It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researcher detained at U.S. border, questioned about Wikileaks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Researcher detained at U.S. border, questioned about Wikileaks

news.cnet.com

LAS VEGAS -- A security researcher involved with the Wikileaks Web site was detained by U.S. agents at the border for three hours and questioned about the controversial whistleblower project as he entered the country on Thursday to attend a hacker conference, sources said on Saturday.

He was also approached by two FBI agents at the Defcon conference after his presentation on Saturday afternoon about the Tor Project.

Jacob Appelbaum, a Seattle-based programmer for the online privacy protection project called Tor, arrived at the Newark, New Jersey, airport from Holland flight Thursday mo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I'm sure this guy was selected randomly for a search. YEAH RIGHT!!! This guy should be honored as a hero for his work with WikiLeaks and the Tor project.

I would love to have a transcript of how the questioning went.

This is ridiculous, his laptop was taken for three hours before it was given back to him, and his three cell phones were never returned to him. It is completely disgusting what the U.S. government can get away with in the name of "safety" and "the war on terror"

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm sorry i might be alone on this but if i was a hacker I'd treasure my anonymity not put myself in a building full of other hackers at some hackers conference. you might as well put a sign round your neck that says survial me! that's like having a rapist conference or a burglary conference. would you?

[edit on 1-8-2010 by danielhanson420]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by danielhanson420
I'm sorry i might be alone on this but if i was a hacker I'd treasure my anonymity not put myself in a building full of other hackers at some hackers conference. you might as well put a sign round your neck that says survival me! that's like having a rapist conference or a burglary conference. would you?

The benefits greatly outweigh the risks. This is especially true when one is doing security research that is lawful and in the interest of protecting people.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

but protecting people isnt always lawfull. and neither is hacking i think the point im trying to get to is just because your doing good dosnt mean they wont watch you or haul your arse away.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This story has broken into all the news. In the Vancounver Sun the Wikileaks documents are being encouraged to be seen by all Canadians and for them to start to search for truth online. We had a good article written about it. The US/UK will be harrassing them nonstop I believe.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The war should be all but won by now when one examines the level of intelligence (what an oxymoron that...) the official side displays most often.
It is a deep double game this wikileaks story im sure, but these LEOs act the total bumbling idiot.
I am amazed the caliber of socially inept and totally inflexible people make it to detective grade.
Subtle they most certainly are not!
I remain unshocked at the special reception however, and think it would be wise if all those with anything to do with the website(Wikileaks)had arranged for legal representation prior to even driving a car, never mind international travel.
The heat will be on forever now...or is it all a big disinfo scam?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

There is safety in numbers. People who take your approach, (and I say this not to criticize you, but to analyze) make it easy to project the appearance of broad public support for the PTB and the "way things are." It is only by standing up and being counted, making a crowd, that other more timid people can see that they are not alone, and that there are enough people involved to make a real change.

While I understand your fears, it is our collective fear that is being used to oppress us. We need people who are willing to stand up, show their numbers so that those who do not like what is going on, but fear reprisal can pluck up their courage and lend their voice.

I suspect the MAJORITY of Americans do not like the direction our country has taken. But the media presents it as if only a fringe minority are in opposition.

This is a very powerful illusion. It is crucial to keeping us apathetic, this illusion of majority support for what is going on in our government. So we do need to be willing to publicly show our opposition if we feel it, and our support for those people who are brave enough to stand on the frontline and take the heat for being the first to speak up.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
This story has broken into all the news. In the Vancounver Sun the Wikileaks documents are being encouraged to be seen by all Canadians and for them to start to search for truth online. We had a good article written about it. The US/UK will be harrassing them nonstop I believe.

I did a brief search and couldn't find it; could you please provide a link to that story? I would be interested in seeing such an encouragement...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Actually, some of the UK media have given them good coverage. Murdoch's Times excluded, of course.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I suspect they would have forseen this possibility and had taken everyl precaution and had their back up strategy and support all ready just in case. These guys know their every move is watched, and know how to protect their information and themselves.

Don't forget - Assange has an 'insurance policy' online too!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

hahaha a rapist conference? sounds like a great idea for a tv show oh wait chris hansen already beat us to it. whatever happened to that show anyway? i heard they kept getting sued because pedophiles have rights too i guess. only in america hahaha.. in less civilized countries they might cut your d*** off and throw it in the desert.

top topics

join