It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mosque near ground zero greenlighted

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

This was simply a question to Piekeeper couched in a sarcastic way to pretty much support a statement he made. Nothing to prove here.

Also, I think some sublty and irony was lost on you re: the "hear" statement, as evidenced in how you responded.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Islamic studies professors on the mosque: It's complicated

A rendering of the Islamic cultural center planned for Lower Manhattan.
By Mark Hay

7:59 am Aug. 9, 2010 | Tweet this article
It hasn’t been easy to characterize Muslim reaction to the controversy around a proposed Muslim-led community center at Ground Zero, even for people who make a study of such things.

“[American Muslims] all come from radically different cultures and social backgrounds,” said Peter Awn, dean of the School of Graduate Studies at Columbia University and an expert in the role of Islam in the politics and societies of modern Muslim populations. A Brooklyn resident and former Jesuit priest with strong ties to the local Muslim community, Awn spent three years before and three years after 9/11 conducting a large study to determine the size and character of Islam in the five boroughs.

www.capitalnewyork.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally oosted by crezo
The fact that stonnings in Iran haven't happened for years just goes to show how much the media blows things out of proportion and much people get suckered in when they don't know # about the real events.

updated 8/8/2010 11:18:57 AM ET
Share Print Font: +-OSLO, Norway — The lawyer defending a woman sentenced to death by stoning in Iran said on Sunday that he has applied for asylum in Norway, but hopes Iranian authorities will allow him eventually to return to his practice.

Mohammad Mostafaei told reporters he chose to flee to Norway after obtaining a one-year Norwegian travel visa. He also cited the Nordic country's prominent human rights profile.

The 31-year-old said he fled to Turkey last week after learning Iranian officials intended to arrest him. He flew to Norway Saturday after being detained briefly in Turkey over an undisclosed passport issue.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Well ya, the woman was only sentenced to be stoned to death. I guess you got me on a technicality.
Hanging women is much more humane, don't you think?

[edit on 9-8-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
After reading through almost every page of the thread it seems that there really is no reason the center shouldn't be built. Why not forgo all bounds and just include it with the new building at ground zero when its built. Then it will be centrally located for all to enjoy. We might as well if we want to be tolerant of course. Since the building inst an attack and merely for the benefit of the community there would be no better place in the area to put it. That would show real tolerance then would it not. But then we would see much more backlash then we do now. But I digress, why tear down a perfectly good building when one is already planned to be built.

Opinions or questions on this idea anyone?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkingSleipner

If they had enough money to pay for the real-estate of the fabled "new trade towers," sure, why not?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

Who says they don't ;D anyway I really took a honest hard look at the thread, removing emotion and bias from either sides extreme there truly is not one reason to stop the center from being built. Its shameful that the ACLJ, which is primarily funded by religious groups, mostly christian ones, that they cannot be more tolerant of others. They're the primary opposition for the center.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9de2bf01976f.jpg[/atsimg]
Say cheeeeeeese..............................."I am winking at you!"

I guess that we really do not know what the Muslim worlds attitudes towards the West, and its views and opinions on why the mosque should or should not be built really are. I can't find a poll........ Can anyone else?

And if such a poll does exist, or eventually will be taken in the future, how can we be sure of its accuracy? When women are equal to being like chattel, herded like cattle, and enslaved to their masters, will the numbers give any kind of reasonable indication on these issues?

And so how then can we gage the sentiment among Muslim men? ......when their credibility on the issue of mistreatment of women alone casts a giant shadow over the debate from the beginning.

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again because I didn't get an answer the last time.....When a Muslim in the Middle East goes down to the local square and watches a woman get 99 lashes, does it add inches to his dick?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MY2Commoncentsworth
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9de2bf01976f.jpg[/atsimg]
Say cheeeeeeese..............................."I am winking at you!"

I guess that we really do not know what the Muslim worlds attitudes towards the West, and its views and opinions on why the mosque should or should not be built really are..When a Muslim in the Middle East goes down to the local square and watches a woman get 99 lashes, does it add inches to his dick?

There are over 1 billion Muslims worldwide.

Why don't you go ask one?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well with the help of the modern United States war machine were trying to scloce that billion muslims down by a few.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Adevoc Satanae

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae
There are over 1 billion Muslims worldwide.

Why don't you go ask one?

Oh that's just brilliant Einstein, Is that all you got?.... Not even a.......ya well I agree with you there on their treatment of women?

I've been asking Muslims on this thread and I have yet to get any kind of satisfactory response.

Maybe I should ask a Satanist for his speculation, at least I'd probably get get some kind of an answer.

edited to add....thanks for centering the ..."I am winking at you." away from the photographers butt in your copy. Now I can't tell "what" is winking at "who."

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
had an interesting thought this morning.....

theres alot been said bout not judging a whole religion or judging a few and blamimg a whole group.

i hate using the words i am about to because it does and it doesnt have anything to do with the mosque but here goes:

but it does speak to ideoogies themselves

muslim=republican imam= rush limbaugh,sean hannity,glenn beck

now the hatred for the republicans is well known
the hatred for conservative speakers is well known

foxnews acts exaclty like a mosque or church its sole purpose is to "preach" ideals views or beliefs on to anyone willing to listen-in my opinion pretty much what any church or mosque does

*there is constant hatred for fnc we all kno this*

there is opposition to that very idea by we all know who here.

an entire group the republicans in this case are judged and convicted by the actions of a select few.

im pretty sure that the pro mosque people have never and will never come to the defense of any conservative.

now does that open your eyes? anyone?

this made more sense in my mind i wish i could be more articlulate.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
im pretty sure that the pro mosque people have never and will never come to the defense of any conservative.

Not true. If Fox News wanted to move their headquarters into the buildings that are going up right on the WTC site, and had the appropriate leases or ownership, I would support their right to do it.

I would be disgusted at the symbolism, but I would support their right.

If the Westboro Baptists (who I feel nothing but disgust for) wanted to build a headquarters with church space a block away from the WTC site, I would support their right to do that also (in accord with zoning regulations).

As far as I can tell, the people in this thread arguing pro-mosque are arguing from the basis of protecting the right of the group to build their community center on land they own. I may be unique in this thread in actually wanting this center to be built.

While I'm breaking my promise to myself not to post in this thread again, may I just ask MY2CommonSenseWorth what on earth is up with all the burka photos? If you want to know how this group of Muslims treat women, why not post photos of Daisy Khan, educated professional woman and wife of the imam, who does not cover her face or even her hair? Surely the fact that not all Muslims share all the same beliefs and values has gotten through to you by now?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
"I would be disgusted at the symbolism...."

now you are starting to see part of the problems anti mosque people are having.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The new mosque/community center may have been green lighted, however, evidence of fraud and outright deciet on the part of the Imman and the entire movement is coming to light. I was watching the news this morning and then did a bit of checking. Seems like it is back on hold again, as there is one slight snag to the entire question. It appears that they Imman and Mosque does not own all of the property they stated they did, as it is held by another group at that time frame.
Right now the question is will the group that holds the property sell it, and the fact that there is fraud and deciet now involved will it cause more problems?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

If you're referring to the Con Ed building...

Con Ed Will Not Block the Ground Zero Mosque, Despite Reports

The New York Post reported Sunday that Con Ed’s ownership of 49-51 Park Place could be an obstacle for the Islamic center.

However, Soho Properties, the mosque's developer, signed a long-term lease on the building last year and “has rights to use, alter, demolish or renovate the building,” Con Ed said.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
now you are starting to see part of the problems anti mosque people are having.

This part of the problem I've understood all along, and I support your right to be disgusted.

As I hope you support my right to be disgusted by what I perceive as blatant misinformation campaigns by portions of the blogosphere and even the so-called "legit" media (NYPost, NYDaily News) that I see feeding paranoia and outrage rather than informing.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Who wants to bet that the new mosque will be a prime target for terror, both real and false-flag?

If that's not a good reason to avoid building one, I don't know what it.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

isnt thats what so great about america were all free to think what we want to.

i do support anyone who voices their opinions but i may not agree with them.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Originally posted by americandingbat
While I'm breaking my promise to myself not to post in this thread again, may I just ask MY2CommonSenseWorth what on earth is up with all the burka photos? If you want to know how this group of Muslims treat women, why not post photos of Daisy Khan, educated professional woman and wife of the imam, who does not cover her face or even her hair?

One daisy is not representative of the entire meadow.

Surely the fact that not all Muslims share all the same beliefs and values has gotten through to you by now?

Yes of course. But nobody can even give me a rough idea as to what % of Muslims harbor evil in their hearts for us....And I am sorry, but I am appalled at their treatment of women in general. Go to Iran or a dozen other Muslim countries around the world where women are treated like animals and then tell me that Islam is a good thing, and why I should not be apprehensive of that treatment proliferating in the United States?

edited to add...and freedom of religion should not be used as a shield to advance a barbaric custom.

Respectfully.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

One daisy is not representative of the entire meadow.

Very poetic. But a daisy in one field is probably more representative of that field than a daisy from a field thousands of miles away.

Yes of course. But nobody can even give me a rough idea as to what % of them harbor evil in their hearts for us....And I am sorry, but I am appalled at their treatment of women in general.

What percent of whom? Muslims worldwide? Members of the Taliban? Nation of Islam members? Or members of this mosque? I don't know how I could get you good data on any of them -- the question "do you harbor evil in your heart" is unlikely to lead to an unbiased survey. But if I could somehow see into their hearts and count them, I think there would be differences.

I am appalled at the treatment of women in many branches of Islam. I am also appalled at the treatment of women in some branches of Judaism and Christianity. I am often appalled at the things some people at ATS say about women. I don't see what any of that has to do with whether or not this group has the right to build a mosque/community center.

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join