It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror movie recommendations

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hi all.

I'm a bit of a horror fanatic and I was wondering if any of you can recommend and good horror flicks that I might not have seen.
The only kind of horror that I really don't like are the current crop of "Saw" clones, and Texas chainsaw massacre type slasher films, I just find them uncomfortable to watch.

My favorites include

Jacobs Ladder (one of the best films of any genre in my opinion and genuinely disturbing on a number of levels)

Antichrist (violent but with a really interesting message)

The Exorcist (One of the first movies I ever saw that actually made me sleep with the lights on for a while)

The Hunger (really bizarre 80's vampire film with David Bowie)

The company of wolves (amazingly filmed Werewolf movie, the cinematic equivalent of smoking opium)

A Clockwork Orange (Not sure if I can categorize this as a horror, but certainly upsetting)

So does anyone have any gems of movies that I may have missed?

[edit on 25-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Trick R Treat was a really great movie. Not as gory as the others on your list; but a great tribute to Creepshow and tales from the crypt.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Ohh yes that was good, I have seen it though.

I love those kind of movies that are made up of several different stories (vignettes), the original Creep shows are classic!!

Do you remember the story in Creep show 1 where the guy walks around shouting "where's my cake!!!!" that gave me nightmares for weeks

I have tried my hand at writing horror scripts (got pretty close to having on produced) and I would love to bring back the 80's style of horror that didn't take itself so seriously but still managed to send a chill down the spine.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Here is a good list from a while back. Lots of foreign/esoteric stuff.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Thanks for that, there are some films that I haven't seen on that list.
Who is the guy in your avatar?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

No problemo.

The guy in my avatar is William S. Burroughs.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Thank you again, just looked at his wiki page, looks like I am going to have to buy some more books! Can't believe I haven't read any of his work before as I love John Walters.... fore shame!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Have you seen REPO?

Dark humor musical.

It was so good i was even willing to OVERLOOK the fact they cast paris hilton.
(As a spoiled plastic surgery addict, obvious choice considering)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
LOL no I haven't I saw House of Wax and refused to watch another movie with Paris Hilton in it.... Maybe I should give it a try

[edit on 25-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I've not seen HOW.
But I do have an unnatural hatred of paris hilton.
And that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying Repo.

What I would do to paris :bash:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Reeker is a pretty good one, as far as the new horror movies go.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Surely hitting someone on the head with a mallet after you have shot them with an Uzi is kind of redundant

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

I have seen that one too. quiet a good twist at the end that I didn't realize I was being set up for

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
For my money, and with no doubt, the Original version of The Shining is worth its weight in gold for scares!

Awesome movie.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

First movie to scare me.
I bought it last year

Jack Nicholson as as Jack Torrance = well cast

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

Even after all these years, the scene were Danny is riding his big wheel through the empty hallways still makes me cringe! Even though I know what's coming it's still that powerful a scene.

Kubrick was a Genius.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Now I will be forever slightly afraid of .......

.........twins.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

Saw is pretty cool in my opinion.Its pretty gory but it has a cool storyline and lots of cliffhangers and i think the message behind it is interesting.Jeepers Creppers is pretty scary and just plain weird.The Chucky movies are classic and just plain awesome not to mention absolutely hilarious.The Jason movies and Freddy Krueger movies are pretty cool too though they get kind of redundant eventually.Well thats my list.Have fun!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Amittyville Horror scared me when I was a kid. I don't know about now but its worth watching if you have two hours to waste. Supposedly, its based on this true story-

www.trutv.com... lle/1.html

If you like monster type stuff, Humanoids From The Deep is great if you can find it. LOL

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Thank you all for taking the time to recommend stuff. I have seen them all so far apart from REPO. I am still anticipating someone coming up with a little known gem that I haven't seen though.

I have spent the last 20 odd years watching horror films fanatically so it might be hard

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join