It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal government to buy land for Flight 93 memorial (have you seen it?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
reply to post by rogerstigers

Did you follow the link?
Why place the word allee in quotes?
Of all the description in their diagrams, why are they drawing attention to this specific word?
Yes, I am still skeptical.
If it looks like a duck (semi-circular or crescent shaped)
Walks like a duck (Red in color).
And sounds like a duck (Ali).
Guess what!

I am currently working on a gig with marketing people. They don't think like normal people. Allee (btw, the root word for Alley) is french. They probably put it in quotes because it is a word they know most people would not be familiar... of course, most people would probably pronounce it the same as Alley, which implies ugly trash can filled back roads, so allee was quoted to indicate that the walk will not be an Alley, but an "allee". *shrug*

I think a natural liguistic tech might be able to give a better explaination than I can as to why the word was quoted. From a literary point of view, it is incorrect usage of the quotation marks.

My opinion is not swayed by this. I see a full ring of trees in the actual PDF that was linked above. It is red because the brochure is using fall colors.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

[edit on 8-20-2010 by rogerstigers]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Why place the word allee in quotes?

Looks like the correct usage of quotation marks to me. I wasn't familiar with the word either and needed it to be identified. It appears to be an early form of the word alley.

allee Pronunciation: \ä-ˈlā, a-\ Function: noun Etymology: French, from Middle French alee — more at alley Date: 1759 : a walkway lined with trees or tall shrubs

indicate special terminology that should be identified for accuracy’s sake as someone else’s terminology, for example if a term (particularly a controversial term) pre-dates the writer or represents the views of someone else, perhaps without judgement (contrast this neutrally-distancing quoting to the negative use of scare quotes)

If it looks like a duck (semi-circular or crescent shaped)

Other examples were already presented of similar shapes. How should I interpret a red colored Harvest Moon during a crescent phase? Should every instance of a crescent be suspect? How about the flag of South Carolina?

Walks like a duck (Red in color). And sounds like a duck (Ali).
Guess what!

The color was also already discussed. You're seeing a duck because a picture of a duck was presented to you as a duck. I see something that could be perceived as a duck but choose to check if it actually has a bill, mantle, scapulars, tertials, uppertail coverts and undertail covers instead of simply relying on the basic shape of a duck to determine its authenticity.

[edit on 8/20/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I'm curious how your marketing people interpreted this with their special thinking and observational skills.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Three_moons

I'm curious how your marketing people interpreted this with their special thinking and observational skills.

I would be curious, too, but this is not the sort of thing that I can bring up in conversation with a client. It would be interesting, though to see what their take on this is. I don't know any of the marketting people from my company.

BTW, I just re-read what I typed... I am not sure it came out in the manner intended. My experience with these marketting folks is that they have a very differant way of looking at things than the people I work and associate with. Given that there really is no such thing as "normal", it was not fair for me to just drop that comment and leave it hanging.

[edit on 8-21-2010 by rogerstigers]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Thanks for the reply. I certainly interpreted your comment to mean you were able to ask them their opinions. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Yeah, but wait until you see the logo of the construction company they hired as consultants:

www.facebook.com...

And it's important to remember that the Bin Laden family are in the construction business, and the terrorists were architects. So what you get is a bunch of Islamist extremists going around knocking down buildings in order to build monuments to Islam.

On the same facebook page above, this construction company is also building a sports stadium in Iraq.

I'm thinking it's way overdue for me to join a militia.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I look and have seen nothing more then a semicircle people see what they wanna see or to put it a bit more bluntly:Leave the symbols to the symbol minded."more hatemongering and fear by the reublicratic party in order to make sure the gullible base votes in novemember.

edit on 033030p://2826 by mike dangerously because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
An underlying theme i read here and in other anti- or fear Muslim posts is that to be a Muslim is not to be an American. Other than the seperation of church and state issue, so what if it resembles an Islamic crescent.
Does anyone point out cross shapes existing almost everywhere? Shapes exist everywhere.
Muslims died in the twin towers, some first responders and hospital workers on 911 are Muslim. There are US soldiers who are Muslim.
The terrorists who caused 9-11 are considered to be "radical Muslims", to lump all of the Islamic faiths together is like saying Mormons, Jahovah's Witnesses, that crazy church Sarah Palin attends, and the Amish are one in the same.
This underlying theme that Islam is not American was first presented to me when i seen at a town hall meeting an old woman say to John McCain that Obama was a Muslim, to which McCain responded, No, he was a good family man. As if a Muslim couldn't be a good family man or an American.
Murderers created the trauma on 9-11 who cares what they call themselves, they are murderers so they are probably also liars.
Everyone on here owns a computer, and can easily look up Muslims in the US military, how many people in the twin towers were Islamic, and what people of the Islamic faith have contributed to the fabric of America.

Placing blame on a widely held and varied religion because a group of murders have said they share an aspect of that religion is plainly just stupid. It also is confusing, if our government was complicit in the 9-11 attacks is it because secretly our government is Islamic? If not, why would they then place an Islamic crescent as a memorial? If radical Islamic nutjobs caused 9-11, why would our government place an Islamic symbol as a memorial?
The conspiracies don't jibe...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
They should just save the money and pay off some debt. Retards are to focused on spending and not saving or paying off anything. How will this method ever work and WTF do we continue to empower tards of this caliper.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join