It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bikini-Clad Brit Detained in Dubai Mall

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
My friend got upset with our city counsel so she tore her clothes off and when she was butt naked, she started smearing ashes on herself.

They arrested her. She told them that's what their Bible heros did when they were grieving over something. (The case was about the destroying a beloved part of the local environment.)

She got her point across at least.

This lady did the same thing - it was a form of protest.

I just hope this lady's punishment is not too bad. When you protest, sometimes you run the risk of being punished.

I never saw what was so threatening about a naked body though. I find head to toe covering much more threatening myself.

It's not a new form of protest - remember the Lady Godiva stories?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Women in Muslim cultures cover themselves so they are not sexually attractive. Men in those cultures have not learned to numb or resist their natural urge to go for exposed female flesh. Girls, it's the way we're wired, and here you can take advantage of it, and there you can't.

I suppose the other Muslim women didn't want this chick distracting their guy. Pretty easy to understand too.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

It seems simple to me. When you visit another country, you either abide by their laws or you simply should not go.

Same goes for those visiting here in the US.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Succinct, to the point and accurate. Can't be said better imo.

Btw, love your signature. More people should read and understand it.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yeah, my signature pretty much represents how I feel about the world. Life would be much easier on us all if violence and force were taken out of the equation.

King and Gandhi are two of my personal hero's. If the world's people thought like them a utopia might be possible.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by oniongrass

Women in Muslim cultures cover themselves so they are not sexually attractive. Men in those cultures have not learned to numb or resist their natural urge to go for exposed female flesh. Girls, it's the way we're wired, and here you can take advantage of it, and there you can't.

I suppose the other Muslim women didn't want this chick distracting their guy. Pretty easy to understand too.

Ok, so you are saying....women hide because their men are barbarian cavemen? That the sight of a naked woman makes them go crazy because they can't resist their natural urges?

Other muslim women are so jealous that they make other women cover up?

What ARE you saying?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I'm saying what I'm saying. Your paraphrase was pretty close to what I said originally, not too far off. Are you outraged or something?

That's the way men are there, at least so I've heard, probably the story came from Saudi where I've heard all women must wear hijab. Indeed in a shopping mall in Dubai (I've been in one), you see some women with black outfits covering almost 100% of their bodies except the eyes (hijab), some women with more western-looking dress but modest and with scarves. Nobody in sexually showy clothes, either men or women. It's just not done.

Someone who decides to wear a bikini there is deciding to be a jerk. She shows no consideration for the men or the women, only her own views or desires or ... who knows what, I don't think like she does, but I'm not in favor of people having to put up with it.

And I wish our culture were more like that , but it's not, and so I don't complain when women walk around like hookers here. They can display their bodies like meat, and I've learned to look at them when I want and that's all I'll do.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by oniongrass]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What a silly girl!!

I bet that she just watched the new Sex And The City movie and got her motivation straight from it thinking she would be 'cool' like the charactor Samantha.

There is a scene where Samantha gets annoyed at all the Dubai laws and nearly strips off in the market, she ends up down to her shorts and a clingy tee whilst throwing condoms around shouting at the Dubai men.

Silly film and silly girl.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Stupid TV and movies. Why are our TV shows and movies designed to bring out the worst in us? Is it because they make more money from advertisement and ticket sales that way, or is there another reason for the steady diet of filth?

[edit on 5-8-2010 by oniongrass]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Sorry for echoing the message other members have already stated but the more it is explained, hopefully the more it will be considered by those who get offended by these types stories.

If you intend to leave the country in which you live for a holiday, business trip or to relocate, ensure you understand and agree to abide by the laws and social norms of the country you are entering. Those entering a country that is culturally and socially different from their own have the burden of responsibility to fit in.

Let's also not forget this is not simply a case of "forgetting" to dress modestly. She was trying to make a statement by taking part in an action that drew attention to herself and her cause. Whether the laws and customs of the country are just is irrelevant; one's decision to disrespect and show disregard for the laws already in place is the problem.

[edit on 5/8/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover

I hope that I don't offend anyone (probably will) but shouldn't they keep everything completely seperate? If you are going to be moral to the point that you arrest people for kissing public, why not build a Reno, a place where brothels are completely legal? Or do they accept the fact that prositition is one of the oldest professions in the world, and since it will always be here, might as well keep it more or less centralized in known locations that are easily avoidable by the devout Muslims in their country, and completely off the streets?

[edit on 5-8-2010 by lasertaglover]

It's called Bahrain. It's where all good Muslims can go to eat, drink and be merry.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
Try stripping down to a bikini and walking through you local shoppin centre in England...I doubt you manage to stay there for long before being forced to leave or having the police called to move you along...

Why such a shock that in a country where modesty is even more important...it would still not be allowed.

She wasn't on a beach here people...she was in a shopping centre, bikinies arn't shopping centre clothes. (even if I wish they were
)

[edit on 5-8-2010 by StevenDye]

But that raises an interesting question...

Why is it ok to wear a bikini or speedo at a beach, pool, or anywhere involving water (water seems to be a common denominator for measuring appropriateness) but you can't wear that in a mall or other shopping area? A bikini provides the same "area coverage" as panties/bra so IS it ok to wear just panties and a bra to the pool? No? And if you walk around a mall in your bikini it's somehow awful and, what?, exposing innocents to your indecency . . . which is A-OK if you're at a beach/pool/lake/water-park.

***talking about in western culture nations such as UK and US***

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
But more to the point...

As much as we may disagree with the customs, traditions, practices, etc. in a foreign country it is important to remember that the people of that country can chose their own norms. Likewise, they can't tell us how to behave in our country. This is why there are different countries and why borders are important: the osmotic membranes of society.

This British woman is arrogant lout who should be punished for her hubris.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
As you said, they keep the dens of iniquity out of the 'public' forum. I feel no pain for this woman who had no respect for the customs of a country not her own.

country? it is the human country you're referencing? let's face it. some "laws" are just control devices, and have no real place in the future. as we move towards the future, things must change. change is the only constant!
i applaud this woman for her bold stance! fight the good fight wherever you may, peeps.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I hope this puts and end to attention whoring

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I hope this puts and end to attention whoring

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

In Melbourne, Victoria, Australia - any woman could walk through a shopping center in a bikini without any problems at all.

I have seen it many times. I think they could do this in other states as well including Queensland & NSW.

She still did the wrong thing in that country, but she still only got a warning, nothing else right?

What she did, might make the woman who originally confront her think twice about opening her mouth next time and mind her own business.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I have no pity for this woman. Any logical person knows - if you visit a foreign country LEARN THE LAWS OF THE LAND and ABIDE BY THEM. Its very simple to do!

You dont like the laws there - then simply dont go if you cant follow them. Seems many idiot foreigners visiting this country continually break their laws and end up in jail.

I have posted this before...but my brother almost bought a house in Dubai. After reading the laws and extreme customs there - he decided he would not even visit because it just didnt jive with his way of life.

[edit on August 5th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

Yeah I agree, move to a country and abide by their laws and customs just like muslims do in britain.
Oh no wait they move here have new laws passed, build mosques and call british people racist for celebrating christmas and flying st.George flags..

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Iv worked in a shopping centre and have seen woman walk round in just a bikini top and a pair of tight ass shorts that may as well be G strings and no one battered an eyelid.

The police in England would only bother you if you was naked.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by spaznational

Funny how when people come here to England and moan about our laws and traditions and then eventually get more rights than its own people!!

Sad but very true.

[edit on 6/8/10 by Ezappa]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join