It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked War Files Expose Identities of Afghan Informants

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Leaked War Files Expose Identities of Afghan Informants

www.foxnews.com

Hundreds of Afghan lives have been put at risk by the leaking of 90,000 intelligence documents to WikiLeaks because the files identify informants working with NATO forces.

In just two hours of searching the WikiLeaks archive, The Times of London found the names of dozens of Afghans credited with providing detailed intelligence to U.S. forces. Their villages are given for identification and also, in many cases, their fathers' names.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This seems like something out of a horror movie.

Who in their right mind would release documents that identify informers ?

Or was this intentional to help murder people who have helped the US in Afghanistan?

This is a conspiracy site and many people believe that anything that the US does is evil and wrong. I believe that releasing this information will result in many people being murdered over the coming year(s).

Who will be held responsible if people are killed?

What was the motivation to release the names of individuals who helped the US?

If a single person is killed because of this information should the founder of WikiLeaks be charged with murder?

I'm curious what the ATS community thinks about this.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
the way i see it is if it gets us out of afganistan its worth it we shouldnt be there at all. im sure theres about to be alot more info coming out soon and i cant wait. america is an evil country and needs to be stoped. and by that i dont mean the good people of the U.S. come on wikileaks do us proud.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Indeed a very serious mistake in my view. I understood from some news that the names were removed and documents reviewed to black out names.

I believe the authenticity is not in jeopardy when doing so and many lives are perhaps in danger because of this. I would think a part of the informers are idealists that truly believe they are doing good helping the "liberators".

Also there is the danger that names have been changed to target people through that.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Yeah. Afghanistan is mad. I thought of posting this separately but just included it in my thread this morning on Afghanistan's general ire at the information in the leaks.

They're covering this in the 'big leaks thread' too, if you're interested.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Why were the names of informants included in these documents in the first place, knowing they had the potential of being leaked or compromised?

Usually informants are given code names to protect their identity. Just another mistake in a war full of 'em.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
i feel sorry for those people they will prolly end up dead or their families will

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

that's a very good point why weren't they given a code name or some form of cover. i find that quite unprofessional on the coalitions part after all there was always the chance informants names could be leaked by rouge afghan army? I'm just hoping this whole leak situation is the match that ignites our withdrawal. there could always be a chance that our governments wanted this leak out in the first place as a way of leaving with out finishing the job.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

So you want anyone who helped the US in Afghanistan to be killed?

That doesn't make any sense.

At a minimum, you should be wanting the names removed from the documents.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You know, this is a little too convienient.

The government wants to stop such leaks that exposes their mistakes and the like to put regulations on what we see on the net and how we gather information.

Suddenly wikileaks, after releasing collateral murder, releases something thats out of the ordinary for it. Some members were already speculating that it is out of character for wikileaks to have something that seems not so extraordinary or doesn't expose lies told and even that the government is behind it.

Could this be true? We are now about to witness the horrors of what will happen if the people knew everything the government was doing! This will cause people to shun wikileaks and ask for the government to do whatever to keep its secrets. This would also explain why the MSM is jumping to cover this materal (to regain their 'we are real journalists!' appearance) while they hesitated to cover the collateral murder video.

Not to mention that they probably used the hacker they had on their side (snitch hacker adrian lamo) after capturing him to try to legitimize the story. Remember chat logs can be faked. That so they have a reason to imprison the person that leaked the collateral murder video with support of the populous.

This whole thing could be a setup!

//edit to add

That would be why they were given no codename.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by EminenceofAeon]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think that no code names were assigned because these were notes made by soldiers after they interviewed local villagers.

These interviews with village elders have been leaked along with other information.

I think that there was a serious error in judgment by the wikileaks founder and wonder if it is criminal.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
reply to post by danielhanson420

So you want anyone who helped the US in Afghanistan to be killed?

That doesn't make any sense.

At a minimum, you should be wanting the names removed from the documents.

They sided with the occupier against their brothers & sister countrymen, not a good idea.

Would you give Chinese troops occupying US soil info that might result in US citizens being killed?.. if so you'd be a rat... nobody would feel sorry for you except maybe for some chinamen on a website.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Good point. Imagine that soldiers have invaded your country. They come to your house and ask a few questions.

You answer questions but don't provide any information that could be used against resistance fighters.

The resistance fighters for the most part cannot read. They hear that you talked with the occupation forces.

Would you want to have to explain yourself to them? Especially
if they behave like the Taliban?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I imagine that the Valerie Plame crowd will now go berserk,,,,
NOT!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

reply to post by GovtFlu

Good point. Imagine that soldiers have invaded your country. They come to your house and ask a few questions.

You answer questions but don't provide any information that could be used against resistance fighters.

The resistance fighters for the most part cannot read. They hear that you talked with the occupation forces.

Would you want to have to explain yourself to them? Especially
if they behave like the Taliban?

I wouldn't talk to occupiers, I'd either be hiding trying to kill them, or more likely 1000s of miles away sipping a cold one on a safe tropical island nude beach. I'm outta here come poofan time, lots of great places on this earth to live..

But if I was killed, so be it.. lie with dogs, get fleas... talk to occupiers, get dead... maybe some poor schmo would learn a lesson from my death and save himself / family from my fate.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

Have fun when your tropical island gets taken over and the locals view you as an invader.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

reply to post by GovtFlu

Have fun when your tropical island gets taken over and the locals view you as an invader.

You can always tell an american fool that thinks that he'll be welcomed with open arms in foriegn lands even when his parents money no longer buys anything anymore. Everyone is a tribalist when the chips are down and every foregner is just someone to be killed and eaten, literally or figuratively

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Thats exactly the line of thought we should have entertained BEFORE going on our world wide nation-building adventures.....how would WE feel it WE were the ones on the other side of the barrell...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is 100% the fault of the U.S. Government, not Wikileaks.

We pay over $650 billion to the U.S. Defense Department every year to fight this war, and these fools can't even keep their intelligence files secured?

The only reason we know about this is because of Wikileaks. IMAGINE how many other files have "leaked" in SECRET to our enemies.

The kid who leaked this info did it FOR FREE, can you imagine how many employees of the U.S. Intelligence community are leaking information to Russia/China/Iran/etc., for big $$$?

The crime here is the US taxpayers getting ripped off by paying for a "state-of-the-art" military when all they get in return is a National Security apparatus with more holes in it than Swiss cheese.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mordant1
I imagine that the Valerie Plame crowd will now go berserk,,,,
NOT!

Apples & Oranges kiddo.

Valerie Plame's cover was leaked by a top White House official in the Bush Administration.

This latest leak was performed by an Intelligence analyst inside the U.S. Military on general moral principle.

HUGE DIFFERENCE.

The Plame affair was a violation of National Security performed by the top of the Executive Branch as a political threat against people who challenged the Bush Administration.

The Wikileaks affair exposes the complete ineptitude of the U.S. Intelligence apparatus, and hence how the U.S. taxpayer is getting ripped off.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by harrytuttle]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join