It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look into my eyes: Extreme close-ups reveal hypnotic gaze of tiny jumping spiders Read more: http:/

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Look into my eyes: Extreme close-ups reveal hypnotic gaze of tiny jumping spiders Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

w ww.dailymail.co.uk

Staring menacingly at the camera these exotic looking creatures look like monsters straight out of a horror film.

But, despite their appearance, these creatures are actually jumping spiders, which measure a tiny six millimetres - and they live in this country.

The harmless arachnids, which are capable of jumping up to six times their own height, can be found in grassy meadows and on the walls of houses on sunny days.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
These little guys are harmless to humans, but they get killed anyway just for being what they are - insect-eating spiders.
I have always been fascinated by spiders and have 2 webs that I caught using white spray paint and black cardboard. It's an interesting hobby. But I never knew these guys were so colorful and beautiful up close!

Please don't kill them, just throw them outside.

w ww.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

I dont kill spiders... I love em. I once had a wolf spider living in my bedroom. Used to sit in the corners of the ceiling, munching up all the flies and moths and such. Every now and again, he would drop to the floor on a line of web, almost as if he was just curious as to what the heck I was doing lol. Miss that guy...I moved out years ago, but he stayed behind.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Yes, these are beautiful, in their own way.

But I don't care for spiders. They leave their little webs in my lamps sometimes, and I don't like this. (WHY lamps!) It makes people think I am a poor house keeper. (It's possible I might be).

If they come into my house, I apologize by telling them it was a fatal mistake. They need to give more thought before these "home invasions".

Then they are evicted and relocated forthwith, to their new home inside my vacuum cleaner. :]

What?

[edit on 8/21/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Thats sad...
...and 2nd

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Awesomely amazing pictures! It's fascinating to see all the thing that are right in front of us all the time but simply aren't able to see on a regular basis. That's a conspiracy in itself. Why aren't we "allowed" to see so many things without the aid of our own inventions? From what the macro photography reveals to ultra high speed film. There's a whole world we don't get to see on a daily basis that's just hidden from us. It's kind of disappointing. I want better senses to be standard in human 2.0!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Yeah, I know.

But think of it this way! They go into the vacuum bag and that goes into the garbage. From the garbage to the truck and then onwards to the landfill. Once there they free themselves from the bag, and enjoy a fabulous life in the landfill and surrounding woods with tons to eat!

They send me thank you notes!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

u women are really a pain in the *** when it comes to spider

"it's me or the spider"

pffffs

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I just hope you havent got one of those vacuum cleaners which have a spinning filter fan in them. Ouch!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
these eyes are cryin
these eyes have seen a lot of love
but they're never gonna see another one
like i had with yooooooou

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

They are just incredible beautiful huh!

I mean, I'm glad I'm not a fly, but, on the other hand I wish at times I was teeny tiny so I could get a really good look at these things, up close and personal... As long as they weren't hungry.

And how they jump! I love to 'play' with them when I find them outside.

Oh, and don't forget my favorite one!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d653ff736f9.jpg[/atsimg]

Everyone needs one of these 'Spider Catchers' that are simple, and safe for you and the spider! True catch and release!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e968275b499c.jpg[/atsimg]

Link to photo and SpiderCatcher

peace

[edit on 21-8-2010 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I've vacuumed up ants at work and released them in the woods but I have to wonder the sensation of being a bug that gets sucked up through a vacuum. They seem to make the journey just fine, it's gotta be one heck of a ride!

reply to post by silo13

That one looks especially happy!

[edit on 8/21/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
We never killed spiders. They are there because there are insects to eat.

These hopping spiders live right in your window sills for the same reason. Plenty of little insects trying to get inside your home and they are there catching them !!

Thats why I never kill spiders.

If my wife is too freaked out by one I just scoop them up on a sheet of paper and toss them outside.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
beautiful shots! nature still is one of the most awe inspiring things on earth and abroad.

i wonder what its like having more than 2 eyes.

thanks for sharing the nature moment.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

My children are being trained to take spiders and all insects as well outside, and prefer to only blow at mosquitos. But this does not mean I agree with your definition of beauty.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
i have a little guy behind my monitor on the window sill. i have lots of places he can hide there.

it's just i don't see alot of prey for him around.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Absolutely stunning pictures... as a macro photographer hobbyist I still have a ways to go before getting shots like that, but thought I'd share one of my "better" attempts at extreme close-up of a jumping spider.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9a2fd8e5ce5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Yes, these are beautiful, in their own way.

But I don't care for spiders. They leave their little webs in my lamps sometimes, and I don't like this. (WHY lamps!) It makes people think I am a poor house keeper. (It's possible I might be).

If they come into my house, I apologize by telling them it was a fatal mistake. They need to give more thought before these "home invasions".

Then they are evicted and relocated forthwith, to their new home inside my vacuum cleaner. :]

What?

[edit on 8/21/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

Spiders are quite intelligent, they often create webs near light sources because they know it attracts their pray
A tactic evolved since we had fire.

I've also managed to snap a few macro shots of both The black and Zebra jumping spiders, the curiosity these lil guys have are amazing.

Here's a lil video showing the inaudible mating call of the jumping spider. (The one on the left is a high sensitivity microphone inside a spider shell)

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Ctankep]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I have always loved jumping spiders and crab spiders. I used to catch them as a kid and feed flies to them. Of course this was all to the horror of my mother who would freak out when I brought the jar with said spiders in it into the house.

Those were just awesome pictures. I wonder how the photographer manages to get such close shots without the spiders running off. According to the article he does not put them in the freezer as many others do to make them docile. I would love to take some shots like that.

Raist

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

You'll find that jumping spiders are one of the more "willing" models of the macro world... very curious creatures that are often more than willing to give a nice pose for the camera... sometimes going so far as to jump on the end of the lens! In a way similar to praying mantis's... very curious little buggers!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/524165ea1609.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 21/8/10 by Navieko]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join