It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity. A Religion of Convenience, or Polytheism?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
ALl you have to do to be Christian is have faith that Jesus Christ is your lord and savior. THat doesn't constitute having any knowledge of the faith and since I was a christian and a CCD teacher (BIble School for youths) then I do know the faith. ( Our Lady of Grace Church Highland, IN 46322 they may have records of my tenure , Anthony Poremba)

Assuming you have to be of a faith to understand it is absurd as I understand it far more than most that are of the faith.

You see I study it, a lot , and what I see is taht new age Christianity has about as much to so with the Bible or what Jesus Christ stood for as milking cows does to cooking hamburgers.

ANd you still do not answer any of my questions as usual , and they are important ones to anyone who wishes to claim "knowledge" of the Christian faith.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by IamBoon]

If you understand it, why did you spend a day trying to claim that you were a pantheist, and then once you realized the futility of reconciling that to Christianity, you switched to being a panentheist? Why do you claim to be an atheist, yet argue points of Christian theology?

If you wish to ask a question, please do. A clear, concise question, not your usual rambling discourse that may or may not be a question, a statement or the jabbering of someone who stumbled across the comparative religions section of Wikipedia and thinks he's found some buried truth.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

You forgot another quote of Jesus:

"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matt. 22:40

Jesus was saying if a person loved God and loved all men they fulfilled "all the law and the prophets."

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

IamBoon:

Have you ever read the teachings of either Clement of Rome or Polycarp? If you have, can you explain why they also teach the same exact doctrine as Peter, John, and Paul as regards to Christianity?

P.S. Clement was the apostle Peter's disciple and Polycarp was John's. Their writings are public record.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Actually that wasn't addressed to you personally. The response I get from Christians the majority of the time was it was too harsh or it was a burden.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

If you understand it, why did you spend a day trying to claim that you were a pantheist, and then once you realized the futility of reconciling that to Christianity, you switched to being a panentheist? Why do you claim to be an atheist, yet argue points of Christian theology?

If you wish to ask a question, please do. A clear, concise question, not your usual rambling discourse that may or may not be a question, a statement or the jabbering of someone who stumbled across the comparative religions section of Wikipedia and thinks he's found some buried truth.

I never claimed I was anything but an Atheist. LMAO! I was saying that the bible supports Panentheism after you went on a tirade.

I argue points because I love Theology and religious thought. I do not ramble , it is called bringing proof of arguments to back statements. ALso called "paragraphs" .

Now the questions after reading the Bible verses I posted previously

. If , being a Christian , you follow the ways of Jesus what is your viewpoint and the viewpoint of the Church on these subjects?

Do you think children should die because of disobedience?
Do you believe in slavery ?
Do you believe in beating those slaves?
Do you believe people committing adultery should be stoned?
Do you believe those who look at another lustfully should have their eyes gouged?

Secondly, How would your answer amend to the Christian and Jewish God being immutable and eternal?

First time was coherent.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by IamBoon

Jesus was saying if a person loved God and loved all men they fulfilled "all the law and the prophets."

I am not arguing that the Bible doesn't contain contradictions. It almost could be classified as a book of contradictions.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Also I would like to point out that those laws that everyone swears were perverted by the Pharisees and Sadducees, were already ridiculous. Jesus and his Apostles were Jews. So they were bound by those laws. and a vast majority of those laws were punishable by death. So when Jesus walked around O.K.ing his apostles to disreguard those laws(I.E. plucking grain on the sabbath), it wasn't the Jewish religious leaders being ridiculous. They were following protocol. It was actually mandated by Moses, which he says he got from G-d. And if you believe Jesus was a regular guy, then he was a regular guy breaking a law that required death as a penalty.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

reply to post by IamBoon

IamBoon:

Have you ever read the teachings of either Clement of Rome or Polycarp? If you have, can you explain why they also teach the same exact doctrine as Peter, John, and Paul as regards to Christianity?

P.S. Clement was the apostle Peter's disciple and Polycarp was John's. Their writings are public record.

Polycarp was a friend of John's and his writings were the teaching of John's. Clement was a bishop in Rome anchored and thrown to sea. I dunno much else , and their interpretations are fine and dandy , I think John wrote mostly about his interpretation of Christ's teachings and the evidence for it as did the other apostles. John's interpretation which is basically love everyone and worship .

POlycarp did not echo their teachings exactly as did Clement. Peter favors the Jewish law (as does Jesus) and all their moral shortcomings. For example , beating slaves (Peter says that all slaves should “be subject to [their] masters with all fear,” to the bad and cruel as well as the “good and gentle.” This is merely an echo of the same slavery commands in the Old Testament. 1 Peter 2:18). John also adheres to the law and its punishments , which includes gays , adulterers, and killing disobedient children. (“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and “...the scripture cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35)

I do not know much beyond that and I have not fully read their teachings in full. This is because the only writings from each are a letter to Corinth (Clement) and Polycarps Letter to the Phillipians. It hardly espouses too much besides the "Love thy neighbor" slant.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Illumin Not I

God was wrong or was mistaken so he sent down god to change it because he was busy doing other things .

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I never claimed I was anything but an Atheist. LMAO! I was saying that the bible supports Panentheism after you went on a tirade.

I argue points because I love Theology and religious thought. I do not ramble , it is called bringing proof of arguments to back statements. ALso called "paragraphs" .

. If , being a Christian , you follow the ways of Jesus what is your viewpoint and the viewpoint of the Church on these subjects?

No. I am not Jewish, and Jewish Law does not apply to me.

Do you believe those who look at another lustfully should have their eyes gouged?

Have you detected a theme here yet? You taught Sunday School and you believed that you were bound to the Jewish Law in Torah and the Talmud? Wow. You're either lying, you belonged to the strangest Christian church I've ever heard of, or you were rightly fired ten minutes after starting.

Seriously, your ignorance about Christianity is appalling for someone who claims to know something of it.

Secondly, How would your answer amend to the Christian and Jewish God being immutable and eternal?

"How would your answer amend to the..." ???

Do you want to retry that in English, please?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I can care less of popular Christian thought as it has little to do with the teachings of the Bible and is based on cherry-picking and interpretation which is also against the faith. I learned this at an early age and I suggest you actually read your "Holy Book" and see for yourself instead of relying on false Doctrine someone told you was true.

You see Jesus is the Jewish god and vice versa.... Jesus and his apostles followed that law (besides the Sabbath debacle) and it was a big part of Jesus's teachings and therefore is a part of Christianity. Jesus is quoted as advocating the possession and beating of slaves , killing disobedient children , and gouging eyes for gazing lustfully.
Are you really following Christ?

“...the scripture (Torah)cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

"Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

Extra references .( Lk. 24:25-27, 44-45, Mt. 5:17-20.,Mt. 22:29-32,Mt. 21:23-27.)

What is interesting is that he is saying "scripture" which means the "Torah" So all that resides in the Torah is just as valid for a Jew as it is a Christian. Unless of course , you reject and cherry-pick Jesus's teachings.

(P.S. It was proper English Let me explains "amend" means to put right.

So how would your answers coincide with the Jewish/Christian God being immutable ?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

reply to post by IamBoon

I am not arguing that the Bible doesn't contain contradictions. It almost could be classified as a book of contradictions.

Depends which Bible.. I will FULLY agree with you that every single modern perversion, err I mean version contains numerous contradictions and omissions. The KJV has zero. And I'm fairly certain Satan loves that fact.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

If the old covenant will never be nullified then how do you reconcile the prophecy by the Lord in Jeremiah 31:31-34????

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

haha!!! Just because you Google searched both Polycarp and Clement doesn't make you a scholar of their epistles to the early churches.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

KJV? King James has plenty of contradictions... SHould I edit this post with proof or do you Believe me?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I knew of Polycarp but Clement I searched... I just gave my viewpoint on them and that is what you asked.... a viewpoint cannot be googled. hahahah! j/k

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Have you detected a theme here yet? You taught Sunday School and you believed that you were bound to the Jewish Law in Torah and the Talmud? Wow. You're either lying, you belonged to the strangest Christian church I've ever heard of, or you were rightly fired ten minutes after starting.

Seriously, your ignorance about Christianity is appalling for someone who claims to know something of it.

"How would your answer amend to the..." ???

Do you want to retry that in English, please?

Oh yeah that last bit about eye gouging , guess what? It was Jesus's idea and nnot even found in the Talmud or Torah. He also has a taste for Islamic law and suggests to cut off your hand as follows.

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

KJV? King James has plenty of contradictions... SHould I edit this post with proof or do you Believe me?

Every single alleged contradiction critics claim is in the Bible can be shown to violate one of the 7 basic laws of Biblical interpretation. But be my guest.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
BTW, you missed this question:

"If the old covenant will never be nullified then how do you reconcile the prophecy by the Lord in Jeremiah 31:31-34????"

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

BTW, you missed this question:

"If the old covenant will never be nullified then how do you reconcile the prophecy by the Lord in Jeremiah 31:31-34????"

I can't. Why are you asking me to reconcile things that I didn't write ?It is a contradiction of the book . I can interpret anything I want to fit any viewpoint I want , it doesn't make it true and what is written is written. The Bible also clearly states that what is written is true and should not be interpreted.

How would you interpret that?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join