It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked War Files Expose Identities of Afghan Informants

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

I hear what you are saying, but we could go back to the Apache video leak where conjecture was that it would increase risk to the coalition, but it didn't. If we had front line journalism, we might have had a lot of this information sooner. This is where the real travesty is.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This story makes me think Mr. Julian Assange has been manipulated or straight up jumped fence. Something just isn't right about it. Has WikiLeaks had any statement on this?

I also think this gives the US even more reason to be over there, because NOW they have to defend the Afghanis that are being hunted by the Taliban. No, I'm not saying I think it is a legit reason, but I can see it being said by the government and the MSM.

It just smells fishy to me. The big bad government is now getting sympathy because some outsider exposed their corruption? And look how the MSM is jumping on this. Just ain't right.

When CNN and FoxNews are talking about it, you should try to read between the lines to look for the truth.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
All the SOB's that think this guy is their hero should have a hard look at the consequences of this ass clown's actions.

It's not right that civilians are killed and call it what you want, but the reports released will never tell you of the reprimands and dismissals of soldiers for their actions. Some have even gone to trial, but that is conveniently forgotten by the hate America crowd within ATS.

The news will cover up the slaughter of identified people along with their families from these leaks as it doesn't meet their agenda. Some fool within ATS will probably even blame America for having these people killed by the Taliban and Al Qaida.

But the wholesale release of documents is just astounding. Except for just a very few countries, Manning would have just been shot in the head and his family told he died from a suicide. End of story.

I saw Assange on the Today Show and he took no credit on any of his actions except to step on his dick a couple of times trying to make a pointless point. It was actually rather pathetic watching him once he realized he had fu**ed up with the release of named sources.

Assange should be right in the middle of this legal action and charged with capitol crimes from his home country, who has troop in the battle. Possession of stolen property is illegal, passing classified material is illegal, people dying from your negligence is a civil matter and can be a criminal matter. I have no problems charging this guy.

A couple of real heros to look up to.... yeah right...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Well said
. Some people say " I demand to see what's going on inside area 51". I would like a tour also but I don't have the the clearance to do so. Some things are top secret for a reason. Usually when informants names are disclosed they end up dead.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

Don't WE pay for everything done in Area 51 though?

You really don't think we are justified in knowing what is done with our tax money? The 9 billion that gets lost here or there, or the trillion that gets misplaced?

We're covering the bill.

And to the guy you responded to, America is absolutely to blame for any of the deaths that come as a result of these names being released. Who started the unjust war in the first place?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFinalTruth14

If there is criminal activity going on then yes. As far as development of the next generation aircraft and all no. Some things have to be kept secrets. I have no "right" to be privy to top secret info, it is earned through service in the military or a contractor to the military.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFinalTruth14

No something’s no matter what should not be disclosed to the public. Do you for example want the FBI to disclose all information they have about ongoing investigations into domestic terrorism?. Do you want the CIA to reveal the names of all there informants? Do you want the radio frequencies used by troops disclosed? Do you want the latest to secret weapons technology relieved so the enemy can start work on a countermeasure? Do you want the presidents full scedual when he is on a foreign visit disclosed? Do you need to know any of this information, no, could i continue the list of things you don’t need to know all day, yes.

Face it sometimes secrecy is needed, the government of any state should not compromise the security of their citizens to appease their curiosity.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinalTruth14
This story makes me think Mr. Julian Assange has been manipulated or straight up jumped fence. Something just isn't right about it. Has WikiLeaks had any statement on this?

I also think this gives the US even more reason to be over there, because NOW they have to defend the Afghanis that are being hunted by the Taliban. No, I'm not saying I think it is a legit reason, but I can see it being said by the government and the MSM.

It just smells fishy to me. The big bad government is now getting sympathy because some outsider exposed their corruption? And look how the MSM is jumping on this. Just ain't right.

When CNN and FoxNews are talking about it, you should try to read between the lines to look for the truth.

I called it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yeah, now the goverment can be like - "See! We NEED to keep secrets from you!" And as you can see in this thread it's working.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mordant1

You're living an in alternate reality then. Ever hear of Lewis Libby or Dick Cheney? You really should research the facts before you go spouting off your revisionist history:

source

Official court documents released later, on April 5, 2006, reveal that Libby testified that "he was specifically authorized in advance" of his meeting with New York Times reporter Judith Miller to disclose the "key judgments" of the October 2002 classified National Intelligence Estimate (NIE). According to Libby's testimony, "the Vice President later advised him that the President had authorized defendant to disclose the relevant portions of the NIE (to Judith Miller)."

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I just went through the csv file, they do name names in a handful of instances.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

No documented evidence they said anything the investigators knew in advance who said it but went on a witchhunt to stir things up. Libbey was not charged with anything but having a difference of opinion, not with saying the offending description. In any respect plame wsant eligible, not covert for over 5 yrs.
Sorry you know not what you speak you simply echo what others sayIf it was as you say why no convictions other than some small tangential one?
Guess it all was ok to toast one small fry?

[edit on 28-7-2010 by mordant1]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

This seems like something out of a horror movie
Who in their right mind would release documents that identify informers ?
Or was this intentional to help murder people who have helped the US in Afghanistan?
This is a conspiracy site and many people believe that anything that the US does is evil and wrong. I believe that releasing this information will result in many people being murdered over the coming year(s).
Who will be held responsible if people are killed?
What was the motivation to release the names of individuals who helped the US?
If a single person is killed because of this information should the founder of WikiLeaks be charged with murder?
I'm curious what the ATS community thinks about this

Hi Bob

My two cents. You ref Fox News, They Ref Times London. Unable to access the entire Times articule without a subscription. Have you read these documents that ID informants , or have a link that would offer the specific documents ? If they are out there for ALL to read, it can do no more alleged harm and would bolster your point of view.
I have only downloaded about 100 and have yet to see what apparently others are claiming.
I understand this fellow has withheld fifteen thousand documents as being to sensitive to release.
If true, he has at least taken some precautions to protect all coalition forces, as well as contractors.
Are you simply taking the Medias word v locating the documents for all to determine if there is any truth to their claims ?
Again I have ONLY read about 100 and I must say it paints a very discouraging picture of what is ACTUALLY going on over there. Especially in relationship to Pakistans role in support of the groups our government oppose.
From what I have actually read, the number of noncombatants that have been killed by us, will make the number of informants lives that may possible be at risk, pale in comparison. If one genuinely has concern for lives lost. I'd suggest we LEAVE !
Just my opinion, but I suspect the more people that ACTUALLY read these documents the more they will come to understand that it is a complete, horrible waste of time money and lives. From my very limited read the Afghanistan citizens want us gone.
I should not assume that you have not taken the time to read some of these documents but If you care to, here is a usable link that includes all the documents with menus and drop down tables.

wardiary....__._/afg/sort/type/air_mission_0.html

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

How would this help one bit in getting us out of Afghanistan?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
the guy from wikileaks said they looked into all the files to take these names out, but they couldnt guarantee that it was safe

thats was from his interview on the day of the release

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I don't want out of Afghanistan until the Taliban and Al Qaeda are utterly destroyed with no hope of startup operations again. Have we forgotten that thousands of Americans died at the hands of these fanatics? Even if there were inside knowledge about 911, they had willing muslim fanatics supporting the attack and still do.

Assange is obviously an enemy of the US. He probably would laugh if the US were wiped off the map. He'd laugh right until the Chinese own his home country.

We should pull all of our troops out of Iraq and flood Afghanistan with troops to root out all the rats. Then we can return home.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dazbog

Go to wikileaks, download the csv, search for "informant". Most instances, they only list "an informant", but in some cases, they name names.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FrancoUn-American

it could help to futher our peoples opinions that this is a pointless and unwinable war. get the public wanting our troops home wich a large portian already do. a bit like vietnam they'l never telivise a war like that again.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Okay, I searched for all the records that have the word 'informant' in them and have spent some time scanning through the incident descriptions. Names are mentioned, but they are Taliban sympathizers or known Taliban. The reports which contain names relate to weapons caches and the names of householders where said weapons and IEDs are located. Taliban mobile numbers are also listed if you actually want to speak with them. Could be an interesting ATS News interview!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Kevin, with respect you are taking this out of proportion. You can't liken this leak of low-grade intelligence to say battle plans or tactics used in Afghanistan. The vast majority of the information is a record of incidents. Yes, it details those wounded or killed, but it is probably nothing the Taliban don't already know. We have to remember that the Taliban are a well resourced and respected enemy who have continually got the measure of coalition forces. You can get this straight from the horses mouth, so to speak with the numerous reports from front line troops. Newsnight, most recently, but there have been others.

This is an unwinnable war. The British failed in the 1800s, Russia pulled out in the 80s and we are here again at the turn of 21st Century. We should take lessons in history. When I hear the former head of MI5 give evidence at the Chilcot Inquiry, which suggested that the Blair and Bush war machine weren't interested in proper intelligence, then I am all for this kind of information release in the name of the hundreds of thousands of dead soldiers and civilians to see exactly why my country is waging war and what we have been doing for nearly ten years in my name, your name and every other UK national.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

I agree with you, out of context that comment may appear to be out of proportion, but when you look at the comment i was responding to then no its not out of proportion. All I was doing was demonstrating that there is some information that should not be in the public domain, informants identifies included.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join