It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Advice You've Been Given

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
"Check that last wad of TP before you assume that you're done."

Golden Rule level wisdom.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Happy wife, happy life.

Yep.

Thanks dad.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Demoncreeper]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
My Dad said, "You were born with honesty. You learn honor. After that, a person either feeds it or starves it, but the truth always matters. "

My Grandma Coriel said (talking about memories) "look back fondly, but don't stare."

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I was told once by a discount palm reader "The sooner you start, the sooner you finish."

I always like the last line of a book by Peter Straub, when the main character is walking away he wonders "what he will do and who he will be, and he realizes that they are the same thing."

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Good point Endtime, and you sound like a very considerate and conscientious individual, so maybe you won't have to chase him later in life, because the quality of relationship you have, may make him always want to keep you close, either physically or thru contact by phone/comp.
MessOnTheFed - I like that "game" analogy, and I have considered it to whenever I have to do something at/for work that is something I would rather not do(sales), I can look at it like pretending in a sense, playing by the rules to get thru the game and be rewarded with whatever suits you.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their insight, I am grateful.

spec

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
"Above All Else, Be Armed"-Niccolo Machiavelli

Yes..I know, I know, My advice is the best.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by ATLien]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

I hear ya on that one ATlien! I am personally not really into guns but at the same time having one does seem essential for any kind of survival mode we may find ourselves in. I am reminded of a phrase someone once said regarding condoms and guns - "It is better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have one."

spec

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Keep your friends close and enemies closer
Be a leader not a follower-Follow your own path
Never kiss up to get ahead work hard to advance
Dont count your chickens before they hatch
Love your children as you want God to love you
Treat every person you meet as an equal unless they prove otherwise
FAV. from MOM never have a price where you can be bought son (meaning no one can offer me anything to pursuade me into their personal influences which may degrade my soul for a price)
If you got it to give then share

just a few

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
From my Dad, dead, but not forgotten:

"If you steal a penny son, what have you got?"

"A penny."

"Now look in the mirror. You are now a thief...with a penny."

And,

"It's not what you do, it's what it does to you."

And this one came from Churchill:

"Never, never, never give up!"

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Nice Ophiuchus, thanks for the addition.

spec
reply to post by JR MacBeth

Have not heard the first two before, thanks JR!
spec

reply to post by Chipowhe

Chipowhe I can relate, a friend gave me a really good Benchmade several years ago and it has become an extension of me. I have used it for so many things and of course one is most useful in survival situations.
Thanks for the reply,
spec

[edit on 25-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
My pops taught me to always keep a good knife on me. Of course, he did this by pulling one on me, so I suppose he also taught me about the evils of alcoholism.

My good friend Uncle Bill taught me to always keep a backup, in case the first knife fails.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Ran across a couple of zen gems from Alan Watts:

But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.
Alan Watts

"But the transformation of consciousness undertaken in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is not an acquisitive process of learning more and more facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist loses every day."
— Alan Wilson Watts (The Joyous Cosmology)

peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
From my Grandma:

To hunt effectively you must still your mind, your spirit, and your heart. You must be nothing but unconscious watchfulness that reacts without thought to your prey or they will feel your intent and flee.

From life:

Do the right thing even when no one is looking, even if no one else ever knows.

From White Bear:

Stop waiting for permission to be who you want to be.

From a grizzled old sargeant:

"Put your hand in that bucket of water. Now pull it out. See the hole it left? Same hole you'll leave: nobody's indispensable."

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Brilliant and insightful post, and a great discussion idea..

Similar to the last point in your post, my father always told me to take everything with a grain of salt. Don't believe in everything that you read, or hear, or that you're told. I consider myself to be a fairly aware individual with my head screwed on firmly, although I have my very impressionable moments and it amazes me still. I always keep this advice in mind.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
from my father

"What is matter.. does not matter".

"You get what you need and not what you want"

"Go with the flow of life and life will take care of you "

from my mother

"No one is better then anyone else, when it comes to sharing."

"you reap what you sow"

"Be good to others and they will be good too you "

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I never forgot when I heard Dr. Schlessinger ( I know I know how controversial [to say the very least] she has been ) say that, once another human life, the third party, comes into the picture, it is not about just you anymore, that chapter is done.
(As a Leftist, this is where I veer completely------away from my fellow Leftists, NO you don't "have the right" to do with your body what you will when another sentient life is at steak.)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
"If you define yourself by comparing your life to other peoples and comparing what you have or haven't got then you are always going to be miserable no matter how much you have got as there is always going to be someone with more then you."

I actually stole that from a user on this forum a while back, it was so well worded, I had to keep it

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
"Give without expecting anything in return"
love mom

edit on 19-2-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

To hunt effectively you must still your mind, your spirit, and your heart. You must be nothing but unconscious watchfulness that reacts without thought to your prey or they will feel your intent and flee.

Stop waiting for permission to be who you want to be.

Thank you for sharing apacheman, I had not heard any of those before, and these 2 I really dig!

peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

Thank you for the kind words pv, and yes that is good advice, I just have to remember to use it a little more often!
Truth can be stranger than fiction ya know..sometimes.

peace,
spec

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join