It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Intelligence Chief Dies While Swimming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Water is dangerous these days... covert war going on?

The deputy head of Russia's powerful military intelligence agency died mysteriously in a swimming accident, Russian media reported Saturday.

The report did not give any further details on the circumstances of the death, or the location.

Ivanov was deputy head of the GRU, the overseas intelligence gathering arm of the Russian military

I wonder who killed him... I mean do people really die in ``swimming accidents``?

Never heard of that one before.

I'll just put that out there... connected with the Polish plane crash? If it was done by Russia, wouldn't that guy be connected to it?

We don't know where he died... if he died outside Russia, a foreign plot is more likely...

Or is this just some covert because he was found in a hotel room with dead hookers and blow?

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Could somebody clarify what the benefit is to disposing an intelligence chief?
Agents I understand, they are involved in a particular operation so taking one out would postpone/abort that particular mission. A chief is just replaced by someone else who will be read into the position or already be aware of a lot of the things that are happening.

To try and remove him for political mindset also makes little sense since all the intelligence people operate under similar methodologies I would imagine. I doubt the political ideology will sway very much as it's closer to a military organization where objectives remain the same.

I dunno, I lack the information to really make much of this. Has this particular chief done something to upset the Kremlin?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Drowning kills approx. 1.2 million people every year , globally .

www.ilsf.org.../drowning/facts

.... and ALL deaths become statistics !?!?!?!?!?

CX

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

I wonder who killed him... I mean do people really die in ``swimming accidents``?

Never heard of that one before.

You should go have a beer and a chat with a lifeguard, they just might think differently.

CX.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
yep...sadly if this were an assassination...nobody would ever know, simply because drowning is the perfect cover considering that it's a pretty common killer

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I wonder who killed him ?

Maybe, just maybe, the man really did snuff it on his own accord. When I was younger, I myself nearly drowned by swimming to a depth I could not recover from.

This type of conspiracy insanity, can seriously start to mess with you, when looking for a conspiracy in everything.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
A Russian spy ring is recently uncovered in the US.

A cryptoanalyst is found possibly dismembered and drugged in his home in the UK.

Putin states publicly that those responsible for comprimising the spy ring will probably end up dead in a ditch, either drunk or drugged.

Now a Russian spy chief meets an untimely demise.

Sounds to me like the spy chief's "mole" in Great Britian ended up being a double agent who may have uncovered the Russian spy ring state side.

As a result, the spy chief was likely terminated by his employer: Namely on indirect orders from Putin.

[edit on 8/29/2010 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Very likely indeed.

People who rise to that sort of position tend to know where the 'bodies' are. Assuming that it wasn't a legitimate accident, this man may have known too many secrets.

Imagine for a minute that this man may have stood at the end of a very long and ugly paper-trail. With him now dead there is no chance of him cutting a deal to save himself at the expense of those who gave the original orders.

Sometimes the best damage control comes from preventing the damage from happening in the first place.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Bit more data...

Body of Russian diplomat found on Turkish coast

Fishermen found the body of the Russian diplomat on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey. Most likely the Russian diplomat drowned while on vacation in Syria.

Russian diplomat's body found on Hatay shore

A body found by fishermen on the coast of Çevlik in the border province of Hatay five days ago has been identified as Russian diplomat Yuri Ivanov, Anatolia News Agency reported Friday.

The diplomat drowned while on vacation in Latakia in Syria, but his body could not be found despite widespread search operations. Authorities said the wind and waves must have dragged the body toward the Samandağ district’s coast.

Officials said they had been able to identify the body by corresponding with both domestic and international authorities and were helped by Ivanov’s cross necklace.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

And we have more!

Russia`s vice-consul in Odessa, southern Ukraine, was discovered dead early on Monday, local media said.

"It is true, the man passed away," a diplomatic source told RIA Novosti. "I can`t tell you what happened, it is being investigated."

Misto.Odessa.ua, the city`s news portal, reported that Igor Tsvetkov, born in 1965, apparently hanged himself in the Russian consulate building in Odessa. The diplomat`s wife and child are reported to have been in an adjoining room when the alleged suicide occurred.

Tsvetkov, the vice consul in charge of bilateral cultural cooperation, was also rumored to be responsible for providing support to pro-Russian political parties in Odessa. This January media in the southern city reported that a briefcase containing official documents was stolen from the official`s car.

news-back2.rin.ru...

Someone is cleaning house. .

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tarrok
Could somebody clarify what the benefit is to disposing an intelligence chief?
Agents I understand, they are involved in a particular operation so taking one out would postpone/abort that particular mission. A chief is just replaced by someone else who will be read into the position or already be aware of a lot of the things that are happening.

To try and remove him for political mindset also makes little sense since all the intelligence people operate under similar methodologies I would imagine. I doubt the political ideology will sway very much as it's closer to a military organization where objectives remain the same.

I dunno, I lack the information to really make much of this. Has this particular chief done something to upset the Kremlin?

Who knows. Probably met his fate for the same reasons Colby did in a canoe accident. Somebody higher up probably wanted to cover their tracks.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
There's a war going on behind our back.
I just wonder who it involves, be it China, Russia, U.S, whoever.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
A Russian spy ring is recently uncovered in the US.

A cryptoanalyst is found possibly dismembered and drugged in his home in the UK.

Putin states publicly that those responsible for comprimising the spy ring will probably end up dead in a ditch, either drunk or drugged.

You know, I was thinking the same exact thing.
These things don't just happen.

I bet we will never know the whole truth

top topics

join