It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second super-fast flip of Earth's poles found

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I guess this is for all the folks that think a pole shift takes thousands of years to happen:

Super fast pole shift

Now Bogue and his colleague Jonathan Glen of the United States Geological Survey in Menlo Park, California, say they have found a second example in Nevada. The lava rock suggests that in one year, Earth's magnetic field shifted by 53 degrees (Geophysical Research Letters, DOI: 10.1029/2010GL044286). At that rate, a full flip would take less than four years, but there could be another interpretation. "It may have been a burst of rapid acceleration that punctuated the steady movement of the field," says Bogue.

Just another piece to the puzzle?

CU

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Wow, no response? No - no no no no from anyone?

I am amazed.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Very interesting indeed, good find...
Four years,Huh!

www.survivalistboards.com...
More interesting in light of this - "In 1989 it sped up again, and in 2007 scientists confirmed that the pole is now galloping toward Siberia at 34 to 37 miles (55 to 60 kilometers) a year."

And this - science.nasa.gov...
The quote that interested me was this - "The pole kept going during the 20th century, north at an average speed of 10 km per year, lately accelerating "to 40 km per year," says Newitt. At this rate it will exit North America and reach Siberia in a few decades." Specificly this part - "lately accelerating"

Very interesting indeed!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
very interesting indeed.
it makes one wonder what will happen after a full shift.
will our magnetic north be different? will navigation systems change?
and of course weather.

we've already had the strangest year of weather i've ever witnessed here in northern california. if it starts to snow in san francisco, home prices will bottom as nobody will be able to drive on the streets of this hilly town.

keep this thread updated if possible. it will be interesting to see what eventually happens.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
very interesting indeed.
it makes one wonder what will happen after a full shift.
will our magnetic north be different? will navigation systems change?
and of course weather.

we've already had the strangest year of weather i've ever witnessed here in northern California. if it starts to snow in san francisco, home prices will bottom as nobody will be able to drive on the streets of this hilly town.

keep this thread updated if possible. it will be interesting to see what eventually happens.

I am in Northern Nevada, strange weather here, too.

What I find interesting is that in order for the iron to polarize with a north/south aspect, it had to be molten. Would there have been more volcanic activity during a super fast pole shift?

I would think so.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
that explains the snow in spring in aus then going from drought to floods in a year

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Something is happening with regards to weather on the globe. Things are different... Reason ? Could have something to do with pole shift. Could just be a cycle and one of many that happens. Solar activity is effecting our magnetic field and thus is and will further create change globally.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Not sure I believe in the pole switch.

The only thing holding me back is that scientists claim every 300,000 years it shifts. They can't know that, they can only postulate.

Some scientists don't even believe the earth is 300,000 years old.

That said, I do think the idea of a polar shift is interesting and cataclysmic. Nice find.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust
["Some scientists don't even believe the earth is 300,000 years old"

Could you please provide a link that backs this up? Thank you!]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesuswasasailor

Sorry. Here's a link, tons of information on this subject. This is just a morsel. Link

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I liked this:

science.nasa.gov...

"Sometimes the field completely flips. The north and the south poles swap places. Such reversals, recorded in the magnetism of ancient rocks, are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago. Are we overdue for another? No one knows."

And this is NASA saying this?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I've always be interested in this. Could this be the real reason for flocks? heards? of wales beaching themselves from time to time?
And I'm here in NY and the weathers been odd too.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
it "could" mean
it "might" suggest

all words from people who don't know whats going on, but want desperately for the facts to fit the fever.

If they were truthfully following science, they'd say they don't know what it means, but further information and testing is needed

They're just 2012 whacko's who are going to be pink in the face and foot-in-mouth come 1/1/13

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
it "could" mean
it "might" suggest

all words from people who don't know whats going on, but want desperately for the facts to fit the fever.

If they were truthfully following science, they'd say they don't know what it means, but further information and testing is needed

They're just 2012 whacko's who are going to be pink in the face and foot-in-mouth come 1/1/13

So the USGS scientists are now 2012 wackos?

I suppose you would feel more comfortable if they came out and said the world was flat, don't fall off.

Science is ever changing. We are all trying to keep up with it. Even the subjects you may or may not believe in.

[edit on 9/4/2010 by CUin2013?]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
so what if the magnetic fields change...there is still north and south...just means that the earth is turned around...so weather might change a little and birds and animals might get a little disoriented but the earth will go on just like it always has....no use getting all worked up about it....If 2012 is the end of the world or human existance i don't want to live my last two years living in anxiety and fear only to find out after two years of stress that it was really just another y2k incident...

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CUin2013?

There are two things that are confused. One is a pole shift and the other is a magnetic reversal. Here you point out a magnetic reversal. A pole shift in the scientific literature is known as true polar wandering or TPW.

The term pole shift is not a magnetic reversal. It is a mistake made by many people. If you look at the scientific literature you won't find the term used to refer to a magnetic reversal event. It is known that magnetic reversals can be somewhat fast. It is also known that TPWs are slow.

All I see in your post is a clear statement that you have confused 2 different types of events. And you wouldn't be the first to have made that mistake.

If you want to see the claims of rapid pole shifts in print you need to read pseudoscience baloney written by Icke or Hancock or the original idea by Hapgoode.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienslayer

The Earth's magnetic field is caused by liquid motion in the molten core. That is too deep to be associated with volcanism. The magnetic field strength of the Earth is stronger inside of the Earth. Even though the location of the north magnetic pole is moving, the strength of the Earth's magnetic field has been decreasing since it was first measured by Gauss. I doubt that there is any correlation between the weather and the movement of the magnetic poles.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

I am not aware of any real scientists that think the Earth is less than 4.6 billion years old.

The existence of magnetic reversals was discovered during oceanic surveys in the 1960s. Before that there was suspicion that the Earth's magnetic field could change. The existence of reversals is well established. It is not a guess, but a well established concept.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

That is not the reason for the beachings. The magnetic field of the Earth is rather stable over the course of a few hours or days or weeks.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Do we actually know the consequences of both? What physical changes to the earth actually happen when either one occur? How do we know that they are not the same?

We see all the strange weather, earthquakes and volcanic activity as well as weird magnetic anomalies on earth and the sun waking up on its way to a maximum.

Too much is happening to just dismiss it all as pseudoscience.

Remember, a round earth was pseudoscience a short while back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join