It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bannings..

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by browha
I still think it'd be a good idea to have a 'banned' forum, where we can see who has been banned and why!

I think SO and NC explained this pretty well already but I'll repeat and clarify.

We don't want to list with explanations those that have been banned.

a) We don't want to open up debates on individual cases.(it would hamper our ability to work for the good of the community)

b) Some bannings are not the result of any single incident but a culmination of a number of incidents over time.(these are generally known members in the community)

c) Most bannings are either already banned members trying to return without prior permission from Admin or obvious spammers trying to sell something to members/ obvious trolls with no intention of being part of the community.(these are dealt with as swiftly as possible and are often unknown and unmissed by the community)

d) For some their only claim to fame is that they've been multiply banned and a topic listing and discussing banned members would actually encourage these people to keep coming back and getting banned.

e) It's actually not fair on the banned members (in some cases) that the minutae of their behaviour be discussed by the community.

f) No long/medium term member has EVER been banned without full and open discussion within Cosmic and after every alternative avenue of action has been exhausted.

g) Banishment is not permanent.Some banned members return (with permission) and their name being on the list could be a stigma.

Mmmmmm....... How many more reasons do you need ?

All this against what ?

That members can have their curiousity sated ?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
All this against what ?

That members can have their curiousity sated ?

Bravo John, good summary, and your concluding expression summates the request well..

WHY do you want to know this?
Don't you trust the admin / mods etc? If not you have bigger problems here than just "why are people banned".

Curiosity? - well thats an acceptable reason, we are all curious, afterall its a feature of why people are here to start off with. But to assauge your curiosity causes us far greater headaches.

Accountability of the mods / admin? Well we run a tight ship, and are fully acountable to each other, some pretty blunt talking happens sometimes over actions taken by individuals. At the end of the day we operate well on a consensus approach, despite personal differences. So external moderation is not really required, some of us have een doing this job for years!

Just plain openness? Show me a society that operates on those principles, there is none. All societies have a degree of behind the scenes work. This does not make them corupt, but only stratafied in their decision making. We are too big to operate in a totally open manner.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
It's out of curiosity, but I'm gonna stop this now because I can see it's going down an icky path, but thanks for your responses, mods/admins!

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Skeptic have you ever by any chance banned someone just for the heck of it. and how was ilovepizza banned

[edit on 6/21/2004 by machinegunjordan]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Closing this, in response to the above post, the first half is too dumb a question to warrant a response, the second half is covered by previous posts in this thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join