It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Is On Facebook

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by boondock-saint
However, if ATS starts sending mass quantities
of people to FB, all FB has to do is add a few
lines of script to their java scripting to data mine
the variables used by ATS.

You are just plain wrong. And I've shown you how you are wrong.

If you write something on a piece of paper
and it is in nasty handwriting so you transfer
that same data to a new sheet of paper with
nice handwriting, does the transfer erase what
you have written on the first page???

NO

source coding works the very same way.

That is how you can buy software to recover hard
drive data loss cuz the data has NOT been overwritten.

That's the exploit FB can use with any site.

The data is still in your memory on ur PC
til it is erased. While it is there it can be stolen
or data mined. Regardless of what coding
put it there.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

That's the exploit FB can use with any site.

Please drop this until you show us, or send me a link in u2u, of a function proof of concept that user information on the ATS server can be accessed by a JavaScript on Facebook.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Now along comes another script
from FB who then queries the value of
megaData$ and then writes it to a database
field at FB.

First off, even If any said "variables" were passed to a client-side browser, cookie, etc. FB would have to Know what "variables" to look for. (?)

Secondly, as PHP is a Server-Side scripting language all Variables are processed by the Server-Side scripting file, never passed onto a client-side browser .... which in the case of ATS "pages" only sees the HTML spat forth once the Server-Side script has completed it's processing routine.

Hence the ...

Header data processed in 0.004 seconds
Page processed in 0.010 seconds
12 total database queries (4)

... at the bottom of every page "presented" on the boards.

Server-Side NOT Client-Side

PHP scripts and MySQL queries are ALL handled by the server NOT by Any Client-Side web browser ... to claim otherwise is nothing short of ill-informed and best and downright ludicrous at worst.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Please drop this until you show us, or send me a link in u2u, of a function proof of concept that user information on the ATS server can be accessed by a JavaScript on Facebook.

my consulting fees start at $65.00 an hr.
OK, it's dropped. I digress.
But don't say you were not informed

best wishes

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I'm sorry but I cannot respond
to this as I promised Bill I would digress

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Isn't that what happens with the use of "window.name"?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Those threads a while back were right, this place doesn't allow open speech anymore and the staff does censor anything that could be remotely against this place. I never believed it until I saw my well thought out constructive criticism of this decision deleted and my own account warned by the site owner.

Nothing but a money generating scheme now, enjoy the advertising revenue at the expense of a community.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Traffic]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

You don't know what you're talking about OR, you're intentionally being obtuse and spreading B.S. to make people fearful out of some twisted motivation.

Go study how Server Side php actually works and your unwarranted fears or lack of education on this code will be resolved.

I will take the fact you are "dropping it" as the ultimate proof you know you are wrong or you would have proved it (which you can't because it's utter hogwash), which leads me to believe you are being intentionally obtuse for whatever reason.

Thanks for wasting so much of our time.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

i beleive ats members will be sent from ats to facebook a place with known privacy concerns without duty of care ATS is knowingly sending members into potential of harm without so much as a warning

this is a very un careing attitude to have towards your membership considering the line

they are seperate from us we have no duty of care to ensure privacy on other sites

well if your advitising a potentially unsafe site your not preforming duty of care for your members and potentially putting their pravacy at risk

and this could be avoided with a message warning people

this is as much about morals as it is privacy law
do you beleive you should inform members of loss of privacy or the potential loss of privacy before providing a link?

do you care that face book sells details and photos of members because most cant understand law enought to understand what they are agreeing to when they sign up

so to be blunt do you care knowing that face book openly expliots its members that you may be forwarding members to be exploited?

sincerly yours
xploder

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

We aren't sending anyone anywhere... What are you talking about?

It's really simple, if you fear Facebook, DON'T go to FaceBook, nobody is "sending" you there.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

begin rant
thank you for your link i have read throught it
that explains not passing ats membership info to fb
do you have a duty of care for members using ats to ensure they are informed that there are ligitamite security and privacy concerns when using facebook services considering as a site owner/admin your advertisement of face book is initself an endorsement of use

duty of care is required to prevent loss of privacy or security when a privacy related contract is inforce

you are now aware that ats has to have our privacy protected while we are under your privacy contract and to say that forwarding members to a site which exploits users privacy is not your concern if the user does not understand privacy law thats not your problem

thats like washing your hands of us at the door without warning us the stairs have been removed

how many face book users could understand the terms and conditions implecations of joining?

and by linking to them you are feeding the beast with freash meat so to speak

our members are smart but EVERONE is owed duty of care

end of rant

springer please follow me on this
1.by linking to facebook it is an unoficiall endorsement of fb
2.if members follow the link and sign up they are usually unable to follow privacy laws and are unknowingly giving away rights and property, interlecual property and privacy rights (this IS the definition of exploitation)
3.i agree no one is forcing us to join fb but should you not anticipate members may join
4.are you prepaired to endanger a few members to get some advertising
5.duty of care extends to links that may endanger a user and or property including ownership of said property

yours sincerly
xploder

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by XPLodER

We aren't sending anyone anywhere... What are you talking about?

It's really simple, if you fear Facebook, DON'T go to FaceBook, nobody is "sending" you there.

Springer...

you cant say that you expect no one will become a member on face book because of the link

so it is infured that the potentioal for an ATS member to become a facebook member by following the link to a site page with ats logos everywhere and signing up because they are under the impresion is must be ok

so no your not forceing people
but what of the uninformed?
who follow the link and beleive they are safe?
because it ats on face book
dont they have the right to be warned that face books policy
takes away their ownership of what they post and can resell their image to a third party?

dont you think a lawer would have trouble understanding the facebooks contract and that is the point

we cant protect ourselfs without a lawyer but
with a small warning ATS can protect its members from exploitation
and still get advertising

xploder

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Oh, for gods sake.

It's simple - if you don't like it, don't go there.

If you do, then add ATS IF YOU WANT TO.

Nobody is directing, forcing, coercing or anything else.

Get a bloody grip folks.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

knowingly forwarding members to be xploited is a topic that i would rather not be discusing as there are alot of threads id rather be on but if no one stands up and asks the questions are we rely denying ignorence?

or are we being ignorant of the potential of our members being exploited?

are we at all concerned with the fact that by promoting facebook we are exposeing members to exploitation of people who are ignorant of the legal implications of joining?

if i took photos of you then tricked you into signing a release so i could sell them would that be acceptable to you?

i dont acept that members are pre warned of the possibilty of exploitation

deny ig...................

xp

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Anyone who is intelligent enough to want to visit ATS, and discuss the topics we do here, is perfectly capable of understanding the difference between choosing to sign up to a website or not.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

You either choose to use Facebook, in which case you may wish to "like" the ATS Page

... or

You don't.

End of story. End of pointless drama.

Simple.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Some ATSers will not like facebook because it can take away their anonymity. But I will probably look at the ATS facebook version way more than visiting this website directly. I have grown tired of Internet's sea of cowards.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

not one comment refuting my claims of exploitation by facebook of the users/members

not 1 comment other than you dont have to
ATS members are to smart to be exploited (you just about need to be a lawyer to understand the implications of joining)

does facebook exploit its members lack of legal understanding to get interlectial property rights, photo release rights, and any other information including information not entered by that user

TO BE THEIR PROPERTY as sold traded used against the user as they see fit

by not warning people are the ATS crew guilty of promoting exploitation?

xploder

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Xploder...

You're right. Not one comment on your claim.

Why?

Well, its because anyone who posts on ATS is obviously capable of figuring out the do's and don'ts of the internet pretty much by themselves.

ATS is many things, but what it isn't is a replacement for peoples own sense of what they choose to do online.

In the opening post of this thread SO said this

So let me be clear, if you're not currently on Facebook, please do not join just because we made a page. This effort is by no means an endorsement intended to inspire current or future members to sign up and participate there.

After that, its all about peoples free choice to do what they want to.

Its all about personal responsibility and anyone who is online these days needs to exercise that responsibility.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
reply to post by mr-lizard

Your issue is not with ATS. Your issue is with the service. Take it to facebook.

No.. my issue is with ATS using facebook as a medium for the reasons i have mentioned on several pages.

And like I said....if you have THAT MUCH to hide...you are already screwed. You lost. Best start running. They already got you.

I don't have anything to hide. But that doesn't mean i should have to give ANTHING of me.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

After that, its all about peoples free choice to do what they want to.

Its all about personal responsibility and anyone who is online these days needs to exercise that responsibility.

explanation
we have no legal reason to be responcable for our members well being and if they choose to be exploited what can we do

you know why its on the individull and not the website?
because individuals dont have lawyers who can explain things to them which makes exploitation by the big sites possable

washing your hands by saying its up to the individual does not address the fact that individuals are not in a position to hire a lawyer to ensure their rights are preserved to their person

and by being complisit or silent about that are you not implying that its ok to exploit people on the basis

IT shouldnt be so easy to exploit people

xploder

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join