It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine Church Hit by Explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Ukraine Church Hit by Explosion

www.bbc.co.uk

Several people have been injured in an explosion at an Orthodox Christian church in southern Ukraine, reports say.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This has just popped up on BBC news, and because I couldn't find it, I thought I'd post it.

I don't know much about Ukraine's history, but I haven't heard many reports about violence there, so this, to me at least, is interesting.

In a church as well, looks like someone is severely opposed to *that denomination of* Christianity...

Hopefully there'll be more coverage on this to come.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

*EDIT because I posted without thinking it through...*

[edit on 28/7/2010 by Ayana]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Meh. Could have been the Roman Catholics for all we know.

Thanks for this post...we have relatives of this religion there. Called my Dad to let him know to check. He already knew because he listens on his shortwave radio. He didn't know anymore information though. Let you know if anything more comes up.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yeah, I didn't think about the denominations there. That's terrible, considering I was an R.E. student... Lmao. Never mind.

Hopefully everyone you know is okay though.

And yeah, keep us posted if you can.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
So far word is that 9 people have been injured and 3 of them in serious condition.

wireupdate.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Oh god, this is gonna be another one of those stories where the injuries just keep building and building, isn't it?

I hope everyone hurt is alright in the end.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Security forces said it also took place during a controversial visit to the country by Russia's Orthodox Patriarch Kirill I, seen by critics as a slight to the country's sovereignty.
BBC news

Well I guess this one is some other Eastern European thing that I have no idea about. - That's quite bad really, I have more idea about what's going on in America thousands of miles away than I do about something just on the other side of Europe. Prob a language thing.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What's happening is that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and the Russian Orthodox Church have been in a little blunder lately... The Russian Orthodox Church wants to take over the Ukrainian one by installing one leader for both instead of the current 1 for each... Because of the influence the church has on the people and politics, it would be seen as a grave attack on Ukrainian sovereignty...

Also to be noted is that Crimea (not where this happened) is an independent/autonomous region of Ukraine which sympathizes with Russia. There are many Russian people living and/or vacationing there. The Russian Black sea fleet is based there also...

This causes a little problem once in a while...

Magnum

P.S. My source? My wife is Ukrainian and from Crimea...

top topics

join