It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's a scary thought

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I've noticed "as of late" several threads that seem to make a plea, or an appeal for help.
The OP after the opening thread seems uninterested in the conversation as pages go by with no retort to any of the replys members have. Then maybe one reply and the OP goes reclusive again. Few more pages and peple start to catch on.

This gives me the creeps. The OP could be doing his own study on the human psyche for
who knows what reason. Certainly the criminal mind could use these types of forums to
gain knowledge of human weakness in the mind.

Could not even a serial killer compile a study of what attracts and repels human beings?
Applying this type of knowledge to set up his victims?
Con artists I'm sure could hone their skills on a site like this. Most serial killers are con-artists.
So how do you feel about an OP who just monitors the conversation he started?

Let me also say I am in noway making any accusations about anyone on this site. This thread is pure speculation. Not to be taken seriously in any way. I hope by saying this to meet all responsibilities to ALL my fellow members.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm sure this would not be the first website where some sociology or psychology student doing a thesis paper made a post just to study the reaction.That seems totally possible to me.
Not too sure about the serial killer aspect, but who knows?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

I'm sure this would not be the first website where some sociology or psychology student doing a thesis paper made a post just to study the reaction.That seems totally possible to me.

Your making good sense to me. How could you know for sure unless
U B DA perp?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

that thought was not too scary.

(i'm paraphrasing as to not single anyone out here):

but i have noticed a trend with such threads.
"i'm a loser and no body likes me"

but their last thread title was a bash on the entire human species.
all men murderers and all women are prostitutes.

does that mean the man who authored that thread is a murderer?
i mean if all men are murderers, maybe he was just reaching out for like minded people???

i don't know what to think of these people, i say what i think needs to be said, but it is difficult to gauge what a person is going through, and where they have been, and been through also.

my post style may change from time to time, but my target audience is not always the same. i might be talking to a senior citizen war vet, or i might be talking to a teenager. if i were to talk to one like they were the other, i might offend one, and lose the other in the intent of my words.

i usually review a person's profile page prior to responding to such threads.

just some thought,
et

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

The heading doesn't really exagerate though. As it is kind of creepy when you think about it.

but i have noticed a trend with such threads.
"i'm a loser and no body likes me"

but their last thread title was a bash on the entire human species.
all men murderers and all women are prostitutes.

does that mean the man who authored that thread is a murderer?
i mean if all men are murderers, maybe he was just reaching out for like minded people???

That's very true I think. Or he may just be trying to ease his conscience
by declaring such a thing in public?

i don't know what to think of these people, i say what i think needs to be said, but it is difficult to gauge what a person is going through, and where they have been, and been through also.

my post style may change from time to time, but my target audience is not always the same. i might be talking to a senior citizen war vet, or i might be talking to a teenager. if i were to talk like one like they were the other, i might offend one, and lose the other in the intent of my words

I think I will start do'in that a lot more now. Checking profiles is a smart idea for sure. Thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I think sometimes the people that do this are reaching out in their own way. They may be depressed or anxious and not sure how to reply to others that post to their response. I wouldn't read too much into the serial killer thing - after all serial killers are busy plotting their next kill. It never hurts to be patient, if the OP never responds then no reason for others to do so either.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I think sometimes the people that do this are reaching out in their own way

One poster in the,"I don't have any friends" thread, had a good point.
Why would some one write a thread about not having any friends.
Then not be dying to talk to someone?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by crazydaisy

I think sometimes the people that do this are reaching out in their own way

One poster in the,"I don't have any friends" thread, had a good point.
Why would some one write a thread about not having any friends.
Then not be dying to talk to someone?

Lonely people generally do not want to "talk". They want someone to talk to them. They could care less about "back and forth" interaction. Attention is what they seek.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Difficult to answer as we don't know everything about this person. However I will use myself as an example - I am an introvert and well aware of it. I prefer the company of nature and animals to people (except thru the internet). At times I feel I need to make friends and make a small attempt at it, perhaps this person is doing the same.

And to be realistic - internet friends are not the same as personal friends.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I think you raise a good question and it is noticeable (to me) when a thread author vanishes or has little to do with a thread they created. I believe it to be suspect and am less inclined to be involved myself once I see that it's occurring.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Originally posted by randyvs
The OP after the opening thread seems uninterested in the conversation as pages go by with no retort to any of the replys members have. Then maybe one reply and the OP goes reclusive again. Few more pages and peple start to catch on.

Or maybe some of them just type very very slooooooowly.....lol.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Every person is different.

I know that a lot of people post at different times and them are offline for many hours at a time (work, school, etc.) which delays their ability to respond.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Or maybe some of them just type very very slooooooowly.....lol.
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

Oh that was right on time. lmao

Good one

KJ

Lonely people generally do not want to "talk". They want someone to talk to them. They could care less about "back and forth" interaction. Attention is what they seek.

ok a valid point to be sure. As much as I try to keep the feelings of others in mind. I never looked at that way really so thank you indeed. You
sound as if you have some insight?

Skadi
I almost fell out of my chair . First thing you've agreed with me on in months I believe.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be cruel, but we have to also take into account that there may be people on here who just might be plain old mentally unstable and "out of it"...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Seeking attention can take many forms and involve different things. Posts that pull on emotional strings can pull in a lot of stars and flags.

Not to say that all these posts have that kind of motive, but I have seen a couple recently that left me thinking exactly that.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I think you are right to excercise caution with people on this board...

You have no idea of what is on the other side of the computer... Or of what they are capable of...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

I'm not trying to be cruel, but we have to also take into account that there may be people on here who just might be plain old mentally unstable and "out of it"...

Is it really that obvious? And I was hop'in nobody would notice.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

You have no idea of what is on the other side of the computer... Or of what they are capable of...
reply to post by YourPopRock

Exactly! Not saying everybody should be paranoid. Just that we should be concious of that fact at all times.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
If people responded more like I do, we could successfully thwart any attempts to discern human psychology that is academically useful or of utility to the malbalanced.

On the other hand...

The biggest psychos have seemed to participate heavily in their own threads.

On the other hand...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock
I think you are right to excercise caution with people on this board...

Nor do you know that they really need a computer to mess with your life. If they don't like your posts, it could be curtains for you-- soon or later, you never know, but it swells the suspense.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join