It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 Updates Thread - #(UPDATE Nov. 10)#

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Just like in the political world, it is easy to create an entitlement for a select group, but when you take it away...

I'm curious, how many posts did it take to get to the ad free ATS?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Dbl click your "Solid" bar in your profile, it will take you to this thread which explains it...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

2000 if I'm not mistaken.

The other qualifications originally were 500 flags/500 stars..

It's not entitlement, it was a bit of a bonus for the ones who contributed a lot, I don't see it as a bad thing, although I won't really be upset if the privilege goes away either.

I don't cry over spilt milk.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Is the old recent posts page still available as an option somewhere? I looked around and didn't see it. I really don't like the new one. Old one was perfect imho.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well, I think no matter how flashy it gets it will never have the good content it once did.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Quick story.

I went to my senior prom and wanted to impress my date.

So I ordered the most expensive thing on the menu, some fancy French sounding concoction that I had never heard of.

All my friends including my date ordered the steaks. After about an hour long wait I asked the waiter what was taking so long and he said the special order you placed.

So finally the food comes out and my friends all got an awesome looking thick steak with all the trimmings, and placed in front of me was a silver plate server with one of those fancy domes on it, and when the waiter took the dome off all I saw was about 4 ounces of some orange looking crap and some asparagus placed next to it.

Long short, expensive fancy sounding names and long preparation time does not always a decent meal make.

Keep it simple, serve up a thick satifying steak with all the trimmings and you'll have my business for life.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Has the green on the Recent Posts page been dulled down? Look a lot less bright then it was before, I like it though.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I don't care for the new Recent Posts page . With the old one I was able to scroll down and quickly recognize forums that I am interested in .

The new one , I have to look at every single thread before finding what I am looking for .

This is not an improvement , in my opinion . For the first time ever , I am not pleased with ATS .

The new is not as good as the old .

Disappointed .

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I'm wondering if us members who have worked (contributed, obviously not the only reason for participating..) to get rid of the ads are going to have to deal with them from now on, or if this is just temporary until things get finalized?

I am sorry to sound like a Jackass, but we have been grateful enough to receive a completely new, smoother looking website, and all you care about is the ads?

Remember, the ads are the owners only income from this website.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by joe7pack
Quick story....

Keep it simple, serve up a thick satifying steak with all the trimmings and you'll have my business for life.

Quick story/question about this "business for life".

Once upon a time...
how much is your ATS subscription monthly?
... and they lived happily ever after.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NeutronAvenger

Nopes, as stated in NUMEROUS posts I am loving the new ATS, most people actually think I'm a bit of brown noser the way I encourage ATS most days.

It was a legitimate question about a feature afforded to members who took the time and effort to dedicate quality content as per other members views/opinions of said content.

I don't see how you connected that question as being my ONLY concern...

As for ads being the only avenue of revenue, I am well aware of this.

Furthermore, the level of income generated by the visitors of the website is exponentially larger than the one generated by actual members, considering how many more visitors we have a day than actual members who spend quality time on the site.

~Keeper

[edit on 9/6/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

look under topics on tool bar, upper left. we can also still view previous pages on the recent posts.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Okay, well I take back the part when I said "all you care about".

But the way you said it sounded like no ads is a requirement and not a privilege. We are lucky we don't have to pay for such a great website.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NeutronAvenger

This quote is from the my post a little farther up the page.

It's not entitlement, it was a bit of a bonus for the ones who contributed a lot, I don't see it as a bad thing, although I won't really be upset if the privilege goes away either.

I don't cry over spilt milk.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Touché! I withdraw my argument

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
most people actually think I'm a bit of brown noser the way I encourage ATS most days.

You know what, I think you ought to be able to HONESTLY express your opinion on changes to the site around here without fear of any repercussions, or alternatively, without the fear of being called a brown noser. You won't be called a brown noser by me for your honest opinions, no matter what they are, or how much kudos you give to SO, Springer, or anyone of the staff.

The minute that gets affected by any kind of intimidation from ANYONE, we ALL lose. We NEED the honest opinions of the membership, good or bad. I have given way more kudos than detriment all these years, so technically I guess I could be considered a brown noser too. But I'd be curious to see if the staff think of me that way. They will know by now I don't pull any punches, but on the same token, I am also very appreciate of their cumulative efforts, and the ability to log on to this great site for FREE.

I am sorry that my deepest appreciation for this site can get me into trouble when things change for the worse. It pisses me off- rarely, but it happens. However, I will not be intimidated by ANYONE, even if it means losing my account. And I will also say I appreciate not getting a warning for swearing earlier- sorry about that.
So sue me for caring too much. I guess I shouldn't. Maybe it's time for another break. Might do me some good.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I actually just came back from a sort of break from ATS. A few months or so.

It's actually been quite different since I came back, I have a bit more perspective. I would recommend it to anybody whose having problems "dealing" with ATS as of late.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I was stuck shopping with the wife today, while endlessly waiting, I normally pop-out the old smart phone and hit ATS mobile.

Well............"AYS Mobile is offline"

When will "AYS Mobile"
be back up? Any changes to this also?

delius

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Im lost.. Im lost lost lost!!!

I hit refresh on the main page and it turned into a maze.

The live new posts doesn't seem to work, and thats confusing me.

Has anyone got a map?

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Originally posted by joe7pack
Quick story....

Quick story/question about this "business for life".

Once upon a time...
how much is your ATS subscription monthly?
... and they lived happily ever after.

Look I can tell by your smart reply that you think I ought to be happy with an upgrade/downgrade.

But in fact, large numbers of people who keep coming back to a site are worth quite a bit. Don't believe it?...ask the guys who sold google how much peoples "business" is worth.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join