It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look into my eyes: Extreme close-ups reveal hypnotic gaze of tiny jumping spiders Read more: http:/

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I hate spiders, although I agree the colours and the tones were quite amazing and much more vivid than I tend to see on spiders.

I am ashamed to say that I do kill spiders if they are too big or too bold, I just cant sleep knowing there is one running around my bedroom. I am getting better though, i have recently started to try and ignore them if they are not very close or if they stay in there web and if they do get a bit too bold, I recently tried 'shooing' it out of a window with a piece of paper.

I'm trying.

EMM

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Yeah I understand jumping spiders tend to be more curious than many others (crab spiders are as well). However, to get the shots that guy was doing takes more than the few moments the spider sits there. Maybe I just take too long to operate a camera or the spiders I have seen get bored more quickly. Maybe most of the spiders here in Missouri have ADD or something.

The spiders I have dealt with tend to start moving away looking for other interesting things to investigate. Though I have had a few actually jump at and attack me for moving to close to them. The first time this happened, I was pretty surprised with the amount of force the little guy could hit with.

Praying mantises are cool too. They hang out more than any spider I have ever seen, I think they tend to believe they are "more kick butt" than other little guys.

Raist

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

story of the jumping spyder reminded me of the camel spyders from my deployments.

those things adapted to be able to leap very far, and very high.

they feel the vibrations on the ground from animals.

they head towards the source of the vibrations.

they leap up onto the creature (camel's underside).

they bite to release a local. numbing the immediate area.

they feed for awhile leaving on average a quarter sized hole.

they leap off with a full stomach.

sometimes, i've seen it happen, they do the same to people while they are sleeping. get in their covers, numb the area, feed for awhile while the person sleeps, then go off.

the person wakes up with a hole, where the spider had been feeding.

nice creatures, lousy pets.
some pics of camel spyders, some of their graphic damage:
www.google.com...

never heard of hynotic spyders.

have heard reports of hypnotic toads, though:
www.youtube.com...

interesting article. thanks for sharing,
et

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Spiders are the one insect that I have to admit freak me out a bit. BUT, I admire their beauty close-up.

S & F - amazing photos!!!

As for the mating video...OMG! I am going to have nightmares now. That needs to be used in a horror film.

I don't take mirco pics, but I do like to try and get close-ups. Here is my best of a spider I found on my hot-tub:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The easiest way to catch them to throw outside is to place a drinking glass over the top of it. Then take a piece of thin cardboard like a post card or index card, slowly slip the card behind the glass and he will move onto the paper. Then you can throw him out right away or take a look at him for awhile.

I'd rather throw them out alive into the garden, than wipe a bunch of guts off of my wall any day!

[edit on 2182010 by Starbug3MY]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Beautiful photos...thanks for posting this!

Spiders do a great service for us by eating lots of pests...yet they still creep me out sometimes (just watched Shelob attacking Frodo last night...[shivers]).

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The reason they always kinda trip me out is that the inside set of bigger eyes always look like nostrils to me. So it looks like it's got two little eyes, two huge nostrils, then two big buck teeth........creepy little things.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ctankep

star for sharing that!

wasn't much about that approach i found romantic, but i'm not a spyder either.

thanks for sharing that,
et

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

A classic case of H. S. Truman syndrome.

Great value from a large flat-rate box. When the connections become dysfunctional. When the negative takes too much over. It's not supposed to be and the domineering tendencies take over. The negative oversteps its bounds. She gets the power from our actual society to keep it going. But it's not supposed to be and takes tremendous force.

All the legs are straight, not crossed. Just bright eyes. Just natural.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I don't think there is such a thing as H.S. Truman syndrome. Would you please provide a link to a legitimate definition in a credible source.

And who is "she"? I presume you are referring to the spider?

[edit on 8/21/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/baa877e911f5.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3caa0e0187c.jpg[/atsimg]

hmmmmmmm.........

japanese getting designs from nature?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jackx6949

Wow! That's just visually.....impressive.
Love it.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I don't think there is such a thing as H.S. Truman syndrome. Would you please provide a link to a legitimate definition in a credible source.

There is. My sources are incredible. See Hiroshima and Harry S. Truman - Freemasonry.

And who is "she"? I presume you are referring to the spider?

That is quite possible, yes. See also Columbia.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Admittedly, I have no idea what point you wish to make. Even with the most flexible imagination, one has difficulty relating any of the links you provided to the appearance or behavior of the thread subject, and there is certainly no such thing documented as H.S. Truman syndrome, although I like the name, and perhaps one should be developed, although I'm not sure it would have the slightest thing to do with arachnids.

I do however very much like the comment "my sources are incredible". Very funny.
Yes, indeed they are.

Have a nice day.

[edit on 8/22/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jackx6949

Your photos gave me an early morning laugh! I think more folks should use natural designs for their products. After all - God / Nature is the ultimate designer for every thing from aerodynamics to fluid dynamics (I 'm thinking of sharks and rays here).
You know, scientists cannot explain exactly how the human eye works, and they cannot explain how a bumblebee can fly, with the shape, the size, the smallness of it's wings etc. We are still so ignorant of how the world around us works, and yet we think we know everything already. They are finding new species in New Guinea, in Peru, they've found new species at the bottom of the Atlantic and all these were recently found! Within the past year I think.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starbug3MY
You know, scientists cannot explain exactly how the human eye works, and they cannot explain how a bumblebee can fly, with the shape, the size, the smallness of it's wings etc.

Is "can't explain how the human eye works" the new "bumblebees can't fly"? The latter is a result of inappropriate models, treating it like an aircraft, and the myth seems to persist no matter what.

Here:
Secrets Of Insect Flight Revealed
Flight of the Bumble Bee

We've come a ways since the early 20th century. Because someone made a statement in, say, 1910, 1920, or 1930, doesn't mean it should be held to forever as gospel nor resurrected as evidence of science suppressing knowledge.

[edit on 8/22/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Why thankyou very much and you're welcome

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I took a pic of this little guy with my cell phone while on a smoke break. He's just like the 2nd pic in the OP.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I found these in the newspaper today:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

They're so beautiful close-up - even the scary ones

Blue tailed damsel fly:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c7c9729af38.jpg[/atsimg]

Median Wasp:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f0a8066fed9.jpg[/atsimg]

There are a few more pictures in the article that I haven't posted.

edit on 13-9-2010 by berenike because: Edit to add pictures

top topics

<< 1   >>

join