It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware of Tattoos!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
After you read this article, you will understand.
I don't have much to say about this other than the steps at the bottom describe some great steps to follow.

www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk...

A TEENAGER who paid �90 to have his arm tattoed with Chinese characters got a shock when he learned the message read: 'At the end of the day, this is an ugly boy.'
Hairdresser Lee Becks thought he had Mandarin for 'Love, honour and obey' etched into his skin.
The 18-year-old found out that he had been tricked when he saw the effect it had on a woman serving at a Chinese take-away.
'At first, she said something about me making people laugh and talked about a crown,' he said.
'But then I realised she was really saying clown, not crown. The young woman blushed and was very reluctant to translate for me. Then she admitted what it really said.'

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Ah ha ha. I knew it.

I had a friend once who thought she got the symbol for "Junkie" on the back of her neck.

I was like right, the ancient symbol for "Junkie". Uh huh. That's what that means.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Makes me wonder about the legal ramifications of this kind of thing.

Assault? Vandalism?

Seems like there's got to be some kind of grounds for action. I wonder if anybody has sued over this stuff yet? If it's happened in America, someone HAD to have sued over it by now! *L*

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
This was in the news a while ago. Some tattoo artist in CA if anyone wants to do research. I didn't follow up with the story much though.

It just goes to prove that you should never pick a tattoo off the wall.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
*laughin*

When I got mine, he waved his hand around the room and said "all the stuff on the walls is crap" and then asked what I wanted. I asked why he'd say that. He said "Number 1, I didn't do any of them. Number 2, get one if you want to look like every other half-wit who has walked in here before you". *L*

I wanted to look like a unique half-wit so I let him work something else up for me!

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
thats why i will never get chinese writting done. Im just sticking to dragons and symbols
im getting a celtic cross next

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
After you read this article, you will understand.
I don't have much to say about this other than the steps at the bottom describe some great steps to follow.

www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk...

A TEENAGER who paid �90 to have his arm tattoed with Chinese characters got a shock when he learned the message read: 'At the end of the day, this is an ugly boy.'
Hairdresser Lee Becks thought he had Mandarin for 'Love, honour and obey' etched into his skin.
The 18-year-old found out that he had been tricked when he saw the effect it had on a woman serving at a Chinese take-away.
'At first, she said something about me making people laugh and talked about a crown,' he said.
'But then I realised she was really saying clown, not crown. The young woman blushed and was very reluctant to translate for me. Then she admitted what it really said.'

this tells me two things, first people NEED to confirm whatever text they are having tattooed if they are not familar with the language PRIOR tog etting the work done.

secondly, dont get text in a language you dont know.

the person getting tattooed has the sole responsibility to researching or not researching whatever it is they want tattooed, the shop itself isnt responsible.

you could want "i'm an idiot" tatted on uyour forehead and it wouldnt matter, they get paid either way.

even if they misled him purposely its STILL his responsibility to make sure thats what it meant prior to having it done.

next time stick to english!

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
why people would get symbols from other languages they don't understand tattooed on their bodies is beyond me. If you don't know what it says and have to rely on someone else to tell you, then maybe you should ask for several opinions from various sources before committing....

new topics

top topics

join