It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christopher Hitchens on Glenn Beck's Rally

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
He called it a big 'white self pity party'??
Yet another person trying to interject race where it doesn't belong. That's pretty ignorant. Obviously he either didn't watch it, or just wants to spew. His rant is devoid of facts.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

The only reason he's using faith like that is to control the masses...just like 99% of people who used religion for political agendas.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Yet another person trying to interject race where it doesn't belong. That's pretty ignorant. Obviously he either didn't watch it, or just wants to spew. His rant is devoid of facts.

So do you deny that an OVERWHELMING majority of the crowd at the rally was white? Granted one can't state that EVERY person there was white...but an overwhelming majority sure was. Surely Blacks, Hispanics, Middle Easterners, ect want to restore order to? LOL

This is setting up to be QUITE the November.....

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ElijahWan

CSPAN - I saw faces of every color there. I saw a whole lotta' color on the stage. If it were a 'white pity party' then the niece of MLK wouldn't have given her speech ... black ministers wouldn't have been honored ... hispanic and native americans would have been left out ... MLK wouldn't have been honored as he was ... all the people of color who were there would have ran the other way instead of joining in and helping with the rally .... etc etc

Race had nothing to do with the rally. It's absurd to try to bring it in.
Everyone was peaceful. It was nonpolitical. It was a religious rally.

If someone wants to find fault or question - then question why a self professed Libertarian (Beck) led a worship rally telling people to get back to God. Libertarians usually mind their own business about everything - especially religious worship. I mentioned elsewhere, perhaps he's inventing the Fundamentalist Christian Libertarian party or something.

There are a few question marks about the rally .. but race isn't one of them. It was irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Of course they had people of different races on the stage...good PR

Ever wondered why during public rallies of presidents, the people in the background are of all races too? Now you know...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Of course they had people of different races on the stage...good PR

Or it really was a peaceful, prayerful rally of people who want to bring honor and peace to the country.

Even if those who set it up did so with race-PR in mind ... (and I'm not so sure about that) ... those who went and those who participated on stage weren't in on the PR but were instead in on the 'honor' part of it.

Ever wondered why during public rallies of presidents, the people in the background are of all races too? Now you know...

No, I never wondered. I know it's all staged.

Get Me More White People

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

reply to post by ElijahWan

CSPAN - I saw faces of every color there. I saw a whole lotta' color on the stage. If it were a 'white pity party' then the niece of MLK wouldn't have given her speech ... black ministers wouldn't have been honored ... hispanic and native americans would have been left out ... MLK wouldn't have been honored as he was ... all the people of color who were there would have ran the other way instead of joining in and helping with the rally .... etc etc

Race had nothing to do with the rally. It's absurd to try to bring it in.

The black people were there to perform on stage, just like every other Tea Party minstrel show.

And he got the ONE MLK relative who hates gays and women having freedom of choice enough to go along with whomever will give her a platform. Alveda King is estranged from the rest of the family, was only 17 when he was martyred, and is on the opposite side of the political spectrum from him. She wants to judge people by their sexual preference rather than the content of their character. She was ONLY there because of her last name...and because she was black, of course.

She also claims that MLK was a Republican and that he was "pro-life," despite the fact that he won an award from Planned Parenthood in 1966. Oh, and she condemned Coretta Scott King's support for gay and abortion rights, because as MLK's niece she was obviously qualified to second-guess his widow.

She also said "She [Coretta] was married to him [Martin Luther King, Jr.]. I’ve got his DNA. She doesn’t. She didn’t. She’s passed away.” As if that makes her the inheritor of his legacy. Protip: nieces don't have the same DNA as their uncles anyway.

By your logic, if a liberal rally has Ron Reagan Jr. on stage that would mean President Reagan would approve, right?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Just another reaching article from the esoteric academic elite. Desperate times...

Note the description/veiled insult of Beck as being "Quasi Educated"

Well, that should automatically disqualify anyone who is not part of the progressive liberal movement that has turned caustic in an effort to preserve themselves.

God forbid people in this nation actually experience a much needed religious awakening during a moment in history when our "culture" is forever sliding down a slippery slope.

Oh yeah and Hitchens is a leading proponent of the "new atheism" movement and he is trying to polish the image by pushing this as "antitheism" rather than atheism. Typical.

So, he also has an agenda eh??

Something tells me that the so-called "academic elite" would not be nearly so esoteric in their ideas if more people actually took time to learn and think critically instead of making from-the-hip emotional reactions.

Glenn Beck is quasi-educated, as is anyone whom is self-educated with a serious bias behind their efforts.

For example, I would say myself that I am quasi-educated on the subject of steam engines, as I learned about them in my spare time with the bias to be only focusing upon British steam locomotives. I would never call myself an expert on steam locomotion, I have no formal study in mechanical engineering, but I know enough for my own hobby.

As for a religious awakening, it's becoming a very hot-topic in some theological communities right now as to if Glenn Beck is trying to inject Mormon ideas into the American Religious Right. Before any kind of mass-awakening can occur there are some very serious theological questions that need to be answered lest this "revival" he is trying to spark turns into something of the Buddy Christ variety.

Rushing into this without first applying rational thought and a very critical eye will instead engender a kind of "Mc-Revival" as it were, while it may look appetizing to a lot of the evangelical community, upon digestion it will be unfilling and lead to serious heartburn for the religious landscape in America.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

And you just read the headline, not the article itself. And then you commented on it as if you read the whole thing...but somehow only quoted the headline.

That's pretty ignorant.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy
As for a religious awakening, it's becoming a very hot-topic in some theological communities right now as to if Glenn Beck is trying to inject Mormon ideas into the American Religious Right. Before any kind of mass-awakening can occur there are some very serious theological questions that need to be answered lest this "revival" he is trying to spark turns into something of the Buddy Christ variety.

Rushing into this without first applying rational thought and a very critical eye will instead engender a kind of "Mc-Revival" as it were, while it may look appetizing to a lot of the evangelical community, upon digestion it will be unfilling and lead to serious heartburn for the religious landscape in America.

First off, the evangelicals will have to accept that Jesus and Satan are brothers, that Jesus was not conceived via the Holy Spirit (God was the LITERAL, PHYSICAL father of Jesus...so she wasn't a virgin) and that there's no such thing as the three-in-one "Godhead" if they're to be included in Glenn Beck's revival.

I look forward to seeing the fun as they find these things out.

[edit on 8/31/10 by mothershipzeta]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothershipzeta

Just another reaching article from the esoteric academic elite. Desperate times...

God forbid we should pay some attention to the educated rather than the professionally ignorant.

The so called "educated" push more agendas then Carter's got pills. They are able to do so just on the presumtion of education in an Ivy league school. Id rather listen to somebody's gut feeling then somebody regurgitating something out of a textbook. The whole idea of who is "educated" and who is not is rediculous at best.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy

First off, the evangelicals will have to accept that Jesus and Satan are brothers, that Jesus was not conceived via the Holy Spirit (God was the LITERAL, PHYSICAL father of Jesus...so she wasn't a virgin) and that there's no such thing as the three-in-one "Godhead" if they're to be included in Glenn Beck's revival.

I look forward to seeing the fun as they find these things out.

[edit on 8/31/10 by mothershipzeta]

Not to mention that Native Americans are a lost tribe of Israel that had special revelation after Jesus' rise from the tomb (Glenn Beck even alluded to this in his speech,) and the United States Constitution (give or take the amendments) is a divinely inspired document.

There is a lot here for the Christian Right to swallow if they want to join forces with Mr. Beck, and there already is a major backlash going on within the more hardline members of the movement.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie56

God forbid we should pay some attention to the educated rather than the professionally ignorant.

The so called "educated" push more agendas then Carter's got pills. They are able to do so just on the presumtion of education in an Ivy league school. Id rather listen to somebody's gut feeling then somebody regurgitating something out of a textbook. The whole idea of who is "educated" and who is not is rediculous at best.

If everyone thought like that, we'd still believe the earth is flat, meteorites are an act of god, evolution is wrong, the sun revolves around the sun and not vice versa, or that the we are the centre of the universe...amongst other crazy things.

Education > gut feel!!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

...and while we're at it, let's run down the Obamessiah's experience record.... oh yeah, he doesn't have one except for his "community organizer" stuff.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Oh yeah and Hitchens is a leading proponent of the "new atheism" movement and he is trying to polish the image by pushing this as "anti-theism" rather than atheism.

And that's a Bad Thing?

Where do I sign up to give my support?

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by dizzie56

If everyone thought like that, we'd still believe the earth is flat, meteorites are an act of god, evolution is wrong, the sun revolves around the sun and not vice versa, or that the we are the centre of the universe...amongst other crazy things.

Education > gut feel!!

Education < gut feel

Just ask Christopher Columbus who had a gut feeling that he could get to the Indies by heading west. Just ask Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, etc. They all had some education, but it was the gut feelings that made them better men.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dillweed
As a longtime follower of Mr. Beck it's obvious how few of the comments are from people that have actually watched him or listened to him for any lenghth of time. This man is not a 'nut'. Do not underestimate him.

Like a Carnival Barker - - he draws some in for the show.

He is an intentional opportunist manipulator.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Wow, MSZ, you sure have a lot of time to post everything you can about Beck.

Do you have any insights from yourself?

You know, like how much of my labor do you want? 25% 50% 75% 100%?

Tell me, do you believe a person should be allowed individual property rights?

Do you believe I should be limited in how much money I can earn?

Do you think it is my responsibility to pay for a mosque to be built? How bout a Catholic Church, a Jewish one, a Hindu, a Mormon?

Do you think that corporations should be allowed to own property and not have to pay taxes on their profits? You do know that not one corporation worth their salt in accounting, pays one dime do you not?

Funny how the leftists do not want to actually make the corporations devolve back into what they were meant to be created for, they want to take them over and STILL disallow individuals the RIGHTS to their LABOR, their PROPERTY, their LIFE, and their LIBERTY.

How would you feel about just a straight sales tax on everything, instead of the millions of myriad taxes that are placed on the individual? This would ELIMINATE the ability of ANYONE, including your supposed enemy the corporations from avoiding taxation. Funny how you peeps do NOT want change, YOU want POWER. Period.

You people make the giant want to puke.

Rose colored glasses and glass houses. Pffft.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by saltheart foamfollower]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

A star and a -------------->

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hey everyone, Beck is on.

Dare you to watch it.

Oh, I forgot, you have to get your filtered Beck through the Media Matters colored glasses.

Nevermind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join