It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Rubbery Fuel to Power SpaceShipOne

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
SpaceShipOne is set to be the first non-governmental vechical to reach space. The launch date for this spacecraft is set for June 21. SpaceShipOne uses the state of the art technology to launch the vechical into space. The hybrid rocket propulsion system uses a combination of rubber and nitrous oxide to power the rocket. The rubber is used as a fuel with nitrous oxide as an oxidizer to make liquid oxide. This rubbery propellant comes together in a combustion chamber where the liquid oxide is converted into gas which then is ignited to start the engine. The use of this liquid oxide is a somewhat cleaner way to reach space since its byproducts are water vapor, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and nitrogen.

CNN.com

The fuel in SpaceShipOne's tank is about as exotic as the spacecraft's design. SpaceShipOne, set to be the first non-governmental crewed vehicle to reach space, uses a combination of rubber and nitrous oxide -- also known as laughing gas -- as the powerhouse for test flights and an anticipated suborbital spaceshot set for June 21.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is great as it will mean that there is now a cleaner way to reach space. This is also good because SpaceShipOne will pave the road the commercial travel and exploration of space. Manned missions to the moon, Mars, and beyond is now one step closer.

[edit on 18-6-2004 by cloudx]

[edit on 6-18-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 18-6-2004 by Banshee]

d1k

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
If we dont die by some cosmic rock or ice ball in the next couple days
the 21st of this month will go down in history. I hope its on live TV, i cannot wait to watch it if it is.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Its good to see that other groups that aren't connected directly to the government are getting involved with space travel. I don't think it would be very good if the US government were to hold the monopoly on space travel and this shows they won't.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The craft was designed by Burt Rutan. CNN was reportedly going to cover the launch, but no response. MSN is doing a live web feed, too...

www.space.com...

Going to this site will provide some cool pictures of the craft as well as other information... but be warned... pop-ups lurk for Phoenix College and Bush.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
i cant wait till the lift off, i just hope nothing goes wrong, i dont want to see what happened to NASA's shuttle, to happen to spaceship one

JAK

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Hi, just thought I'd say, if you're planning to watch this then it requires Win Media Player 9, so if you haven't got it already go here msnbc.msn.com... and clicking on the " live streaming-video coverage. " link should take you to the option to D/L it.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
So you are saying this thing runs on FLUBBER, like in the Robin Wiliams Movie? Too good, too good.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This may not be the place to mention it, but I am rather suprised that Spaceshipone didn't have a technical malfunction, and that it came back at all.

I mean, the US doesn't like the fact that India and China are now in space... can you imagine their thoughts on civilians being able to do the same?

AND, here's the kicker... Burt got his craft into orbit with how much money, compared to the government's bill for every launch?

But, I guess there needs to be a second orbital flight, so there's still room for something to happen.

top topics

join