It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Advice You've Been Given

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hello fellow members, I thought it would be interesting to extract some of the wisdom here at ATS.
We have all received some advice at some point that was a " real light coming on" moment, changing the way we think and/or look at things.

I will include 3 personal instances:

1) My Father taught me the virtue of patience by taking me fishing when I was young. Not only do you get an exercise in stillness, but patience too. I would always get a "bird's nest" in my reel which is a big tangle that most people would just cut out and start over. My Father however, encouraged me to patiently untangle the mess and it would take 15-20 minutes. To this day I recognize the patience instilled and am grateful.

2) Out of curiosity I studied various religions in College and one of the most important things I learned was encouraged by our teacher. With all of the variances in cultures and religions, it is just as important to notice our similarities as it is to notice the differences. This made a light go in me that brought tolerance into my perspective, and made me feel more a part of the global community.

3) Another teacher(English) once took us to a park to watch the ducks. There were different species which included Mallards, white ducks, and Teals. We sat and observed how each different duck clan stuck together and even picked on the other varieties. The teacher pointed out that it is natural(biological)to express disapproval and perhaps the aggression is some type of survival instinct. These, however are animals, and we are self conscious humans, so the difference is how we process the innate observation/judgement as it arises within, like a bubble surfacing to the brain. We acknowledge the differences amongst us, but then upon recognizing it, as a human we can transform that observation into a gracious recognition of co -humanism, and make room for respect and perhaps admiration.
Since that exercise, when I see someone that I may have once scoffed at, I now redirect the energy into that of a more accepting vibe, considering things like where that person is coming from, or what experiences have shaped their lives.
Saying this do I mean accept everyone all the time? No, but make a little room for more tolerance and become more aware of how our minds work.

I feel compelled to include an ATS lesson I value too...Don't believe everything you see/hear without cross referencing and personal research. I have said goodbye to many o charlatans that I once held as high authorities.

Peace
spec

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
My father was a front line soldier in WWll who was very highly regarded by his peers.
He alwasy said:
"Don't plan for what will go right, plan for what will go wrong"

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
My favorite from my pop was this:

"Never start a fight, but always finish one."

and

"Be careful when your driving. That just might be your brother or sister running out from behind that car."

and one I think all ATSers will appreciate:

"Don't bull# a bull#ter and never try to con a con man."

Peace

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The best advice I ever got was from my grandfather. He told me never to hold anything against another person if it was something that they couldn't choose or control.

This advice has served me very, very well during the course of my 44 years.

Oh, he also told me to watch how people treat animals and you'll see how they will treat other people. That ones also proven to be pretty much spot on.

*edited because I bite at proofreading*

[edit on 8/23/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I would have to say that the best asvice that i have ever been given came to me when I was a rebellious teen.

It came from my mother... "Life is a game, it is impossible to win if you never play" this was directly followed by "The world dosent care about you at all, it will chew you up and spit you out just the same as it will let you be a successful citizen"

I dont know why but this has asways stuck with me.

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Always apologise, and always forgive, if you don't do both, neither person can really move on. From my dad.

And never take 'substances' when you're with people you don't fully trust. Something I had to learn myself the hard way.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
the best advise i'd given myself, was after a car wreck that should've killed me, and that was "life has 3 steps: choice, consequence and damage control. make good of the first 2 and you should'nt have to deal with the 3rd."

but my dad always has the realest things to say, with less words. "why talk about what you want to do, when you can be doing it?"

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Spoon boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Spoon boy: Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

So true.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
pay attention- or you'll pay something else.
time was invented so everything wouldnt happen all at once.
almost anything ben franklin said..
yogi berra- you can observe alot just by watching.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Thank you for the replies thus far

This is some great advice you guys have offered.

spec

reply to post by Big Raging Loner

And never take 'substances' when you're with people you don't fully trust.

Amen to that, I had to learn the hard way too, talk about bad trip man!
Don't toy around when the 3rd eye is open!

[edit on 23-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Something that I learned in a business class....
When your kids are young, they chase you
When your kids are older, you chase them

I have a 5 yr old son and this brings tears to my eyes, I think some parents out there can relate.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
You are judged by the company you keep.

Anything worth doing is usually hard.

Dad is a wise man.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Two pieces both from work situations:

1. Perspective is reality

2. Take responsibility for mistakes as quickly as successes.

From my Mom:

Your name and your word is all you really have. Always cherish and honor both.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Never lie. Liars are never respected, and your word is all you have in this world that will always be under your control.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I have heard a lot of advice, but for the sake of copying a bunch
of historical quotes I think it often comes down to the choice
between wrong and right and good an evil and this one fits well.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

~Edmund Burke.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
About my 5th month of sobriety
The Best Advice came to me through a song that played exactly at the right moment.
I wept.

I hardly live up to it but my heart is there. Think they call it a long road of reconstruction lies ahead G-d willing.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

when going through hell...keep going

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
My Grandfather taught me so many things. He retired a Colonel in the Field Artillery and was in WW1 & WW2. He taught me how to go into the chicken pen that had a wasps nest in the gate. The only times I have ever been stung was when I was not paying attention and sat on a wasp.
They used to make retired military officers head of the blood drives in small towns. When he ran into the religious group that does not give blood, he reminded them of the one who gave His blood for them. They showed up to give blood.

The question to ask is not "Can I do something" but "Am I willing to accept the consequences of my actions". Do I want to "try" and experience the success or failure of my endeavor?

My wife, her twin sister (neither in good physical health) and their mother (who is not young) went tramping in the mountains. When they came back my father-in-law got onto his wife "you might have been hurt". My brother-in-law got onto his wife "you could have been hurt and you will be hurting for days". I turned to my wife "did you have a good time?" With a big smile on her face (despite the pains in her body) she told me of the GREAT time she had.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Much thanks everyone, and I appreciate the personal stories and reflections.
I feel a renewed strength after reading thru the replies. It is amazing how such simple phrases of advice/wisdom can often times successfully encompass and address such large, timeless issues.

spec

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Kinda silly, but I remember fretting about whether I would pass my driver's test. Mom turned to me and said, "Look at all the all the idiots out there driving, don't you think you can do at least as good as they?"

LOL

I kinda transmuted it, over the years, to never let fear of the unknown prevent me from doing things, there are lots of dummies who have succeeded.....

The other insight that I use frequently, but don't know where I got it from, when worrying about outcomes, there is usually only two choices. Either the outcome will or will not happen. No need to worry about the in between stuff and just wait for the outcome and make your decisions then. When you've done all you can, then you just have to wait..

[edit on 23-8-2010 by goobgirl]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join