credit: NASA

Funny but this artist concept reminds me of another image on Mars we were working on...

Here is the black and white version

Here is the NASA color version..

Here is Mike Singh's enhanced version...

Here is ArMaP's version..

with his analysis here...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

in this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Swamp Gas anyone?
Sorry was a slow night

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by amari
As far as releasing any photos or segments of the photos I would have to get permission to do so and the possibility of copy writes may come into play. y]

There is no copyright issue. Since any of the images from Viking or the Rovers belong to NASA and hence automatically fall into public domain to US Taxpayers... your argument is moot

Any attempt to copyright NASA works by anyone else is fraud.

Now cough up the goods

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by amari
As far as releasing any photos or segments of the photos I would have to get permission to do so and the possibility of copyrights may come into play. y]

There is no copyright issue. Since any of the images from Viking or the Rovers belong to NASA and hence automatically fall into public domain to US Taxpayers... your argument is moot

Any attempt to copyright NASA works by anyone else is fraud.

Now cough up the goods

Ron, I knew I would be challenged about the copyright issue. I still have to check with the source and I have never seen these Mars photo segments before anywhere else including the internet. ^Y^

edit on 13-9-2010 by amari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I feel we have the capabilities to zoom in on a grain of sand both here on Earth and other planets so why.....the blurry photos?

Your statement is right on. This fact alone should be enough to convince anyone that we are not getting the truth.

Back in the late 70's I spoke to someone who was in a position to know exactly how good our real satellite technology was, when it came to observation from orbit. He was US Army, as high as you could go, ICBMs, etc., and while mostly he had to say it was "classified", he did say one thing I remember clearly, and at the time, I was sort of shocked. He said, "We can read a newspaper from orbit." Remember, this was the late 70's, it sounded like a pretty major claim for the time. This was at a dinner, and when he realized too many faces had their mouths hanging open, he quickly back-peddled, saying, "Oh, you know, headlines are pretty big!" Yeah. Ha, ha, ha. Sure...lines! I can tell you, I wasn't buying it. The way he first put it, "read a newspaper" certainly didn't sound like just headlines. But you know what? Who cares. Even if that's all we had today, it would be a huge leap over the nonsense we're still fed.

Over thirty years later, what do we have? Essentially the same thing. Technology has quadrupled in every direction, but the public is OK with blurry photos!

I would sure love to see someone put one of these NASA bozos on the spot about this issue, in front of a televised audience.

JR

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I am insulted that they're coming off like this is some sort of scientific-epiphany. What's next? Will they admit that the Moon isn't made out of cheese too?

That's right.......continue to spoon-feed us the Universal truths that most of us know already.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth
Over thirty years later, what do we have? Essentially the same thing. Technology has quadrupled in every direction, but the public is OK with blurry photos!

Space Imaging's IKONOS satellite took this 1-meter resolution color image of Rainbow Falls and Hidden Falls along the Tsangpo River May 9, 2000. A set of 20 images, valued at more than $48,000,

The IKONOS satellite weighs about 1600 pounds. It orbits the Earth every 98 minutes at an altitude of approximately 680 kilometers or 423 miles. It is a commercial satellite and its now old. The new one was just launched recently. Pretty picture yes?

One of my contacts sent me the above picture... in its full glory.... in our search for Shambala

Now if anyone doubts that the Military has even better stuff, they are just deluding themselves...

The following link takes 4 scans to load the layers so be patient. Dial up users may not be able to see this, its a big file...

I have posted this a few times... very few people even look. I guess they prefer their bliss

TSANGPO RIVER CHINA

edit on 13-9-2010 by zorgon because: Blah Blah Blah

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Where is this "zooming into a grain of sand" coming from? Can anyone back this up with evidence? I am not aware of any satellite camera having the ability to "zoom into a grain of sand".

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I saw a report last year of a military satellite with the ability to do facial recognition. I will have to find that again..

But here is the info on the new commercial GeoEye by IKonos..

From its vantage point of 425 miles in space, the 4,300-pound GeoEye-1 satellite orbits the Earth and focuses its powerful lens on the surface below, snapping electronic images that can resolve objects on the ground as small as 41 cm across (16 inches). That's approximately the size of home plate on a baseball diamond. These images are typically processed and sold to the military for mapping and to companies like Google, which makes them available to the public through its platform Google Earth. (Because of federal regulations, the publicly-available images are slightly lower resolution -- approximately 50 cm).

www.sciencedaily.com...

This is publicly released data and we all know military tech is 20 years ahead of what they tell us

Back in 1965 to 1967... on the Moon

On a typical Lunar Orbiter mission, the photographic system provided high-resolution pictures of 4,000 square miles of the Moon's surface with enough clarity to show objects the size of a card table.

www.ssd.itt.com...

I sure would like to get my hands on those images at that resolution...

edit on 13-9-2010 by zorgon because: Ha Ha... not telling

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I figure it is because WE are the Martians...

That´s what I think as well, we came here to escape whatever calamity happened there.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

When you Look at these photos black and whites, color and the so called red planet photos you must change your mind set of what you are looking for on the surface of Mars. Think tiny tiny tiny, think medium and large when it comes to lifeforms roaming the surface on Mars. We have been programed to look for lifeforms similar to what we have seen on Earth and that is understandable. You will see similar critters that you have seen on Earth and you will see lifeforms that you have never seen before. Remember you will not see these anomalies at first it takes time to adjust your eyes to in many cases with the fake color screened photos presented. No one has to agree with me but this is what I see. Mars, a World that is so different but in many ways so similar to Earth.

Look at many of these so called rock formations as life forms. Look and study how symmetrical this rocks are in many cases. Look and trace the lines of the rocks with your eyes when it comes to the evenness of design on both sides of the anomalies in many instances. I believe that the screeners have a program that change the appearances of lifeforms into what looks like rocks to trick you in believing they are rocks. Are there rocks on Mars? Of course but do not be naive into thinking everything is presented as an original photo transmitted from Mars.

I know these screeners laugh there you know what off when they put bits and pieces of the original photos into disarray in other words changing the positions of anomalies like a puzzle that is in chaos. I have seen so much from photos on Mars it is beyond comprehension. The things that intrigue me are the microbots, the cyborgs and created statues. Are there what we call alien and humanoid looking skulls on the surface of Mars? Absolutely.

This may come as a surprise to some but inside the building that was used to test the lander and rover was known as the Sandbox that tested operation scenarios. This was the testing ground for the Sojourner Pathfinder mission. What kind of large photos covered the heavily lighted back wall of the Sandbox? You guessed it this was from the Viking Missions. Now in the sandbox was placed all kinds of rocks and obstacles and on the wall was what I call a robot that I called frogie and human looking alien looking hybrid face with large eyes from the Viking mission photo. There is so much more it will make your head spin. ^Y^

edit on 13-9-2010 by amari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Huh? So you agree? Its simple really, we have polluted before and if the same evolution of humanity contiues back into space *cough* then it will continue, world without end amen...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bestideayet

I always knew that this planet had life. I would liek to hear your thoughts, considering this is a top news story on ATS. People seem to have a great interest in Mars. I just finished watching MOON also, and that got me thinking about colonization. What is stopping us from the whole "colonizing Mars" issue? Money? Atmosphere?
I'm not too schooled in this, but I really find it fascinating.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

So this story is proof for you? You did notice the word MAY right?

When did science stop dealing in facts? They stopped when they noticed the sheep will believe anything you tell them. This story is not proof it is not even close to proof.

People want to believe so bad they are living in fantasy worlds were the facts take the backseat to conjecture.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I don't think anyone doubts the abilities of modern (and even Top Secret military-type) satelites, and resolution ablities.

But, how many "IKONOS"-type level satellites, capable of that quality, are currently orbiting the Moon, at ~425 miles? (Heck in Lunar orbit it could probably go lower and remain fairly safe and stable!)

Or Mars?

Still, even one cm resolution won't help much, if all we have are pretty pictures, to ascertain the sorts of either (A): Active and current life (in any form....most probably very simple, not much above single-celled); Or, (B): Solid irrefutable evidence of fossilized remains.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit, silly computer auto-posted before I was done....

Either of the above (current, fossil) would be wonderful news and earth-(mars)-shaking.

SO, I wonder if the immense cost of shipping a very powerful imaging satellite is just not worth? At least, not yet of course. Down the road, once human habitation is established, then. (And, probably better too; miniaturization, weight, and quality).

edit on 14 September 2010 by weedwhacker because: Technology! Meh!!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Ok, I have the information....just wait one more second...hold on...

(fire!)

Ok, its on its way!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
That is a good news,if there are lives on Mars ,maybe human beings have a way out when disaster happens.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
But, how many "IKONOS"-type level satellites, capable of that quality, are currently orbiting the Moon,

LRO

Or Mars?

HiRise

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks, looked it up too.

HiRISE: Says the resolution is up to 0.3 meters. This from a 300 km orbit. So, what's the beef with HiRISE photos then? Sounds as if they're showing a lot of detail --- it's the way they're mis-interpreted by amateurs,
perhaps?

LRO: Currently in a lower polar orbit. Says it can resolve 0.5 meters, and is orbiting between 30-70 km. It was only launched last year, so there is still stuff to see, one would think. It also is tasked with producing a 3-D map...topographical, I suppose.

Still, when you talk about those resolutions, it means per pixel, correct?
Or, am I missing something?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

the Dr Michael Mumma cited on your web link, seems to have the most logical answer to the methane question.

its naturally occuring gas, just like within the Earths crust... the radon gas is absent on Mars?
there still must be methane, radon, even hydrocarbons still trapped in the Martian strata from when Mars still had a hot molten core millions of years ago..
in fact Mars may also have trapped pools of abiotic hydrocarbons/ oil... if ever discovered the race will be on to exploit that resource, instead of the present reluctance to explore the planet with human planeteers (colonists)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join