It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Cat Bin Lady' Conspiracy!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Disclaimer; If you haven't heard of the 'cat bin lady' then save yourself! Leave this page immediately, go elsewhere on the site and read and contribute to more important threads. Where you may actually learn something.

For the rest of us... It is too late.

----------

So unless you are very lucky, or have been living under a rock, I'm sure you have heard of the 'cat bin lady.' Has a ring to it doesn't it?

This is a story the MSM has latched onto this week and propelled to the top of the most viewed news list. Every major station in the UK has discussed the matter in depth both radio and television, and of course their websites. This coverage has included interviews with RSPCA members, police officers, neighbours of the cat owner etc.

Now first off lets take a look at some of the other stories which have not have received appropriate coverage this week;

www.bbc.co.uk...

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

www.google.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

edition.cnn.com...=cCHdNriI1Qr&wom=false

www.bbc.co.uk...

Now obviously this is just my opinion about what appropriate news coverage amounts to. But in my experience this past week there has been an article each day since it first broke about the cat bin lady. In comparison there was a small 5 minute section dedicated to the repatriation of a British soldiers body.

On channel Four news last night they actually used quotes from Twitter users as the centre of a news story yet again about the 'cat bin lady.' This lasted at least 5 minutes.

Is it just me or does this say something about the state of our society?

Here is a couple of the 'biggest' groups relating to flood relief for Pakistan on Facebook;

www.facebook.com...

www.facebook.com...

www.facebook.com...

-----

Now here is a group relating to the cat bin lady;

Edit to remove link can be found on Facebook.
-----

Notice anything different? Perhaps in the numbers of members/likes?

Yep disgusting. I think you will agree. Nick Clegg also released a statement regarding the matter. Surprisingly Mr. Clegg I don't care about your opinions on this, how about you reserve your important time and thoughts for state affairs.

If I was in his position and asked by a member of the press for a statement on the issue. I would have informed them that the economy will be shortly entering the toilet, we are still at war in Afghanistan, and one of the greatest humanitarian disasters is occurring as we speak in Pakistan. So I don't give a f***ing $h*t about the 'cat bin lady'!!!

So where is the conspiracy? You might be asking. Surely all this is evidence of is ignorance to be found in the MSM and Facebook, Twitter etc?

Well I believe it is not only that but something more. Ask yourself why on earth the owner of this cat had installed CCTV in the front of his home. Two cameras pointed in opposite directions no less. Maybe he's just paranoid, maybe he's had problems with anti social teens. Both entirely possible.

However when you couple that with this 'random' woman walking along, who stops as soon as she sees a cat, then proceeds to look in opposite directions to make sure no one is around. Before dumping the cat in the bin. For some reason she fails to look directly at the house, for example, to check the owner might not be peering out of their window, or better yet, for the only two CCTV cameras on a private house within a 5 mile radius.

So was the whole thing a set up to distract the masses, another form of distraction that worked surprisingly well? Or was it just a random act of cruelty carried out by someone with a dislike for cats? To me it all seemed way to easy and structured.

Whatever it was I have found it hard to make sense of the media this week, more so than usual.

In closing; the cat is fine. The woman will be prosecuted by the RSPCA. Unfortunately for the folks on Facebook, Daily Mail, YouTube etc, the 'cat bin lady' will not be executed. I agree it's horrendous, surely if anything was worth being murdered or run out of town this is it.

I know we should start a facebook group, "bring back the death penalty for the cat bin lady" expect 200 k members by the end of the week!

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Chinese people have been eating cats for a loooong time... No one is prosecuting them.

The subject is iddiotic and unnessary to talk about. A good point about distracting... Since the darn thing's everywhere. Maybe I just don't care enough about it. I hit a possum the other day... Anyone wana hate me?

Good post OP!

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Jkd Up]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I like the idea but on careful reflection after interviewing all involved I cannot help but come to the conclusion that the cat was neither dead nor alive until she put it in the bin. Additionally I feel pretty sure by examining her gait, head movements, and blank face that she was under the influence of MKUltra style mind control at the time. The cat on the other hand was working for the Persians.

But yes you are right the MSM and TPTB are definitely encouraging our obsession with the flotsam and jetsam of trivial news to keep us away from the real issues.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by inkslug

Additionally I feel pretty sure by examining her gait, head movements, and blank face that she was under the influence of MKUltra style mind control at the time. The cat on the other hand was working for the Persians.

Love it! Thanks for the post

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
"Our mind is of three catagories: What we know, what we don't know and what we don't know we don't know. Not knowing is unfortunate; Not knowing that we don't know is tragic." --W. Erhart

Big S&F my friend! I completely agree. The media keeps us distracted with relatively minor issues, while ignoring the matters that we should be learning about. Some people may argue that the media puts on whatever the people will tune into and watch but that isn't entirely accurate. The people tune into the news to see what's going on. People don't think to themselves, "I'm not going to turn to this news station because their news is always dreary and not intertaining enough". The people want to see what's happening in the world, even if they don't know it.

Sadly, as a society, we have evolved in a manner in which we now turn on the news to watch whatever pundits cling to our own personal biases, regardless of whether the news is important or not.

There isn't too many things that I am certain of but one of those things is definitely the fact that the MSM keeps us distracted instead of informing us of the realities taking place around us. The "press corps" no longer serves their benefit to society and sadly, we are going to pay the price for it. In fact, we are already paying that price, though it will only become much more dire as time goes on, ignorance flourishes and society degrades.

People in the west like to focus on the fact that China, North Korea and a few other nations have censored news, while ignoring the fact that our own news is censored. What's even worse, is that most of us in the west, don't even realize that our news is censored. At least the people in the countries listed above know that their news is censored and that they aren't getting the whole picture. We are in a far more dangerous position than they are.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

--airspoon

[edit on 29-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Totally agree with you Airspoon. We have this illusion of free speech along with media censorship.

Which basically amounts to anyone with 'anything' to say can say it. The trouble is that 'anything' usually takes the form of nonsense which is placed on a pedestal for others to admire.

As there is only a finite amount of room in people's concentration, this results in any truly poignant message taking a back seat.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Project Camelot, nothing more, nothing less. It was a good experiment while it lasted to test the reaction/s of the Sheeple.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Its simple mate!

The media talk and report about what the public want to hear! Its called RATINGS!

No conspiracy unfortunately for you!

zzz

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
ya but people need to learn to fix their own problems, the cat did nothing to deserve that.
you need to learn some compassion friend.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ong Bak

you need to learn some compassion friend.

I am very compassionate... More so for the people in Pakistan and Bagdad than a cat that was dropped in a bin. No apolgies for that I'm afraid.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Kinda hokey but fun - they should have locked the real cat bin lady in a dumpster herself.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It's not a conspiracy, it just shows what people understand and can care about.

Everything else is too complex. Cat inside bin makes a perfect story for the population to follow.

edit: Maybe it IS a conspiracy:

Cat Bin Lady

Osama Bin Laden

[edit on 29-8-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I agree OP , I have noted this many times before and discussed this with others . It is what I call the puppy down the well or kitten trapped in a wall routine . I am typically getting major news 2 days to a week ahead of the MSM . Major stories , I watch for the news to break and get a soft story about firefighters spending eight hours rescuing a puppy down a well .In the mean time 28 people were blown up in a market in the middle east or 300 drowned in a flash flood . 2-3 days later it hits the news as a breaking story or does not get aired at all . I saw one news break that was a month old and had already discussed it with my wife . MSM is manipulated and manipulating .

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The 'Cat Bin Lady story' was a popular news item because it was a shining example of the everyday callousness that exists in society - something that a lot of people can relate to.

The flooding in Pakistan is an abstract event for many people and one that does not affect them so they pay it less attention.

I dont think that the media is distracting the public - it is responding to it.

I have to say that (to me) both are important, newsworthy issues.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Nice thread! Agreed!

I have been slightly annoyed at how much news time this story is getting while more important things are going on in the world.

For example, I didn't know about the 33 miners stuck in Chile because ALL they wanted to talk about was Tiger Woods wife & Lindsey Lohan. I couldn't believe the amount of time the celebrity stories get over real life issues like these men being stuck down there for months to come. People are so worried about a cat being rescued from a garbage can yet they don't seem to care about the 33 lives stuck in a mine, or the people suffering from floods in Pakistan or heck what's even going on in their own back yard! People are suffering every day all over yet this cat is more important and makes people want to hang this lady. Give me a break. I love animals and what she did was cruel but does it deserve a 30min segment for heavens sake!

It just amazes me how people seem to get all up in arms when an animal is treated in a cruel manner yet they don't seem to care when it's one of their own kind.

The MSM is a joke, it's turned into Hollywood. I use to watch the news when I was little and I don't ever remember it being so situated on celebrities and crap like it is now. I remember seeing news and stories from around the world about issues. I even remember sometimes my mom changing it or making us go in another room because she thought the content was too much for an 8 year old. To me it seems like these newscasters want to be mini celebs and they don't care about the news or what's going on in the world.

S&F!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Once again the Big Bad Press Ogre strikes.. It's quite simple (but not half as exciting). We get the press we deserve. The press probably judged that we were suffering from compassion fatigue. Besides, the sight of sodden, starving people scrabbling for food parcels makes us feel a tad guilty when tucking into our fish and chip supper. So what better than a mad old bat stuffing a cat into a wheelie bin.
In fact I'm all for getting rid of cats - but preferably in a rather more humane way.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

Actually, I think the "cat story" has been promoted by the media because it is a story that just gets people hot under the collar and that makes more news. No sooner had they revealed the "cat woman" they were reporting death threats against her - as if they thought that would not happen.

Anyway, the major news of the week - the tragedy in Pakistan has been well reported in the UK on mainsteam media - the BBC, ITN and Sky. The breaking news of alleged match rigging by players in the Pakistani Cricket team is also getting worthwhile coverage, plus the fact they lost the Test match (yeah).

I don't think that TPTB control the press to the extent some people suggest. They (the news companies) report the news that people read and commercial concerns such as MSM et al who are a slave to "visitor stats" and advertising will tend to report sensational news that your average member of the public will deign to read. Human tragedy - such as Pakistan - is frankly boring to most people ("God, another tragedy" they cry), whereas a "cat in a bin" gets people interested. It's human nature and what they gossip about at work.

Off topic. As a Birder, I think more cats should be placed in bins due their adverse effect on British wildlife - that statement will probbly get a few death threats from my fellow ATS colleagues, so I feel complelled to put one of these

Regards

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

I was with you up until the cat genocide part
Just kidding. But you're right about the fish supper starving children contrast. Much easier to say, well at least I don't throw cats in the bin!

mblahnikluver celebrity is consuming all media. Something that gets a lot of hits on Youtube now gets prime time coverage. The sad thing is there is no way back from it now, it will only get worse. The next step is having the news sponsored by companies. The weather forecast in the UK is already sponsored by insurance companies and the like.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It was an interesting story for all of 5 mins, i have a cat so i thought awww that's terrible. But that's as far as i would go...sending death threats? plastering it all over the news for more than a day? Sorry that's just ridiculous...And yes, some cultures eat cats, i have no problem with cultures eating dogs or cats if they wish, and i would probably try it if offered in one of these countries. But Uk doesn't so that point means moot.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
reply to post by Silver Star

Off topic. As a Birder, I think more cats should be placed in bins due their adverse effect on British wildlife - that statement will probbly get a few death threats from my fellow ATS colleagues, so I feel complelled to put one of these

You have exposed yourself!

Might as well come clean and tell us that you real identity is Bill Oddie!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join