It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army dogs suffering from PTSD in Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

If you assault a police K-9 you get exactly the same charge as assaulting the police.

They really do think of their dogs as cops. And rightfully so.

Again doesn't matter what you think (I don't think they should be used either). We aren't the ones calling the shots

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
You guys are aware that the dogs are considered integral members of the units in which they serve. They hold ranks and receive pensions (which goes towards medical expenses and caring for the dog) just like their human counterparts.

The history of warfare might as well be called the history of the horse and the dog instead ....

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

While I agree it is quite sad that some people value pets over people- as I indicated in my post, it has been accepted for quite some time that canine's experience emotions. It is not merely projection of the owner's own emotions as you indicate.

I am not familiar with the other pets you named from a personal, ownership perspective, although I have personally always thought cat owners project their emotions onto these pets.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that dogs experience emotions.
Their breeding has been refined over decades to accomplish the task of becoming "man's best friend", and the efforts have obviously been enormously successful.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by corruptedtesssa

Thank you for making that point. It is quite true. One of my horses was literally raped a few years back (by another horse). She totally freaked out.
The Vet came to check her out, and said she was fine medically, however she was severely traumatized. He said it might take her "several days" to get over it.

Try several months. She wouldn't eat, didn't want to join in with the others, and was generally not herself. She wouldn't associate with anybody but me, and typically she was a friend to everybody. She did eventually recover with lots of love, and rest.

DaMod: Thanks for the picture. I'm glad at least they get a uniform, and some status. Police dogs are highly loved by their handlers. I bet these military dogs are too. Nonetheless, they should be swimming and playing frisbee. IMO.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Of course they get a uniform, it's Kevlar too. MWD's (Military Work Dogs) are highly valued by the troops and the military and are considered an asset. I saw a video earlier where someone said that these dogs save on average of 4-5 lives a day. That is what I call an asset!

I'm 100% sure these dogs are loved by their handlers. I'm also sure that they are necessary over there. The war shouldn't be happening, but while it is these Dogs are saving lives. In fact I've also heard (by an ex marine friend of mine) they are utilized in strike situations so the soldiers don't have to use deadly force.

A Video I found Relevant to the thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I also wanted to say there is a huge difference between these dogs and the dogs you see out playing Frisbee (even though some of these dogs love Frisbees).

It's the quality of their training. (the first vid is insanity)

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ
Animals definitely exhibit psychological issues.

Obviously, Pavlov proved it like a hundred years ago... but it doesn't take an idiot to realize that a dog, mammal or any advanced organism in general exhibit general emotions.

But then again, what do armies care? Dogs are just cost-effective units, with numbers instead of names.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Self-pity by David Herbert Lawrence
"I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself".

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
some humans have no feelings.
I bet you never had a dog you loved.
dot lie.

reply to post by Solomons

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TylerDruden

i haven't read through the entire thread, so i'm just commenting on the openning post. so shoot me.
me

i remember similiar stories of how the search dogs at the Oklahoma City bombing were less reluctant to go searching for bodies since they were only finding bodies and no survivors after awhile. to the point where the handlers and trainers created scenarios where the dogs searched and they hid real people to "act" for the dogs that they had been rescued by the dogs, and the dogs' moral was actually improved.

i have ptsd, and i wouldn't wish it upon anyone, canines included.

thanks puppies, and puppies parents.

those dogs do a great job, and to be honest, get treated rather well.
service men and women certainly appreciate their efforts.
i know some dogs who were more decorated than some seargents i knew, true.

thanks for sharing,
et

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

you can not hear a fish scream or cry.
you can not hear a tree scream or cry.
does that mean they dont feel any pain?
tests have been done on trees that show when one tree is burnt with fire.
the other trees around it. show the same electrical and chemical changes.
and the next time you wall up to the tree to burn it.
before you do. the tree reacts.
fear! pain!
you just dont wont to believe that things other than humans
have feelings.
I bet you are a Christian.
they believe that humans are special and animals are just some thing to use.
in Buddhism you can be reincarnated as a animal.
the more you are good. the more you go up in spiritual evolution.
be bad and you go down. that would be a very real heal for some.
I would happily come back as a dog.
animals have a soul.
I wonder what you will come back as?
no wonder the aliens have nothing to do with us.
you would not even make a good pet.
never mind a equal.
think about it. to aliens we are very low forms of life.
and what do most of you think of lower forms of life?
how can you expect to be treated as equals to advanced life forms?
remember you are a very low form of life to them.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Twenty-five years ago, I read a peer-reviewed article by an MD who was researching PTSD. In his literature review, he cited the the behavior of dogs who had been severely abused when they were returned to the cite of their abuse.

Back then, I couldn't get anyone in the PTSD treatment community to take the author seriously.

I can't remember the author's name or exactly what his hypotheses were exactly, but I do believe that now with the findings that he might be vindicated.

Now that I think about it, I believe that he was postulating that PTSD becomes hardwired in the brains of some victims.

I'd sure like to find that article now.

[edit on 2010/8/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Sorry, i don't understand what you are talking about. I have never had a dog, no....don't care to have one either, that doesn't negate my post. It's just our culture as to why people think certain ways regarding dogs, other cultures eat them. Neither is wrong or right, but they certainly don't have human like emotions nor are they particularly bright compared to other animals.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

But then again, what do armies care? Dogs are just cost-effective units, with numbers instead of names.

I have to take offense to that statement. It is just stupid. Have you ever been around a service dog and handler? Have you seen how handlers and service dogs interact when they are not on duty?

The dogs that so many of you are pitying are not there for your pity. They are trained from puppies to be conditioned to do a dangerous job. They are regarded as equal members of the force they support, beit local law enforcement, federal agencies, or military organizations. They are recruited and have to actually pass tests to be accepted, much like humans do. Not all dogs can be or are selected for service duty. It is a measure to insure the highest aptitude and resilience in the service dog.

Dogs are an integral part of most of the local and federal enforcement and military because of their keen senses (smell, hearing, sight), their devotion and unfounded loyalty, and their inate desire to please through action.

While you are pitying the few, look back at the many. All over the world, there are memorials and shrines to war dogs, police dogs, agency dogs. How many more people would have been lost in the 9-11 collapse without these specially trained service dogs? How many more drug smugglers and human trafficers would have gone unnoticed nationally and at borders without these 4-legged civil servants? How many more bombs would have gone off and how many more lives would have been lost throughout history around the world, without these selfless heroes?

I love my dogs. I have had dogs in my life for my entire life. They are absolutely the best pet and friend a person can have. But I dont pity them. I dont coddle them. I train them, teach them discipline, correct them, praise them, and give them affection. In turn, they give me loyalty, devotion, protection, and can be quite comical. It is symbiotic, in that we (me the human, them the dog) have agreed to share space for equal return. I will be no more or less saddened by their death than any other member of my family.

If you really want to help these dogs, then show them strong leadership and quite whining over their trauma. It is the most efficient way to help them put their past behind them and step bravely forward. That is just a proven fact.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join