It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it normal to have 3 X 7 magnitude earthquakes in the last 5 days?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
There have been three X seven magnitude earthquakes within the last 5 days.

On 10th August there was a 7.3 in Vanuatu

On 12th August there was a 7.1 in Ecuador

On 13th August there was a 7.2 in the Mariana Islands Region

There was also a 6 magnitude earthquake on 11th August in Vanuatu and a 6.3 in the Mariana Islands Region.

Details of the earthquakes can be seen here:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Perfectly normal, carry on lads, nothing to see here.

If and when the San Andreas goes and the greater Los Angeles area is affected, will be when people decide that the earthquake phenomenon is increasing.

If it doesn't happen in Hollywood, nobody cares....

[edit on 14-8-2010 by sticky]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
From what I've heard, it is quite unusual to have so many 7 magnitude earthquakes, especially within the space of 5 days. Would be interested to hear your opinion on this (i.e. whether you think it's normal) and also thoughts on what could be causing the increase in activity.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Hi there,

it's sad if that is the case, but maybe you're right.

From what I've seen of earthquake magnitude and frequency over the years, this is not normal. I find it very disconcerting that these earthquakes don't get talked about or mentioned practically anywhere. Very strange! Maybe we are (preferably) not meant to notice???

Originally posted by sticky
Perfectly normal, carry on lads, nothing to see here.

If and when the San Andreas goes and the greater Los Angeles area is affected, will be when people decide that the earthquake phenomenon is increasing.

If it doesn't happen in Hollywood, nobody cares....

[edit on 14-8-2010 by sticky]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Aelfrede

....well I heard that a certain planet has annoyed

a creator

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

It's either CMEs or HAARP

Depends who you ask..

BTW, 3 doesn't sound like many unless they continue..

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
LOL now that would explain many things ;-)

Originally posted by radarloveguy

....well I heard that a certain planet has annoyed

a creator

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
2 are on the edged of the pacific plate so its not too surprising that this happened.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
So you think that three 7 magnitude earthquakes in 5 days doesn't sound like much? Does this happen quite often? I must say I have only been following earthquake activity on a daily basis this year. So if these earthquakes haven't been mentioned by mass media then maybe such frequency has happened before. Saying that though, I have heard that 7 magnitude earthquakes are quite rare, and that only 1 or 2 or expected in a year. Have I been misinformed?

Originally posted by CynicalM

It's either CMEs or HAARP

Depends who you ask..

BTW, 3 doesn't sound like many unless they continue..

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
What do you mean by this? What are the implications?

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
2 are on the edged of the pacific plate so its not too surprising that this happened.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Have I been misinformed?

Yes you have..
I think its 1 or 2, 8+ quakes is average.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Here ya go,

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
plate motion.
in 2 words.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Is it normal ? It is now or soon will be,dont forget the triple sevens in the Moro gulf a couple of weeks ago.Maybe it's just a phase we are going through,like a mid life crisis.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Guys, your missing the big picture, the earth has been around for a very long time, and we haven't been monitoring for all that long if you think about it, how do we know what is normal in these matters in the grand scheme of things, we could have a massive earthquake tomorrow the likes of which we have never seen, or recorded, doesn't mean to say it hasn't happened before. relax, the earth isn't going to blow up or shake itself to pieces, it's just a natural occurrence, it could be coincidence that there is a few big ones in a short space, or it could be they trigger each other off. It could be the land masses moving slightly causing tectonic shifts over a larger area, who knows. Heck, even the supporters of solar flares and quakes being tied in could be right for all we truly know, and the sun has just let rip with a massive trouser staining bottom burp.

[edit on 14/8/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
dont forget the triple sevens in the Moro gulf a couple of weeks ago.

I was thinking the same thing. Do 3 magnitude 7 quakes in the same day make you feel better or worse about only having 3 withing 5 days? Depends what way you're looking at things.

Edit to add:
reply to post by woogleuk

I absolutely agree with your first part but your last sentence is a direct contradiction, isn't it? How do we know the earth isn't going to shake itself to pieces as part of a natural occurrence?

[edit on 8/14/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Not unusual at all.

There were 4 7.x magnitude quakes in October 1974

4 in June 1982

5 in June 1996

Another 4 in November 1999

Another 5 September 2007

Source

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
i don't think the earth will be destroyed by violent earth quakes but its more likely that violent earthquakes will have other effects on us that mabye unseen today.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Would be interested to hear your opinion on this (i.e. whether you think it's normal) and also thoughts on what could be causing the increase in activity

on 10 August the 'New Moon' was in perigee (closest to Earth),

there are some who say this alignment of the Sun/Moon
with the Earth creates a 10-14 day window of expectation that
earthquakes will result, usually more powerful quakes.

i know that the george ure site, associated with the cliff high
webbot program, had stated we should expect quakes after the 10 Aug moon in perigee & the eclipse alignment... there's plenty of other forecasters who are in that school of thought about the tidal force of the moon

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Well as far as tough earthquakes come, only 1995 tops this year with 20 earthquakes of 7+.
1999 and 2007 both saw 18 7+ quakes. So all in all i'd say that we've got quite the active year. We'll probably break the 1995 record of 20 7+quakes but I dont think we can call that something special... its a little more then usual.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join