It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreign Language Dreams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well, I didn't see this in any of the subjects so hopefully it hasn't already been done.

For about a week or so I kept having the same dream. I was being burned at the stake. The location had a distinctly foreign feel to it, and the crowd/angry mob was screaming at me in a language I don't know. But I answered them in the same language. I've only ever taken some German and French in school, so thought that maybe more of that sank in than I'd thought... but it didn't really sound like either one, specifically. I knew what I was saying, but didn't understand the words as they left my own mouth, see what I mean? And the smell was incredible! Just awful, very smokey and to the point of making my nose sting. It seemed I could really feel it, and the panic as they flames were set off was phenomenal. I woke up standing next to the bed yelling something and wish I had a tape recorder because I've wondered ever since if I was yelling in english or in whatever that language was in the dream. Very odd.

I've never travelled overseas or anything like that, so it can't be a memory driven thing. I don't speak any other languages fluently, so I don't know what that was about. And in the dream, I didn't even look like me! *L* That's never happened before, it's always been me in some form.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Thats 1 wierd dream but kinda cool in a way i only dream in English but it would be cool to dream in a different language

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
you are being secretly persecuted in real life for something that you think you have not done.

possibly in a parallel life you were this person at the stake. and you were making a temporary astral connection to your parallel self as a forewarning to you that you need to open your eyes and see that some people around you are not revealing their true self to you.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by torque
.... I knew what I was saying, but didn't understand the words as they left my own mouth, see what I mean? ...

I have taken Spanish in school. I can speak it somewhat fluently. I have had the same experience in a dream. My spanish teacher tried to tell me that you couldn't have a dream in Spanish without years of spanish and i was like yeah right. But I had a dream once it was in spanish I knew what some of it meant. Other parts just like you I knew that I was saying and knew what other people were saying but had never heard what they were using before. Like they would use words I don't know but yet in the dream i knew exactly what was going on. Is this similar to your experience? I knew it was spanish and i could pick up some words but like other things I've never heard but yet knew exactly what they were saying. If that makes sense.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Well, I knew what I was saying even though it came out in that language. I couldn't understand the mob at all. I knew by their facial expressions and tone that they were seriously hating me and even afraid (?), but couldn't understand a word. Obviously since they were setting me on fire, they were very unhappy with something I'd said or done! *L*

Weird. Very unsettling. Persecution? Maybe. I do feel under a lot of pressure and like "they're out to get me". Maybe it was stress? Dunno, but it stinks! Wish I could figure out what the language was, if in fact a real language and not some garbeldy gook my brain made up.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by torque
... Wish I could figure out what the language was, if in fact a real language and not some garbeldy gook my brain made up.

If i could hear the language I could probably tell you what it was or is. Written I can tell a language better but I can also tell by hering it. Even if I don't speak the language I can tell at lesat what it sounds like. Language is my thing.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I had a dream almost similar to this. My dream was in an African language. I was on a mountain when two people came up and talked to me. When they spoke, it was in sub-titles so I understood everything they said. "The answer to what you seek, lies on top of a mountain surrounded by fire." Best dream I ever had

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is actually very interesting. First, you are not alone. I have dreams about dreaming in 3 different languages, either in words or in texts. If the dream is to make its intention known to you, you will understand it in the language that you are familiar with. If you are more comfortable in English, you will understand what was spoken to you in English regardless if they were actually speaking to you in another languages. The reason....is because I often dream about people from another culture and race and they were talking to me in English or either I could understand them in English.

For the fact that you actually heard foreign languages spoken to you, this could mean that there are certain meanings that are not apparent to you. You may be required to do a bit more work to understand your current life situation. Like someone mentioned it, you may be or would be accused of something you aren't fully responsible for. And you need to look really hard to see it coming.
edit on 16-2-2012 by ChiForce because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2012 by ChiForce because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This is awesome! I didn't think it was possible until it happened to me the other night.

I had this dream where I was at some convention in a square in front of a very large, fancy building with a huge, metal globe sculpture-thing and a large fountain. So around me was people from all over the world and I could make out German, French, Japanese, Dutch and I think Finnish/Danish but I know my dream made it all up in the sense that they were each talking their respective languages but they were probably only saying words and phrases I had heard through foreign films or maybe real-life conversations between foreign people. Anyway, I could speak all of their languages and I spoke with a few of them for quite some time. It was weird actually, I would think in English but the sounds coming out of my mouth would sound like their language and only with Japanese I had to really focus on my pronunciation because I remembered that bit in Kill Bill where the Japanese dude told what's-her-face that she said "arigatou" exactly like a Japanese person with the rolling 'r' and all. Also, I wasn't me in that dream, I don't know who I was but my dream told me it wasn't me which was also quite strange.

In my case, I know how to differentiate between quite a few languages except, for instance languages that sound to me a lot like each other such as Danish/Finnish and I think Swedish so I know my dream cheated and they weren't really saying anything that made sense.

Another fun dream I had once was almost completely in Japanese but lucky for me, I had sub-titles. I am not kidding you, my dream had sub-titles and my dream forced me to read them before understanding what the person said.

As for OP's dream, really vivid dreams with feeling and such are, in my experience, brought on by a certain state of mind so your mind was probably convinced, at that time, that you were being held responsible or persecuted for something you didn't understand why and if something was up, it wasn't even you.

top topics

join