It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Is On Facebook

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Please fellow ATS-ers.

So they got a page on FB. A page to attract more members. Which is a good thing. ( After hours of reading replies I came to this conclusion.)

The Rotten apples will easily be done with.

As for privacy... Please don't tell me there are still people that think FB is the tool to learn about you. As if there are no other means for it.

This is a private site a dictatorship with a leader that actually listens to the members.They have probably thought about this for a long time now. They even asked for advice.

I remember reading a lot of OK's in that thread from the members.

Please don't waste more of their time for something they have already made a decision about. If you don't like it, start collecting signatures.

Anyway...

This rant has been made possible by ~ Sinter

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

all it takes for evil to prosper is for the good to stand by and do nothing

facebook has a legal scam going that relys on legal jargon to remove the users/owners rights as user/owner of their own property

by not warning people your letting evil prosper

is it your job NO
should you care YES

what can you do ?
a disclaimer at the least

respectfully

xploder

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

You keep saying "forwarding members" that's PURE BUNK. We allow all sorts of companies to advertise here, we have to to pay the bills, we NEVER "forward" anyone ANYWHERE.

Seriously, get a grip, a clue or anything it takes to realize that we are NOT responsible for what people CLICK ON or are interested in.

NO, we have no "duty of care", we aren't your parents or your internet nanny.

I'll say it one more time, if you fear or don't like Facebook, DON'T GO THERE.

sheesh!

Springer...

[edit on 8-25-2010 by Springer]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

ok im beating a dead horse here
im sorry if you feel this debate has wasted your time as that was not my intention

i have said what i wanted to debate
and i got two out of three problems adressed (thanks for)
stating no facebook script will be run on ATS
that personal or account information will not be shared
it is up to us personally not to get suckered into the facebook scam

xploder

thank you for your time

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

It's all good.

I sincerely hope that you can appreciate that we can't be held responsible for what people click on though... Truly...

As far as a "disclaimer" goes... just do a search on "Facebook" here on ATS, and I think you'll find much more coverage of their "questionable", past, antics than just about any site out there.

It truly is a "one way" relationship we have with them, it's all about making our members' content more visible through the biggest site on the web, NOT about feeding them more data.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

thank you for your reasurence and patience
my opinion of face book if stated would be a violation of t+c

i think advertising for the site on facebook makes sence from a bissness stand point

my intence dislike of fb does cloud my judgement a bit

xploder

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I too have finished this discussion. I'm not happy with the results, but then again there's big fisher to fry in the world and i'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Thanks for everyone for taking part. If nothing else it shows we can still have opposing beliefs but still be part of the ATS community.

peace

Mr L

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

ABSOLUTELY.

We always want to hear from EVERYONE who is honestly concerned, we have little patience for the intentionally obtuse.

I think that plays a major role in all this and adds to our "frustration" when people wrongfully call us out.

We wouldn't be able to truly consider ourselves an HONEST and ETHICAL media company if we didn't, would we?

Let me explain...

We TRULY DO CARE.

If we didn't, we wouldn't bother with announcements, we CERTAINLY WOULD NOT bother actually responding to our member's concerns, complaints and criticisms.

We would do just like every other "company" and ignore and blow off our member's concerns or, worse yet, not even state what our intentions/plans are up front.

We don't have lots of extra time (ask our families) for this stuff, that's why it gets so exasperating when people spew false claims/accuse us of B.S., etc... when, in fact, we are REALLY TRYING to do this RIGHT.

I know this will fall on lots of deaf ears/blind eyes, but, I hope the honest agents will get it and take it to heart.

We really appreciate the concerns, and hope to resolve the confusion, our members may have over any of our decisions, that's why we try to be as transparent and honest as we can.

But, we don't have the energy or the free time to get into the minutia or, deal with the utterly wrong assumptions of, those who want nothing other than us to fail for whatever reason. We just won't go there.

Name one other media company that does this better than we do and I promise you I will be in contact with their executives to find out how they do it tomorrow morning.

Anyway, thanks for the frank and honest discussion.

That's truly all we ever ask, be honest, polite and patient and we will do our dead level best to respond to you and we really do CARE, it'd be totally STUPID of us not to.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Cheers Springer - hope you don't think i was being too difficult, my concerns were / are genuine - but as you say, you've taken the trouble to find time to explain and respond to me.

Which i appreciate.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Good one Springer..

You hit it dead on with that reply..

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I would like to apologize to Mark, Bill, Jon and all
ATS admins, mods and membership for seeming
obtuse.

I was wrong on 1 thing

You can view the source code of java scripting
from the "view source" button

I did not realize this cuz when I was coding
back in the day (old skool) it didn't have that
feature to my knowledge. So I did actually learn
something in this thread. In order to see the
java script code, you have to click the highlighted
link in the "view source". So I thank Bill, Mark
and Jon for setting me straight on that.
These new browsers come up with new
features all the time and that was 1 I was
unaware of.

As I stated before I am a programmer but have
not programmed in many years and have
focused more lately on infrastructure and
networking. So I have not kept current
on the coding aspect when I changed over.

It was NOT my intention to demean or derail this
thread with BS. Lots of what I posted was true
just a lack of current coding abilities obscured
my judgment to a certain degree.

And my concerns about this juncture
was genuine in nature as I also do care
about ATS and it's members and what this
site stands for.

However, with that said I still disagree with the
use of FB and/or linking to FB from ATS due to
security concerns. But if that is the decision that
ATS admins have decided to go with, then we
as users have to learn to deal with it. And who knows
we may even learn something new in the process
just as I have just done. Change is never easy
and most times it is opposed cuz we as people
have to adapt to something new. It goes against
our human psyche. But eventually we do overcome,
adapt and evolve.

best wishes and my humble apologies

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Ok, so I'm full of poop - I couldn't keep my nose out...

This is just a comment about farcebook in itself for all of those (whom I agree with) stating that if you do anything online that it is available if someone really wants to find it.

Yeah, sure I'm sure that some peoples online movements are tracked because they've been flagged as a "person of interest" due to their online activities, examples of which could be as mundane as illegally downloading things, or frequenting survivalist/militia sites and many other examples that would flag you as worthy of note.

So I think we can all agree that as far as privacy goes in the grand scheme of things facebook is the least safe site... and all of a sudden there's a facebook page related to a conspiracy website, not any old conspiracy website either, but the biggest and best one on the internet, that news channels are starting to use.

So sure, no one is truly safe or protected online, but now (lol) fish in a barrel.

Edit to add: To the site owners here - would it be possible to request that if a thread (of mine for example) makes front page, that there is an opt-out feature for it going on facebook?

[edit on 26/8/1010 by jokei]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

No worries, and thanks for stepping up and owning it.

mark...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
edit for OT nonsense.

[edit on 26 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
So why are people so afraid to join the FaceBook page?? Even if you do not agree with being "monitored" or whatever the case may be what. YOU have the responsibility to make this page reach its full potential. YOU need to start talking to people and get them aware that EVERYONE is ready for the "change" that we were promised and sick of the "loose change" we were given.

Farmville has something like 63,000,000 fans. Seriously?? Do you understand the impact that would be had if society were more interested in the country that is falling down around them then they are harvesting fake crops and feeding fake #ing chickens?? It will never happen if the core ATS crowd is to pussy to stand up and show their face. Without the core ATS crowd the "sheeple" will have no shepards to follow, and without them NOTHING is possible. People everywhere are waking up, some were more fortunate then others and have had a head start. Now it IS the responsibility of 100,000 or so members of this website to get the idea going. START TALKING TO PEOPLE. And not going to lie but I was actually disappointed that we actually LOST 1,000 members overnight. And if any of those are members here YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

I was checking the page from my phone at work I thought it was just a glitch in my phone and the count was somehow wrong so I went about my day. Fourtanetly for me I work with the public. I have a good personailty and can usually strike a conversation with anyone about just about anything. With that said this thread and the true potential it has inspired me so much to talk to some of the people that I get to see everyday about current affairs.

I asked SO MANY people from ALL backgrounds today "Where do you see this country in the next couple years."Every single answer lead to some great discussions, and the 1 topic that made its way into each discussion was that we can not sit back and wait for someone to save us.

Tell >SNIP< Obama or whoever write this puppets speeches that a 70 year old lady from a little quiet town, that has seen and lived threw it all, told ME that she has seen this country's highs and this country's lows and she said in all her years things have NEVER looked worse and that she actually FEARS for her grandchildren. She agreed that things NEED to happen and they NEED to happen now.

Tell this same guy that I also talked to a pretty well off middle aged woman asked her the the same question and got just about the same response. I told her that I am young and REFUSE to be trapped in this cycle for the next however many years God had granted me. She looked me square in the eyes and said "good, we need that resilience right now." I gave her the info to find on FaceBook and everything else.

Now I also spoke with a few that you can tell will never know whats going on until its >SNIP< in their faces, fortunate for me I was working with one tonight so I go the first hand account of someone who on the outside appeared that she could care less what happened in this country, but when digging a little deeper I found that she doesn't like the way things are but feels as though there isn't anything anyone can do so its not worth crying about and just keep it stepping. What I got her to realize was just the fact that she feels as though things aren't right should be enough for her to AT LEAST offer her voice in spreading the word.

People DO feel like you and I right now. We are NOT as crazy as the PTB make us out to be and we should NOT have to HIDE behind >SNIP< screen names. We should be out there having these discussions with the people around us and spreading the word and letting it be known that we have sat down long enough and now is time for the change we were promised. This is a common bond that the people in this country feel right now but it IS our responsibility to realize that, be able to identify it, and spread the word.

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS MICROPHONE WE HAVE BEEN GRANTED GO TO WASTE.

Mod Edit: Please Don't Evade the Censors

[edit on 8/26/2010 by yeahright]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKEMEask
So why are people so afraid to join the FaceBook page??

Sort of off-topic to this thread, since we aren't suggesting or advocating anyone who isn't already a Facebook member join Facebook. If you want to see some opinions on that particular topic, you might use the Site Search function for "Facebook". There'll be a number of conversations about that, and you're welcome to participate in any of them.

Also, since you're a new member you my not be aware that our Terms and Conditions prohibit the use of profanity, and even though certain words are auto-censored, it isn't a license to use them. Also, please review the information about Censor Circumvention. Your cooperation moving forward in that regard will be appreciated.

Thanks for joining AboveTopSecret.

[edit on 8/26/2010 by yeahright]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It doesn't even really matter to be honest with you.... An online forum that garners the attention of the masses is the ONLY way for any change to come about, and the members here who have been ready for change for God knows how long, are sitting back and WASTING this opportunity that is set before us.

I think the people of this forum truly underestimate the power of the internet when all the voices that have been waiting to speak have a stage set before them.

I think the people of this forum underestimate the amount of people that could care less about conspiracies, but are truly beginning to see what this country has turned to in the passing years and are ready for things to change, but like I've said time and time again.... WE need to lead them in the right direction.

We can sit back and do nothing, but the first step IS ours, and if we don't move NOTHING will come of this, we will continued to be trapped in the clutches of todays society, and hope will be lost.... and thats just FACT.... whether you see it or don't. Not being afraid to speak up, show your face, and discuss with people you wouldn't normally engage in conversation with is the first step..... So go add me Joshua Gelardi... I am the loudest voice so far... but I need more strong voices behind me...

STOP WASTING THIS

[edit on 26-8-2010 by SKEMEask]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Thanks for getting rid of that obnoxious Facebook plug on the homepage.
Geez, that was an eye sore. Kudos.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

i would like to offer an idea for our face book freinds
ignorinceisbliss is an exelent author and his thread on cancer deserves to be put in a new catagory THE BEST OF ATS
i think a top threads of all time can show case the talent to face bookers and make alot of critical information easy to find in one location that show cases what is expected of a top thread

if there was an award for each catorgory as well this may inspire more resurch based threads

just trying to help

xploder

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

God I hope they don't start judging posts in the manner that you just suggested. I could almost here their collective sigh as they read your post. Lets just say that S.O. and Springer have , and are allowing us to voice our opinions freely. But while this pro and con discussion still ongoing you want to throw in another can of worms. My grand father, and I am in my fifties, certainly did not coin the phrase, but always told me "KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID'

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join