It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The High Flag Society.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm posting this as I feel there is a conspiracy among some ATS members, or at the very least an unconscious undermining of decent threads.

By the way thanks mods for putting me in the right location.

This is not about me specifically but a general observation, maybe others have noticed too.

The key question: Who do you have to #$@#% to get some flags around here?

I have noticed since returning to ATS in the early part of this year that we had these funky new FLAG CONTRIBUTION LEVEL bars.

Personally I think they stink, but people apparently far wiser than myself disagree.
In any case, Aside from feeling like there is some kind of ATS clique out there deciding what’s best for everyone else I have to ask myself?

I’m not going to name names on this thread, so if the shoe fits wear it if it doesn’t it’s no biggy.

Why it is some threads receive like 50 or 60 posts but have only one or two flags?
It has happened to me, and I have seen it happen to a lot of very thought provoking posts.

These posts are decent enough to get flags to be sure; especially when the replies to posts are compliments to the OP for their thorough research or for bringing an issue to light.

However the posters with the most flags are the ones that have in the past definitely proven themselves as great informers of the public.
While that’s great, I’m just wondering why it is that when they essentially slack off and post something less than astounding they once again get flags out the wazoo.

In addition, threads that post pictures of animals doing animal stuff (whatever that means) receive flags the likes of which not even God has seen.

So I don’t understand what the heck is going on here.
I hate to be the nutty conspiracy theorist, but I can’t help it, I have a mental disorder that precludes me from accepting reality at face value, or so I’m told.

I know that getting flags is like hitting that “niche” where you suddenly just get it.
Like the janitor who discovers an idea for glow in the dark toilet tissue, these peoples ATS success sky rockets to Niburu or wherever.

Once there it seems they can’t be taken down from that position even when posting non flattering material by some standards.

At any rate once your part of the HIGH FLAG SOCIETY you’re the schiznick,
I mean its wine women and song baby, or men if you’re a lady.
Supermodels, penthouse parties and late night clubbing at the most exclusive locations, perhaps even your own private jet.

All I’m asking for is a little love ATS for myself and for others. Or maybe I’m a little jealous, but I still think there’s a club out there and I’m one of those guys who want a fur coat and some happening shades too.

When I first came to this site in mid 08 I thought it was just another post random BS forum and boy was I wrong. Consequently a few of my first posts were quite stupid, and looking back I wish I could remove them for their sloppiness.

Since then when posting I really make an effort to be “smart” about it. I try to make sure I put together something that is easy to read and interesting in all the right places. I’m no Philosopher, Scholar, or any number of other exquisite ATS titles. But I do fancy myself a fighter and a thinker. I know that doesn’t mean that I’m right but come on.

There have been so many great threads go the way of the Dodo on this site while at the same time other threads like …….. “I slept with an alien last night, ask me how it was.”……. Get the kind of attention you would expect from people who watch to much Lindsey Lohan.

Unlike some people on this site I don’t think anyone here is stupid. Maybe misinformed or not as well versed in areas as others but everyone is here because they are curious and that’s the first step in discovery. I know I have learned a lot myself by coming here and I learn something new everyday. Thanks for that by the way.

Something seems a bit off to me that’s all.
I’m just saying.
Flag it if you like it.

This ATS RANT was brought to you by. Snowen20. In association with. General Conspiracies. and .. Below Top Secret's, RANT.. Welcome to the other side of crazy.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by snowen20]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Look I tottally understand this need for flag love, but it's just so that you can write something that stands out.

I found out, that writing flag worthy posts, is very difficult too. I even had threads with 3 opening posts, that berelly got 1 flag and 1 response. People don't want something very intelligible. They want something that rox ....

I guess were not flag worthy

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by KpxMarMoTT

Guess not, but if that's the case whats next?
Atomic wedgies at my ATS locker? Swirlies in the ATS restroom?

Okay well I guess that may be the case, so I'll just post like I did in the beginning, Random BS.

I don't really care so much about my own flags . LOL

I just hate seeing good threads go to waste.
If I'm understanding the proper use of flagging correctly, Isn't it for alerting others to a thread you find insightful or interesting?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20

Flag it if you like it.

I haz flagged everything you got to get you to 51 and get some blue in your bar ...

Hope that helps.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Oh GOD *sniffles* I would Kiss you but that might be compromising.

No seriously I appreciate, I really do.

I hope though that those who read this understand it isn't about me.
My real grievance is with the interesting threads that are lost to lack of attention.

Whether they be mine or someone Else's.
In any case, now that you put the blush back in my cheeks I better get busy and pay it forward.
My tendency is to flag any thread that appears someone has worked diligently on. After all not everyone is as gifted in the ways of data analysis and presenting of 30 post dissertations with all links and source material. But you can usually tell when some one has at least tried.

Anyway, I'm off to flag some threads!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
i hear you and i understand you...

in respect to that . ill like to provide you with two fine example of you rant

check the topics and the number of flags i got in each and then tell me which topic in your opinion deserves the most flags .

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I have to say I totally agree with you. Additionally, since this is a conspiracy webite, I suspect that there are members here who probably have about 3 or more profiles! LOL
I've come to this conclusions by a few distinctionary traits: writing style and responses. I don't know a whole lot about everything, but I do know you are right about this whole star and flag thing.

So, I give you a star and flag

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by snowen20

Flag it if you like it.

I haz flagged everything you got to get you to 51 and get some blue in your bar ...

Hope that helps.

so because this member whined about not having a bunch of flags you go and flag him just so he has more and feels better? THIS is why I don't like the flagging system. Shouldn't you be flagging for content?

OP do you really need validation with flags? It should be about the content of the thread not the amount of flags the thread has or how big the flag bar is on the OPs profile.

To me all this complaining about not getting flags and stars by adults on this forum as of late sounds like little kids complaining about not getting a gold star for doing their homework. You should feel good just by sharing your information...Personally I could careless about flags and stars, they mean nothing to me. I don't judge anyone member based on their profile stats, I go by their post content.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Hope that helps.

so because this member whined about not having a bunch of flags you go and flag him just so he has more and feels better?

If such a small thing gives someone a smile for a second it is imho worth doing.

THIS is why I don't like the flagging system. Shouldn't you be flagging for content?

How about you flag what you wish to flag and not concern yourself with whom I choose to flag?

To me all this complaining about not getting flags and stars by adults on this forum as of late sounds like little kids complaining about not getting a gold star for doing their homework.

Being vexed at something as insignificant equally so.

Personally I could careless about flags and stars, they mean nothing to me.

Seems otherwise.

I don't judge anyone member based on their profile stats, I go by their post content.

Good for you.

[edit on 11 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
its just flags man get over it,your better of spending your time doing something productive then thinking how to get flags and ranting to the famous members.
yea i hate them too,theyr like the stars,they dont contribute much and they get replyes and flags like crazy,but in the end of the day you can just go out with a girl and theyr too busy writing stuff

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
its just flags man get over it,your better of spending your time doing something productive then thinking how to get flags and ranting to the famous members.
yea i hate them too,theyr like the stars,they dont contribute much and they get replyes and flags like crazy,but in the end of the day you can just go out with a girl and theyr too busy writing stuff

You are just too much.

Keep it up

new topics

top topics

join