It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who watches Aljazeera.English? I like it a lot.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I have recently been able to get Aljazeera.English on my cable provider, and I have to say, I'm hooked. There are virtually no ads. The news is truly international. The documentaries are varied and deep. Oh, and they don't loop the same news all day or waste time focusing on non-stories for hours.

I used to watch CNN. I then watched BBC World. I have to say that Aljazeera is far better than both. CNN was the worst. The BBC seemed pretty filtered to me. I appreciate that Aljazeera has its bias, but it seems to me a lot less filtered and the news content a lot more substantial.

One example is a program I saw the other day called 'The Last Outpost' on the Witness show. It told the story of an American / Afghan mountain base on the Pakistan / Afghan border. It interviewed Afghans and Americans. I also saw a documentary on the aftermath of the Nagasaki bomb. Very fascinating. I have never seen such good programming on any other news channel. The BBC used to be good, but never this good, and now the BBC seems very weak.

Anyway, I recommend the channel. I appreciate some people will immediately bash it as Arab / Muslim, but I think if they watched it, they would be very surprised. As a real news channel, it is putting the Western news outlets to shame.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I too enjoy the new english Aljazeera.

Their website also has a great in depth section where many prominent and well researched articles are posted.

And yes as always there is bias against certain things, such as Israel and Iran, however you'll find far more of than in Western MSM.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I visit Al J bout twice a month
to catch up on the other perspective
you don't hear on American MSM.
RT (Russia today) does a decent job
of the other perspective as well.
But I didn't know Al J had got placed
on cable. I don't have cable or sat
so I wouldn't know. I dont watch TV.
TV lost me when they switched everything
to a digi box. I live so far out in the
boonies I couldn't get any stations
so I give it up. Maybe that was a good
thing

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

You do not have a propaganda tube, that HAS to be remedied.

Do you think the push for modernization of the rural areas telecommunication system, has something to do with these areas being pro limited government?

Those that do not usually watch the propaganda tube generally lean toward limited government, I think that is telling.

I myself like to keep an eye on what they are saying on the propaganda tube though. Gotta keep an eye on the enemy.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
You do not have a propaganda tube, that HAS to be remedied.

ah no, I'm doing just fine without
the one-eyed monster

Do you think the push for modernization of the rural areas telecommunication system, has something to do with these areas being pro limited government?

I don't think it had anything to do with it.
I think it was a marketing ploy.
Companies wanted to sell sat dishes or
cable tv and they couldn't do it as long
as people had free analog TV reception.
So they turned it off to make more money
with digital. It was forced on us just
like Obamacare was.

Those that do not usually watch the propaganda tube generally lean toward limited government, I think that is telling.

I don't think so, see above answer

I myself like to keep an eye on what they are saying on the propaganda tube though. Gotta keep an eye on the enemy.

lmao
why do I need a boob tube for that?
I can keep an eye on the propaganda
and the enemy right here on ATS

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

Al Jezeera is more informative than Fox in my opinion. but, i guess it depends on what one wants to be informed about.

international news and international perspectives or:
Civil Rights Leader Glenn Beck and agenda driven forcasting of future events at a sixth grade comprehension level.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I picked up the Aljazeera English app for my iPhone a while , great app , let's you watch there station live on your idevice

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Both RT and Al-Jazeera are better to watch than the usual news channels in my opinion.

They run a lot of very interesting stories instead of repeating the same headlines around the clock.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I watch Al Jazeera English pretty much daily, as well as check it's website for news. I have FIOS and it comes with a really good international news channel package. Along with Al Jazeera, I also get Russia Today, France24, NHK World out of Japan, and the BBC. Also CNN International, which is better than CNN, but that's not saying very much. As far as international coverage goes, Al Jazeera English is the best news channel out there hands down. Lots of old BBC folks work there. Another good channel to check on the web is Press TV out of Iran. It's so refreshing listening to people with different viewpoints having discussions instead of yelling over each other in 3 minute segments. Mainstream American news is really lacking in every category nowadays.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Glad to hear others are willing to watch the channel rather than reject it out of hand because its Arabic.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Al Jazeera is the largest and most controversial Arabic News Channel in the Middle East, The channel that sent shockwaves through the whole Arab world from its first day on air has become a global name which people, governments, and decision-makers cannot afford to ignore,

focusing on the hottest regions of conflict. Founded in 1996, the station has earned the loyalty of a large audience. It has also earned the enmity of various critics who argue that Al Jazeera is overly sensational, with a bent on showing bloody footage from war zones as well as giving coverage to violent groups.

Criticism from varied governments has helped the channel garner credibility from an audience that is used to government imposed censorship and biased coverage,

it was the first of the Arab TV stations to break the unwritten rule that one does not criticize another Arab regime
The station gained worldwide attention following the September 11, 2001 attacks, when it was the only channel to cover the war in Afghanistan live from its office there

Of course the channel has been taking by governments like any other channel, everything now is by the role, to serve the known agendas, still far better than CNN, BBC

new topics

top topics

join