It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Deep Space Camera Locates Host of 'Earths'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

NASA's Deep Space Camera Locates Host of 'Earths'

www.foxnews.com

Scientists celebrated Sunday after finding more than 700 suspected new planets -- including up to 140 similar in size to Earth -- in just six weeks of using a powerful new space observatory.

Early results from NASA’s Kepler Mission, a small satellite observing deep space, suggested planets like Earth were far more common than previously thought.

Past discoveries suggested most planets outside our solar system were gas giants such as Jupiter and Saturn -- but the new evidence tipped the balance in favor of solid worlds.

Astronomers said the discovery meant the chances of eventually f
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This still doesn't mean any aliens but it's truly amazing to think that this many things were found in just 6 weeks. And that's just what they're telling us about.

I once heard a projection that by 2025, our knowledge of the universe will almost double every week. I never thought that was plausible but this article seems to suggest that humanity is on the way there.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Nice find. Last I read, there were about 520 Exoplanets. Kinda makes you wonder sometimes... If only 1% of known Exoplanets can sustain life, that's still 7. Hmmmmmm

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaTime
Nice find. Last I read, there were about 520 Exoplanets. Kinda makes you wonder sometimes... If only 1% of known Exoplanets can sustain life, that's still 7. Hmmmmmm

And that's better than vegas odd's. I wonder if there could be life on other planets? This should hopefully intice more research, even though i still think we havent explored enough of our own planet. i.e. our deepest oceans.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roadie

And that's better than vegas odd's. I wonder if there could be life on other planets? This should hopefully intice more research, even though i still think we havent explored enough of our own planet. i.e. our deepest oceans.

Sure enough. There is still so much we don't know about our own planet and species yet to be discovered. Even if 1 of the 700 planets has the capacity to sustain life, it would be an intriguing find.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Sure these planets can sustain life, but that doesn't mean life has ever existed on the planet. Even if life has existed on any of these given planets, it doesn't mean that life exists there today, at this particular time. In particular intelligent life would be hard to find. Humans have only been around 200,000 years out of 4.6 billion years of Earth's existence. Although these planets may support life, there is no guarantee that life exists, and an even less chance of intelligent life existing.

But still, these findings are incredible in that they show just how much more there is to learn about the universe, and perhaps one day those findings can render my entire paragraph above useless.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Congratulations. You proved equal distribution.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Very Very cool! I have always said one would have to be ignorant to think it impossible to have another earthlike planet, the likelihood is much greater that there ARE other earthlike planets.

Love what NASA is doing these days, so much information!

So if there are 140+ other earthlike planets, are they going to continue to say earth and the moon were formed under the big bang theory? Two planets alike, maybe, but more than 100?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Nice find. S/F.

You may find this link of use or The Kepler Mission Home Page.

I note that you said

Sure these planets can sustain life

Was that based on some information you have because I would be very interested to see that. It seems the site only goes up to a few planets unless I missed something.

Edit: There is a Facebook Page as well.

[edit on 25/7/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

true true

buts its nice to speculate that at least one civilization evolved so much that they now are like gods and may have influenced even our birth on earth

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Wow this was my favorite line

Astronomers said the discovery meant the chances of eventually finding truly Earth-like planets capable of sustaining life rose sharply.

I think today we have reached a very critical point in the history of our known civilization.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

By the law of equal distribution, there is a 50 50 chance of finding an Earth in every solar system. We just don't have the observational facts to back the math. But mathematically it is sound. And as more and more articles show, it's very likely. Just remember. Aliens are just as fragile as us. You never know if they are at their height, about to fall, or extinct all ready. Personally I favor the Mass Effect design of the Galaxy.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roadie

Sure enough. There is still so much we don't know about our own planet and species yet to be discovered. Even if 1 of the 700 planets has the capacity to sustain life, it would be an intriguing find.

If you think those odds are good I think you missed a good part of the article.

“The figures suggest our galaxy, the Milky Way [which has more than 100 billion stars] will contain 100 million habitable planets, and soon we will be identifying the first of them,”

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is amazing!!!!!!

EVOLUTION!!!!!!!!

STAR AND FLAG!!!!!!

You guys need to post this in the Aliens and Ufo's forum,
Everyone is going to be happy as hell!!!!!!

Think of all the new information we could have!!!!

What we are witnessing here is the dawn of a New Age

[edit on 25-7-2010 by SupremeKnowledge]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Something to ponder. I have always been fascinated by all of the conspiracies surrounding aliens, UFO's and our government - as most of the ATS family is too! Upon reading this article about NASA and all the new planets they are discovering and all the money they are putting into these discoveries, does anyone else begin to doubt these theories of aliens and the theories that NASA and our government have been covering up Alien existence for many years.

I mean...if this superior and much more advanced alien race have been in contact for years with our government and NASA shouldn't we expect that the aliens have informed them about the universe and everything that's out there. If these aliens are coming from far off planets with much more superior technologic advancements then wouldn't one believe that the aliens could just tell top NASA and government officials what all is out in space or more importantly show them?

Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that if Aliens have been in contact for so many years with Government and NASA then why would we spend billions of dollars making spacecraft to take pictures of far off planets when these Alien friends of ours could show us pictures or even take us there. Seems strange. Curious to know your thoughts friends.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by RockCreekMan

I agree 100% with you. I have never thought that the Apollo missions or any other Nasa project was a hoax, they obviously struggle to gain knowledge and make sense of our universe. Why? Why would nasa fake missions and give fake knowledge? I see nothing to gain by it.

These are exciting times we are living in guys, science and discovery are moving at speeds never heard of. One large telescope and look what we can see and know now! The new SDO is beaming back incredible sun images, and new information.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
YAY DOUBLE POST

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Xcouncil=wisdom]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
FIRST Question
Who is oldest?

Us or Them?

Did they colonize us?
Will we colonize them?

As a society we can contemplate the word trillions, it relates to our budgets.

Our universe as far as its age is in the numbers we can contemplate in the billions of years old, so is our special galaxy/solar system.

These other planets and their systems...including the time/light speed it takes to see them, how old are they now...and are we older? Or are they?

I'm pretty sure that's pretty important.
I also have tendancy to miss the obvious....if its it right there and I missed it, please point it out.
Thanks
X

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RockCreekMan
Something to ponder. I have always been fascinated by all of the conspiracies surrounding aliens, UFO's and our government - as most of the ATS family is too! Upon reading this article about NASA and all the new planets they are discovering and all the money they are putting into these discoveries, does anyone else begin to doubt these theories of aliens and the theories that NASA and our government have been covering up Alien existence for many years.

I mean...if this superior and much more advanced alien race have been in contact for years with our government and NASA shouldn't we expect that the aliens have informed them about the universe and everything that's out there. If these aliens are coming from far off planets with much more superior technologic advancements then wouldn't one believe that the aliens could just tell top NASA and government officials what all is out in space or more importantly show them?

Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that if Aliens have been in contact for so many years with Government and NASA then why would we spend billions of dollars making spacecraft to take pictures of far off planets when these Alien friends of ours could show us pictures or even take us there. Seems strange. Curious to know your thoughts friends.

Well. look at how "we've" done throughout our history. Rape, pillage, plunder,kill,conquer. Yeah sure!! Come on into "my house" new 'friends'. Sorry if I was an alien I wouldn't be inviting "us" into my home or neighborhood either.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Kaiju666]

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Kaiju666]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaiju666

Well said.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join