It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army dogs suffering from PTSD in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Army dogs suffering from PTSD in Iraq

www.thene.ws

A report by the U.S. Army came out stating that dogs that are used in combat in Iraq developed the symptoms of post-traumatic stress after returning to the United States.

Among these dogs (Gina), which was used in Iraq in the search for unexploded ordnance in homes with American soldiers and has been left with a significant impact on the psychological status.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed all caps title.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Not shocking considering the stress these animals are put threw. There is some controversy over whether or not animals can actually have PTSD but Dr. Melanie Marsden, with The Pikes Peak Veterinarian Clinic, says it is possible for dogs to be traumatized. Gina hasn’t completely recovered but she's making progress every day, with her new handler.

www.thene.ws
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I hope PETA gets on top of this.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TylerDruden

There is some controversy over whether or not animals can actually have PTSD but Dr. Melanie Marsden, with The Pikes Peak Veterinarian Clinic, says it is possible for dogs to be traumatized.
...my dog was playing with a balloon when it was a puppy, it popped in its face and scared the living hell of it...it's been several years since that, and if you bring a balloon anywhere near my dog it is clearly freaked out, it will do anything to get away from the balloon...animals like dogs and cats clearly have a degree of sentience IMO.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I hope PETA gets on top of this.
Oh...so it's alright for humans to go to war and come back with PTSD...but when it's an animal, oh dear lord, we better get on top of that quick smart. Reminds me of a joke I heard once:

I find it funny how you can have those organizations come around to check that your house is fit for your pets such as the dog...if your house it too small or something, the pet will be removed and taken to a better place... ... ...but they'll leave you there..."I'm sorry mate, but this place aint fit for a dog".

EDIT: Sorry, I added the punchline.

[edit on 6/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Animals definitely exhibit psychological issues. Our cat is a rescue cat and he was found in an attic only about a week or so old. His eyes weren't open yet according to the vet where we got him. But even now he has a need for nurturing. He likes to lay next to us on the couch but he positions himself against you like he would if he was nursing from his mother and "Kneeds" you and nuzzles you with his head.

These poor dogs must be feeling stress from their service. The navy also used dolphins to sweep the Basra Harbour during the start of the war. They flew them into Basra from a facility in Kuwait. Can you imagine the kind of stress they were under.

I wish I had a huge amount of land and money. I would take them all and turn it into dog heaven for them. Fire Hydrants everywhere, dirt and stuff to roll around in, toilets to drink out of everywhere...you know dog paradise.

Deez

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Dogs never had a choice to go there, they just went and thats it.
Its not ok for either, however I agree that Peta should be made aware of this.

I am sure there are other means to search for unexploded devices, but am sure none are as cheap or expandable as a dog.

Dogs and all other animals do exhibit emotions, they think and feel.
All you need is to spend time with any animal and observe.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Next the dogs will be "depressed".

Has it ever occured to them that maybe the dog is simply experiencing completely normal real feelings given what it has been through?

Nah... It's suffering from a "mental illness"...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Hell they will give pets all sorts to make a buck, they give dogs things like clomipramine for OCD
Anyway, im more worried about the soldiers over there and their mental health, the inadequate care for them should be sorted out before we start worrying about bloody dogs.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Soldiers signed up to go there. They get paid to go there. It's their job. They voluntarily signed up and signed their lives away.

Animals can't make that decision. These dogs have been forced to go there and now come back with issues due to the stress they've experienced. I expect their handlers try their best, but to put a dog in a war zone and subject it to all manners of stressful situations, loud noises and constant fear is cruelty.

So i'll worry about the dogs before the soldiers thanks. The dogs never signed on the dotted line and don't get paid to risk their lives and mental health.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Studies have shown that many dogs experience the same (or similar) emotions as we do.

Anybody who has lived with a dog knows this.

I'm sorry to hear this, I didn't know it was going on. I'm definitely opposed, and find it to be animal cruelty.

There are many things dogs can do for us humans, and have for centuries. But to knowingly and willfully put them in harms way in this manner....in a war.....is unacceptable.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
These dogs are soldiers. They are trained to do one thing from their early age. They are not the same kinds of dogs you keep around your house. Dogs are intelligent, yes, but at the same time, they are limited in their mental scope. These dogs make bonds because it is in their nature to do so, but again they dont do so in the same way that house pets do.

Their minds are focused differently.

I do believe that they can experience the stress of the situation, but mostly it is fed to them by their handlers. Dogs primarily share the emotional state of their Alpha (dog or human). A weak Alpha breeds a weak dog. The stress they are feeling has a lot to do with empathizing with their handlers own stress.

Given the right new handler and environment, they will snap out of it a lot faster than their human counterparts. Dogs are emotionally very resilliant and have the ability, when done correctly, to leave their past behind them and move on. I wont go into more detail because it is a topic for an animal forum, but trust me, they are going to be fine in the long run.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
my dog was playing with a balloon when it was a puppy, it popped in its face and scared the living hell of it...it's been several years since that, and if you bring a balloon anywhere near my dog it is clearly freaked out, it will do anything to get away from the balloon...animals like dogs and cats clearly have a degree of sentience IMO.

This is 100 percent true, same thing happened with my dog, hates balloons and as a consequence it now hates fireworks even though it's only heard fireworks in the distance.

Dogs get emotionally scarred (scaRRed) just the same as we do. Dogs are amazing creatures and I respect the hell out of them but even so, if I had to choose between sacrificing a dog over a soldier in a war then I'm afraid the dog loses, which is actually hard for me to say. Obviously the dogs shouldn't be in this situation in the first place but in this situation neither should the soldiers.

This army dog needs sedating for a long time, maybe for life due to how deeply it's traumatised. When November the 5th arrives we have to sedate our dog for a few days until the bangs stop, seems to do the trick.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Many pet owners whether it be dogs,cats,lizards etc etc tend to think their pets show 'human' emotions, the simple fact is that the owner themselves are superimposing these emotions on to the animals actions, of course they will deny this until they are blue in the face...Oh and it is really disturbing that some folks value dogs over people imo, quite sad as well....

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ
The navy also used dolphins to sweep the Basra Harbour during the start of the war. They flew them into Basra from a facility in Kuwait. Can you imagine the kind of stress they were under.

I wish I had a huge amount of land and money. I would take them all and turn it into dog heaven for them. Fire Hydrants everywhere, dirt and stuff to roll around in, toilets to drink out of everywhere...you know dog paradise.

That's all well and good and a noble sentiment, but good god man, they need water!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I saw this the other day on Yahoo news- which led me to a video clip. The dog was tore up for a while. It would slink down as it walked through the house. It has progressed very well and finally enjoys going on walks and interacting in the downtown area.

I really hope the dog is truly better and not because of some Meds the Veterinarian prescribed.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Anyone who could even think that a dog, or animals in general can not be psychological traumatized is just ignorant. Of course they can be!!
Ever have or meet a rescue dog? some go completely out of control where you cant really do anything with them..our dog was 4 years old when we got him, we got him from a friend of a friend who didnt want the responsibilities of having him any longer, and 4 years on, he still hides under beds when voices are raised (not at him, just among the family)..he runs away when im shaking clothes or towels out..he freaks out at the snapping sound they make..
As a kid, my sister got me a pet rabbit, she had saved it from collage kids that were abusing it for fun (cigarette burns, and general bullying, kicking etc) and no matter how long we had him and handled him his skittishness never went away and we had to give him to a nearby farm..
The point is, these animals were traumatized, any argument that they cant be mentally damaged is ridiculous. I cant imagine a dog in a war zone, nor their reactions at the time and when they return home after such an experience..poor creatures, dragged into a man made hell on earth such as that..

[edit on 6-8-2010 by corruptedtesssa]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I don't think the armed forces or the police should use animals at all. If we're not prepared to go there, then animals should not be sent to do our dirty work.

I feel sorry for horses too as well as dogs. They get a right raw deal when the police use them in riots. They get stabbed, kicked, set alight and pushed over & allsorts.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Waht about the civilians , men women and children of iraq?

Are they allowed to suffer from ptsd as well?

I am an animal lover , but really............

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Studies have shown that many dogs experience the same (or similar) emotions as we do.

Anybody who has lived with a dog knows this.

I'm sorry to hear this, I didn't know it was going on. I'm definitely opposed, and find it to be animal cruelty.

There are many things dogs can do for us humans, and have for centuries. But to knowingly and willfully put them in harms way in this manner....in a war.....is unacceptable.

Dogs have been used in war for a long long time by a ton of countries. I agree though, there isn't an animal on earth (besides the Horse) that has done as much for us as Dogs have.

With that said, there is no way that dogs will not be used in war as long as the people calling the shots are military personnel. Doesn't matter how much you don't like it or think it shouldn't happen. It's a fact of life. I do think they should give help to these animals though (and the soldiers) who have seen things that no one ever should.

At least they give the animals protection when going into battle.

Has to count for something right?

[edit on 6-8-2010 by DaMod]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join