It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second super-fast flip of Earth's poles found

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
More information:

Magnetic Pole Reversal in Progress

The cause of a magnetic pole shift is a weakened magnetic field and a charged up Earth's core. This occurring at the same time during the 'apex' of a solar cycle - in this case Cycle 24, and you have a scenario which allows charged particles i.e. solar flares, CME's, coronal holes, GRB's, and cosmic galactic rays to have hard shot at Earth's core. When this occurs - one might say 'all hell breaks loose'.

What this suggests is the Earth's inner and outer core becomes extremely active, this in-turn affects the mantle, this in-turn causes earthquakes to rattle and volcanoes to erupt. Additionally, as a result of a fragile magnetic field, charged particles will play havoc on all forms of extreme weather.

There were many posts about weird weather around the globe. Maybe this explains it.

CU

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CUin2013?

The cause of a magnetic reversal is not a weakened magnetic field. Clearly, this claim is made by someone that does not understand the processes involved. The next sentence claims that this occurs at the same time as a solar maximum. Again, a claim by someone that does not understand what is happening. The claim about charged particles interacting with the core is again nonsense.

1. The Earth's magnetic field has been declining since Gauss first measured it.
2. The field seen at the surface is small compared to the field strength within the Earth.
3. A magnetic reversal takes about 5000 years. That's enough time for 450 solar cycles to take place.
4. Charged Particles from the sun interact with the upper atmosphere.

What we see here is a bunch of pseudoscience nonsense tossed together like a salad.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
More info:

The Collapse of Earth's Magnetic Field

The collapse of the earth's magnetic field, which both guards the planet and guides many of its creatures, appears to have started in earnest about 150 years ago. The field's strength has waned 10 percent to 15 percent so far and this deterioration has accelerated of late, increasing debate over whether it portends a reversal of the lines of magnetic force that normally envelop the earth.

During a reversal, the main field weakens, almost vanishes, and then reappears with opposite polarity. Afterward, compass needles that normally point north would point south, and during the thousands of years of transition much in the heavens and earth would go askew. . A reversal could knock out power grids, hurt astronauts and satellites, widen atmospheric ozone holes, send polar auroras flashing to the equator and confuse birds, fish and migratory animals that rely on the steadiness of the magnetic field as a navigation aid.

Key words: "Almost vanishes" Among others.

This talks of a slow reversal, which we now know can happen very quickly.

edit on 9/18/2010 by CUin2013? because: Needed the know

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The collapse of the earth's magnetic field, which both guards the planet and guides many of its creatures, appears to have started in earnest about 150 years ago.

We know that the Earth's magnetic field has been decreasing in strength ever since it was first measured by Gauss. Claiming that it started to decrease or collapse in earnest 150 years ago is simply odd. We only have 150 years of data.

In an interview, Tarduno put the odds of an impending flip at more likely than not, adding that some of his colleagues were placing informal bets on the possibility but realized they would probably be long gone by the time the picture clarified.

Even though it is possible that something might happen sooner than later, chances are nothing significant is happening by 2012.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
More Info:

Solar Storm Warning

I did not search to see if this was posted here elsewhere and likely needs a separate thread.

In light of recent news, the following information is paramount. On July 14, 2010 we learned that our sun is passing through an interstellar energy cloud which excites/energizes the sun. NASA, along with The National Academy of Science and other world renowned scientist are so concerned about this up and coming solar maximum in late 2012, that way back in March 10, 2006 NASA issued a solar storm warning (in writing) for 2012. What NASA omitted in their 2006 solar storm warning is what prompted NASA in the first place to issue a 2012 solar storm warning four years in advance? Then in 2010, NASA again warns the general population of a pending solar storm, telling the population to get ready for a once in a lifetime solar storm. Despite that news agencies and websites like this one are beginning to cover this developing story, no high government official has yet to stick his or her neck out to make an official announcement about the catastrophic implications as to allow the global population to begin preparing.

Despite that high profile scientist along with NASA and the National Academy of Science are all warning us about solar storms in 2012-2013, we ourselves have no way of knowing one way or the other if any catastrophic events will take place such as solar storms, great earthquakes, super volcanic eruptions, pole shifts, planet crossers and so forth. There by we do not imply or make any such claims of pending catastrophic events, rather we simply report on the facts as we find them.

This makes the most sense to me of all the doom and gloom I have read over the last few months.

I read about this energy cloud years ago and now it has been identified as a probable cause for the solar system warming - including global warming here. This site is setting up a solar storm survival guide, hopefully it will be free...

Combine this energy cloud with a solar maximum and a declining magnetic field that protects us and we could literally be toast.

Now, what if there really is some kind of gravity wave due to hit us in 2012?

Real doom, me thinks.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
You found another pseudoscientific site.

Notice how there is no link to a NASA site. If they did they'd be showing that the solar maximum is predicted for 2013, not 2012.

The claims made such as an energy cloud are made up. How do we know this?

Take astrophysicist Alexei Dmitriev. I don't think he is a real person. The only place this name appears is in regards to the same text. Apparently this is an astrophysicist that never published. If it smells like a hoax, and looks like a hoax, and sounds like a hoax it is probably a hoax.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I have found two Alexei Dmitriev's that have published. One is a Russian chemist. The other is a professor in France who seems to research the atmosphere, although I can't seem to find him on the university's site.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I don't take stereologist serious at all.

Notice how there has been no reply to him for quite some time from me.

He is just a troll.

Line 4.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

But no astrophysicist. I was looking for this person and was unable to find anything about an astrophysicist by that name. People have copied the websites claims to many places, but that is where the trial goes dry on an astrophysicist by that name.

Using Russian astronomer names is common in the hoaxes. I'm guessing it's a tactic to get around the claim that all people from NASA are liars.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

You seem to be adept at posting links to hoaxes. That's your MO: furthering hoaxes.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
More on the energy field:

Passing into the energy field From my previous link.

On Christmas Eve, 2009, the startling hypothesis that our Solar System, the Sun and all its planets, are moving into a potentially dangerous and destabilizing interstellar energy cloud, was resoundingly sustained. In their research paper, "A strong, highly-tilted interstellar magnetic field near the Solar System," published the December 24, 2009 issue of Nature, a highly respected scientific journal, M. Opher et al report on data transmitted from Voyager, the twin spacecraft that have been exploring the outer reaches of the Solar System since 1977.

Like I said, I read about this energy cloud a few years ago.

CU

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I've read the paper, as well as ones that cite it and none of them make any mention of it being dangerous. It seems like the only source that is claiming it to be a threat is this mysterious Alexei Dmitriev who doesn't seem to exist.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Paragraph 2 from that page states

We have discovered a strong magnetic field just outside the solar system. This magnetic field holds the interstellar energy cloud together and solves the long-standing puzzle of how it can exist at all

I believe this is a purposeful misquote of Opher. Here is what he actually said

Using data from Voyager, we have discovered a strong magnetic field just outside the solar system," explains lead author Merav Opher, a NASA Heliophysics Guest Investigator from George Mason University. "This magnetic field holds the interstellar cloud together and solves the long-standing puzzle of how it can exist at all.

Opher never calls it an "energy cloud" he calls it an interstellar cloud.

Why does Lawrence Joseph resort to altering the quote? The explanation is simple. He needed to further his hoax.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Hmm, global warming - massive ice cap melting, which btw will likely lead us into the next ice age.

Solar system warming.

Weird weather patterns.

and a report of a massive cloud of hydrogen and helium that will take our solar system 2000-3000 years to pass through, and you can't find any other information on it? Prominant scientists not found on the net?

Hmm. No coverup here. Why would this even appear on a conspiracy website?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

When people make stuff up they make stuff up.

It's clearly a hoax site using misrepresentations and ridiculous claims left and right.

It wasn't that hard to figure out that the site was a hoax site.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
More info:

The Whole Solar System is Undergoing Global Warming

Looks like the solar system warming has already been talked about.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This is likely why the solar system is warming.

Google Video Link

edit on 9/23/2010 by CUin2013? because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Could you explain what any of this has to do with apparently fast changes in Earth's magnetic field orientation?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Yes, this is very true.It's not a matter of "if" but "when" and the rate it's speeding up would seem to indicate it's happening as of late.
What this means for life on earth is a big unknown and can only be postulated.
We can only hope for the best.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

What we do know is that these events are common, geologically speaking. What we also know is that extinction events are not as common. So it seems unlikely that there will be any problems for life on Earth.

It has been stated many times by scientists that study these types of events or the current interactions of the particles and the Earth's magnetic field, that most people will be unaware that the field is reversing.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join