It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Demolish and Rebuild" Detroit: Fires Burn Nearly 100 Homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

"Demolish and Rebuild" Detroit: Fires Burn Nearly 100 Homes

www.datelinezero.com

State and city officials have been looking for a way to renew the city through an unspecified “demolish and rebuild” program. It had some heads nodding in agreement earlier this year, but such a program would be a political minefield to implement.
So while talking about a “demolish and rebuild” might sound bold and brave; implementing such a program would be politically unpopular, not to mention expensive.

Mother nature may have offered a helping hand or even, perhaps, a scapegoat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Earlier this year, a proposition had been made by people interested in investing in a program to renew the city of Detroit. Government officials, as best as I understand, didn't vocalize support one way or another.

Makes sense. Even if people are willing to throw money at you in you demolish entire neighborhoods. But who wants to try and get elected after saying "I want to level some neighborhoods where some voters still live"?

Today, entire neighborhoods -- neighborhoods that have become a part of Detroit's backward slide -- are on fire.

www.datelinezero.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Nero has returned?

Hopefully they won't burn christians at the stake

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
We had a similar fire happen where I live, where a bum didn't extinguish his cigarette entirely, it smoldered underground for days until it sparked a grass-fire in an abandoned field. The winds carried sparks several blocks away until three entire city blocks were in flames and over a dozen homes were destroyed.

With these fires in Detroit, a live powerline went down in a semi-deserted neighborhood, and probably had been down for a while. When faced with high winds, that downed powerline finally came in contact with something metallic, caused sparks, which ignited a fire in a garage that spread. The high winds continued to acerbate the problem by carrying sparks for blocks.

When even 755 powerlines went down from the fires, the Power Company in Detroit was still unaware that any lines were down!?!?! It seems they found out that they had down lines from the Television broadcasts of the fire after the Fire Marshall commented to reporters that the cause was due to a downed powerline.

Conspiracy, pointing fingers, or just a testament to how spartan and stretched Public Services in Detroit have become?

I doubt Conspiracy here, being that you are talking about three or four blocks that were consumed by fires in Detroit. The plan to demolish 40% of Detroit and return it back to it's ruralized state would require thousands of blocks to be demolished. An out of control fire that takes out three or four blocks would hardly be worthy of the time to do a cover-up and wouldn't even be a kick-start to the re-ruralization of Detroit.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
There have been numerous attempts to turn some urban abandoned neighborhoods into farmland. Why not?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
IMHO..... The cost of the planned demolitions was costing to much..... So burn down detroit.. who is gonna miss it? It had roughly 5 sq miles of "decent" area left.. Detroit needs to be turned into a nuke testing facility... just to make it less toxic.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Somehow you are missing the essential message in this story. They are talking about turning the vast areas of currently vacant land or land that will be vacant after demolition into viable parkland and farms. They talk about Detroit potentially becoming the greenest city in America if the plan goes well.

I think this is a good news story. I personally know friends who when they lived in the inner city had families of pheasants in adjacent vacant lots that they fed.

This is a good thing as Martha Stewart would say.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I grew up in Detroit and those were some hard years. Trust me when I say you can burn 50% of the inner city down and nobody will miss it.

new topics

top topics

join