It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you live in the most peaceful country?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Global Peace Index 2010

Top 10 Most Peaceful Countries

1. New Zealand
2. Iceland
3. Japan
4. Austria
5. Norway
6. Ireland, Republic of
7. Denmark
8. Luxembourg
9. Finland
10. Sweden

Top 10 Least Peaceful Countries

140. Congo, Democratic Republic of the
141. Chad
142. Georgia
143. Russian Federation
144. Israel
145. Pakistan
146. Sudan
147. Afghanistan
148. Somalia
149. Iraq

>The information provided above was from the link provided<

I was not suprised where the United States was located on that list. I was suprised to see New Zealand coming in first place as the worlds most peaceful country, I knew it would be in the top 5, but not number 1. I suspsected it would be Sweden or Switzerland.

I like the idea of how this is calculated and it has gained wide support around the world.

Global Peace Index Methodology

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
What are these countries doing that we're not doing right? Could it me the size of people in the land. America, Russia and others have more the 100,000 million citizens. Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I'd actually love to live in Luxembourg. When I took a trip there back in '05 I immediately fell in love.

I SOOOOOOO want to go back because of how amazing it was. Not as much horrid "American" influence as well so it is fascinating to find such a quaint place.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Damn it...me beeing originally from Swtizerland i cant accept that Austria beat us. No seriously, i left Switzerland about 7 years ago and since then i am living in Hong Kong. And i have to say Switzlerand i was always proud of, but it got more and more ugly there. Where as i have realized that Hong Kong is a beautiful city to live in, and i actually think it is much more safe here than it was back home....

cheers

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Canada is sounding better and better
Way to go!

But at least the US improved from 96th in 2007 to 84th in 2010

Uraquay sure seems like the calm in a storm

This could keep me occupied for hours. Very cool. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Well, Canada came in at 14th most peaceful out of 149 countries. That's not bad at all.

Switzerland at 18th surprised me. I thought they would be even closer to the top.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yes.

Aotearoa New Zealand...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
there is a lot of interesting top '100 countries' info in here.

www.indexmundi.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
THat cant be possible!
Not at least in 2010.

An example of 3 countries

Colombia, Venezuela and Mexico.

Mexico place 107
Venezuela 122
Colombia 138

o_o MExico nowdays is one of the most dangerous places in the planet, due to the drug cartels. It could be compared to the Colombia of the 80's with pablo escobar, just a lot worse.

Venezuela, with Mr Chavez, has #load more murders than ever before.

Colombia, with the last president, changed. Kidnappings reduced 95%, homices reduced a lot too. THe country is pretty safe. I've been to Venezuela and I don't feel safe at all. In Colombia i see no problems..

So, thats for 3 countries situations I know.. thats enough to guess the rest are probably wrong too...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Canada is sounding better and better

Yip, I guess people can now see why I left South Africa for Canada.

121 vs 14 - Pretty much a no brainer. And as for the cold, I actually like it. I take my weather with me as such.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I'm surprised that Mexico wasn't on the list for least peaceful nations. With the narcotic wars going on, you would think that it would be noted. Also, I heard somewhere that Juarez is more dangerous than Baghdad.

--airspoon

Edite to add: The US is artificially low on this list. For instance, it gives us a 1 for the level of internal conflict, when our prisons are filled with what basically amounts to political prisoners. The same goes for the number of deaths from internal conflicts.

Sure, if you go by the numbers that the US government hands out, we score as we do, though if we were to go by reality, I'm sure we would be much higher on this list.

In fact, our murder, assault and rape incidents are through the roof, especially when compared to most other countries. We also have more incarcerated people than most of the world combined.

Again, we are articially low on this list, IMO. Just look at the scores for the US on each individual tested condition.

--airspoon

[edit on 17-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Speaking of Iraq...check their numbers out from 2007-2010. Rapidly declining. What a shock.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Nice one Kiwi.

This is good news. It's hard to see the wood for the trees sometimes, but on review, over the nigh-on-forty years of my life here in Aotearoa I have witnessed the Peace movement, Social Justice Movement and a move towards less discrimination based on age, gender , ethnicity and sexual orientation.

While we don't always get it right, I feel we're moving in the right direction.

Now, if only we could stop jumping in a fighting other countries resource wars!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Now only if NZ's internet connection was as good as its peacefulness! xD

Meh, someday maybe it will be available to everyone, super good internet in NZ.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
6. Republic of Ireland,

Yes . I feel safe .

======

The majority of murders in Ireland centre in the capital Dublin and Limerick City. These murders are carried out between rival drug gangs .

We do not have an armed police force , though we do have Rapid Reaction Forces which are heavy armed to deal with the gang warfare.

===========

There is a prevailing sense of safety among the populace ........ with this `perception` of safety itself, feeding back into the citizenry influencing how people behave.
Well thats just my take on the subject anyways .
=================

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

its hard not to be peaceful in a country that is full of sheep. the sheep out number new zealanders by 3,000,000 to 1. someone should go to new zealand and check if they'res still people there.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

its hard not to be peaceful in a country that is full of sheep. the sheep out number new zealanders by 3,000,000 to 1. someone should go to new zealand and check if they'res still people there.

LOL you are cruel randomname, I would migrate there anytime
(first 2012 sun!)

btw check here for through and in depth analysis, that indexmundi.com will pale in comparison.

on 2nd thought... New Zealand is not so good.

Corruption (most recent) by country

[edit on 17-8-2010 by RainCloud]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

mm doesn't really say "how" the stats are calculated .. some states were rather surprising, like India ranking so low, and a country like Oman ranking so high? Or Mexico ranking higher than Venezuela.

Or Indonesia doing better than the US/Uk/France ..

Meh whatever.. not impressed.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
So why are there only 149 countries listed when there are almost 200. The list is skewed to make some look better.

I would bet that if some of the smaller countries such as Vanuatu, Niue, Kiribati, Lichtenstein, Monaco, San Marino etc. were listed they all would be at the top of the list.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by jatsc]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RainCloud

The top countries on that list have the least corruption.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join