It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I left my Christian faith

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I probably have told a few people that I used to be a Bible thumping Christian in the past. I used to rage and stomp my feet when anyone said they didn't believe in the same religion as I did. Even though I didn't feel I was in wrong at the time I quickly started going to numerous churches and Christian youth groups. As much I hated others who didn't share my beliefs at the time. I quickly found out I was hated at the churches as well. No one respected me at all! I was frustrated and I kept questioning my self. WHY? Why do these people well say hi then tell me to get lost? I went to numerous Churches and they were all the same. All the Money, Sweat, Tears and Work suddenly seem like a waste in helping these people have happiness in their life. Daily I would pray for a change in my life. I hated being used by other Christians and being made fun of being a Christian at school and everywhere else in my teen years. What could you do to find peace in life without being ridiculed for your beliefs? I even started back up the Christian club at my school but we quit after the first week. I hate to admit I liked finding that small amount of peace at that school and having a few Christian teens who respected me. Soon after the club quickly ended I started to question my beliefs. Then one day I just gave up on Jesus and now I'm in my new pair of shoes. Even though I'm still friends with my old pastor. I highly doubt now I will go back to the horrors I went through as a teen. Maybe I would meet a woman who is a Christian and I might convert. But I'm myself and not an Atheist, agnostic or any religion.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
People do not make a belief true or false , the teachings do and evidences do.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I hated being used by other Christians and being made fun of being a Christian at school and everywhere else in my teen years "

RR

rr christians who use others aren't christian. One thing you gotta have in this life is tuff b****. I personally don't give a rats a** who makes fun of me or not, part of being a christian means buttheads will laugh at you specially if you wear the scapular around your neck like I used too.

but as for the rest of your story. God doesn't want you to leave a relationship with him because of others. Stay open minded to whatever comes and hopefully you may have a relationship with Jesus again.

peace!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I probably have told a few people that I used to be a Bible thumping Christian in the past. I used to rage and stomp my feet when anyone said they didn't believe in the same religion as I did
What religion would this be? As you may already know that Christianity is not a religion.

Even though I didn't feel I was in wrong at the time I quickly started going to numerous churches and Christian youth groups. As much I hated others who didn't share my beliefs at the time. I quickly found out I was hated at the churches as well. No one respected me at all! I was frustrated and I kept questioning my self
Did it ever occur to you that just maybe it was your imagination or your lack of intellect. It was either one or the other.

I hated being used by other Christians and being made fun of being a Christian at school and everywhere else in my teen years.
humm. Yea I guess that's a good reason to abandon Christ.

I hate to admit I liked finding that small amount of peace at that school and having a few Christian teens who respected me
? so another words you seek friends?

Then one day I just gave up on Jesus and now I'm in my new pair of shoes. Even though I'm still friends with my old pastor. I highly doubt now I will go back to the horrors I went through as a teen. Maybe I would meet a woman who is a Christian and I might convert. But I'm myself and not an Atheist, agnostic or any religion.
So ya left Jesus ..Lets guess, you have more friends , oh wait , If a woman shows up who is Christian...maybe you'll go back?How pathetic!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying. I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public. Pardon me, but you've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a damn.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Please don't come here to bash on him simply because he stopped believing, it makes you and every other Christian look bad.

As for the OP, I dont really understand why you stopped believing? I've had the same problems, so I just stopped going to church for a while to cool off and decide what to do... and to be honest you dont even need to go to church to have a relationship with God, it's all you.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Falken

Well having both home and school chaotic; then being used by the Church just made me sick to my stomach. Just made me give up on my faith. You would have to be in my shoes and see what I went through.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The more and more i see you post the more and more, I believe you need to seek out some professional help. I do not mean this in a mean or condescending way, and i do apologize if it seems a bit harsh. It just seems to me that you have some issues that need to be dealt with.

I am far from an expert but from your posts it appears you are probably socially awkward, and have a hard time fitting in, in social situations. And hey that is not a bad thing, a great many people have the same problem.

Most peoples teenage years are a nightmare, this is nothing new and nothing exclusive to youth of faith or not. It seems to me that you just want to be accepted and are willing to do whatever you can and take up whatever cause/stance to gain that acceptance without once ever questioning if you really feel its right for you or not.

The reasons you give for abandoning your walk in your Christian faith are all rather petty and self serving. It is clear you are not of one mind on the subject, and therefore will never be content.

You blame members of the church for not liking you or the respect you feel you deserve. I get that I can even empathize with that notion. I do not belong to a specific church myself because I feel that for the most part they are filled with blind judgmental fools who are in to do their time and leave. It is a job to them nothing more nothing less.

You apparently had a hard time in high school due to your faith, yet you freely admit to taking the same tact in your attempts to those who did not share your ideology. ti is good to question your beliefs you will never grow spiritually without doing so, it is when the times are rough and there isn't much of a reason to have faith that you make the faith tank grow. Anyone can believe when the going is good and the waters are calm. It is when the whirlwind knocks you down and kicks you when your down that it is hard to keep believing.

If you meet a Christian girl you might convert back?
What happens if you break up?
Do you break up with God again because it didn't last?
What happens when your children have to face the same things in high school you did because of your faith, are you going to quit believing again?

It is a respectable thing for someone to say I do not believe in God because I see no reason we need one. Or because I believe that it is nothing more than a recycled religion based on ancient writings. Or that you can not provide a tangible proof for me to believe that there is a God.

It is a completely different thing to say I do not believe in God because it does not socially suit me to do so, but I will reevaluate that if it appears to be socially conducive to do so.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Falken

Please don't come here to bash on him simply because he stopped believing, it makes you and every other Christian look bad.

First of all Im not "bashing" anyone. It is he who has a problem with me. Tell the truth R.R... It is he who started to leave anti Christ comments on my public display.It is he who first made contact with me. Secondly, I call them as I see them. Just read his post.Hes not looking for spiritual sanity rather that of humanistic friendship.Hes looking to belong but brings nothing to the table but his imagination.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
reply to post by Falken

First of all Im not "bashing" anyone. It is he who has a problem with me. Tell the truth R.R... It is he who started to leave anti Christ comments on my public display.It is he who first made contact with me. Secondly, I call them as I see them. Just read his post.Hes not looking for spiritual sanity rather that of humanistic friendship.Hes looking to belong but brings nothing to the table but his imagination.

I didn't leave Antichrist comments. i left quotes from famous Atheist who question religion. Actually I was just bored and decided to post my testimony.
Yes, I am happy. Do you got a problem with that?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I didn't leave Antichrist comments. i left quotes from famous Atheist who question religion
Why would you do this if your intentions were not to provoke?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I shouldn't of left the comments on your page. It was childish of me to do so! Do you accept my apology?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

I shouldn't of left the comments on your page. It was childish of me to do so! Do you accept my apology?

There is no need for apology. This is an open forum.You can do as you please.
If you wish to discuss Theology as it pertains to the belief in God, than I can help.There is only one truth and were all on the same road to find it.Some of us are content with not finding it at all.Imagine that! Other than that, my offer stands.
Are you a recipient of truth?

_People who seem to be down on things are not up on things.(dont be a downer)

[edit on 5-8-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Here's an exercise you might want to try, it seems to help me a little. Imagine that no one judges you. Like right now, if you are typing something on your keyboard, there is not someone standing there looking over your shoulder watching what you write and deciding if what you say is right or wrong, or that they wish you were doing something else and someday you will have to pay for what you are doing. You need to seriously take a responsibility to do what you think is right, and not what some hypothetical phantom entity watching you thinks.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

, and not what some hypothetical phantom entity watching you thinks.
Who would this be? If you dont mind me asking. Is this what you think of when you think of God? How did you come to this conclusion? JIM

[edit on 5-8-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

It's not ayone in particular and it could be society or a father who would punish you or possibly a nebulous religious idea about judgement.
It's an exercise to free up your mind from oppressive thoughts and maybe not everyone has those, so just do this if you feel oppressed by negative thoughts.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Oh, okay than its safe to say that society or a father would not be a hypothetical phantom entity. As these are real entities.Perhaps a "nebulous religious idea about judgement"(as you put it) would be more factual?
Tell me something,What would be your "Clear" Idea, religious or not concerning judgment and how it may effect Romantic_Rebel ? truth now please.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I have had a lot of bad bosses in my life and they would stress me out with a covert or not so covert threat of being fired if my actions were not in sufficient compliance with his wishes. I have had an ex-wife and former girl friends who were bad and did the same sort of thing, manipulating me with stress over what may not be such a stable relationship if I did not behave the way they wanted or thought would make them happy. Recently I had to kick out a room mate who decided he could sit in judgment on how I lived my life.
Finding myself now with no job or bosses, no girlfriend, and no room mate, I realized I had developed a state of fear that I had adopted I guess as a defense mechanism, which now all of a sudden became apparent was really a weight dragging me down and preventing a freedom of thought that would be more appropriate under the circumstances.
I had to force myself to block out the thought of something or someone outside of myself that would affect what I do, mainly by dwelling on useless thoughts of a negative nature and that I need to make clear decisions based on my own desire or my belief in what was right.
I thought I would share this with the O.P. and I wish I could have found a more peaceful place inside myself earlier, but at least I realize now that it really never did any good that I allowed myself to be stressed out when I thought it was actually helping me.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by jmdewey60]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
People do not make a belief true or false , the teachings do and evidences do.

There would be no "belief" without people. Truth is not found in words, rather words are found in truth once the word is fulfilled.

"If you're gunna talk the talk, you better walk the walk".

Jesus, the name, means "Self existent salvation"....it is IN THIS NAME...you are saved. An action, not a saying otherwise all we would need to do is change our names to Jesus. The name doesn't save you, the action does. "Those who DO my will"...

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Life is a road - keep walking - look ahead not back.

Reach out for what you need as you walk your road - whether that be friend or professional counseling - or just a wild night skinny dip in the ocean.

Keep walking. The point is to learn from your adventure - - and most important - - make it to the end.

You've still got a long road ahead - - always look for the positive - - tie the negative to a helium balloon and let it float away from you.

new topics

top topics

join