It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Road" review, you could not last long eating people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
You would develop "hebrephenia" or laughing disease. I just saw this movie and was surprised that there was no mention of this. Hebrephenia is like mad cow's disease for humans. You can't eat your own kind.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Funny, I just watched The Road last week. Pretty terrible post-apocalyptic movie in my opinion. You're right, they didn't mention anything about the side effects of human consumption.

Watch the Book of Eli, much better movie and the cannibals have the shakes from eating to much human meat.

[edit on 7/24/2010 by minute2midnight]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I couldn't make it through that book. Just too boring and too weird. Was very disappointed and won't even bother with the movie.

In the book of Eli, yeah they get the shakes. Does that really happen? I know I'd rather starve and die than eat another person. Hell I can't even eat animals.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I have no idea what would happen, never met a cannibal. (That I know of.)

Part of me thinks it would be just like pork, and probably taste the same too. If it's cooked you're okay, if it's raw you're going to get all kinds of disgusting diseases and parasites.

The other part thinks, it can't be good for you either way. I don't know.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

[edit on 7/25/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Cannibalism spreads disease very quickly.

It also promotes pure psychopathic thoughts.

Some native tribes refer to it as the twisting of spirit into a Wendigo.
en.wikipedia.org...

The history of cannibalism is deep and complex.

But there is one major point that is the same everywhere. Cannibalism is never acceptable, even for food/survival.

Humans can eat bugs and tree bark and live, there is no need to eat another human beings flesh. No matter what.

If you eat the flesh of humans, you will lose your sanity and become psychopathic, guaranteed. Don't become a Wendigo please.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
They were eating humans in the movie 'Soilent Green' also.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nlouise
They were eating humans in the movie 'Soilent Green' also.

Since you brought it up.

I can't resist a good Charlton Heston quote.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Good point, but remember everyone the Road is fiction, so it doesnt have to be accurate about everything.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

I do not have this hyperschizophrenia or whatever you call it.
How long before I get this?
As my butcher bill as of late has been almost nothing.

No really this would not be an issue for me as if i were to have to eat human, that would be a major trigger that let me know i was not human and existence would not matter much at that point.
I would consider cat but I would never consider dog though.
I love my doggies, but i see cats right there with squirrels and other vermin.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
That's really interesting.
Did they say how it is that many tribal people have eaten human flesh for many centuries, yet did not have mad human disease nor were they insane?
Sounds to me more like scare mongering...
Not that I've ever had 'fillet la human"

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
What a silly premise....Properly and thoroughly cooked humans served with vegetables and a light wine would sustain one as long as the meat was fresh or kept refrigerated. Need i point out that augmenting your knowledge base with bad movie plots is the sure short road to disaster.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Saying that eating cooked and properly prepared human animal meat causes psychological disease in humans (and implying that it doesn't it other animals) sounds like a load of BS to me.

What exactly is causing it? I've heard that certain prions can cause certain disease much like how mad cow disease is spread, but this is all from improper handling and (not)cooking, and CJD is hardly linked to mad-cow disease.

Seriously, saying that you'll get some type of disease from eating your own species (be your own species cow, human, goat, lion etc.. etc..) sounds like magic.

Ala-ka-zam you ate your own kind now you have a disease!

.... sure. Okay.

Beyond that, how much of our own body do we metabolize when we are hungry? Why do you think starving people look like bones? It's because they've practically eaten themselves metabolically.

Magic spells know when, and don't work, when we are eating ourselves?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dragon33
That's really interesting.
Did they say how it is that many tribal people have eaten human flesh for many centuries, yet did not have mad human disease nor were they insane?
Sounds to me more like scare mongering...
Not that I've ever had 'fillet la human"

actually i saw i show on nat geo where they went to study the tribe that contracted the laughing disease. they then compared the dna of people who had the disease and those in the tribe that didnt as well as people from around the world. they found out that about 1/2 the people tested has some mutation that actually prevents them from contracting the disease.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Don't be to quick to jump on that idea.
As you may have read in a post earlier this month or so, those of us who eat balanced foods and dislike GMO's and Fluoride have a mental illness.
This is a fact cuz they have studies and showed weird skinny people.

******THIS RESPONSE IS SARCASM PLEASE NO FLAMES AS THEY HURTEZ******

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

When was this video released? April 1st?
I hope so.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
From what I have herd eating your own kind or even a close relative in the gene pool does have some sort of effect on the mind. A guy I knew once said that he ate chimp meat and it gives you a sort of high. But other then that its stories told by people to other people. Eventually a playing telephone effect he said she said thing. Who knows one could always look at what known cannibals say though some of them were way off the medium even before they began cannibalizing as in serial killers. There is no way to test this without really going off the deep end. So other then the chimp eaters which I only find tidbits so who knows, or most likely who wants to know. But one fact remains throwout history there have been tribes, to some civilizations that possibly did practice some sort of cannibalism, and they were not all within normal mind frames and terminated on principal could be one of those don't know don't tell things.

I have herd of the road but that is all is it a book or movie or something of that nature. So who knows why they would say you can get a possible mad cow disease I would have to think that there is something, to the myth of getting a high from cannibalism. Just look at what some of the most deranged peoples in recent history all had in common yep keeping body parts in the fridge and cannibalism.

www.mybadpad.com...

Some like Nikolai Dzhumagaliev and Issei Sagawa even walked free go figure.

Issei Sagawa born 1949

Sagawa was found legally insane and deported back to Japan, where he was put in a mental institution. However, as a result of mishandled paperwork, Sagawa was able to check himself out of the mental institution after 15 months and has been a free man ever since.

Nikolai Dzhumagaliev born 1952

In 2007, he was found guilty of seven murders but is believed to be responsible for 50-100 deaths. He has since been released from a mental institution and is a free man living in Eastern Europe.

So this book/movie is propaganda or more like subliminal messaging to stay away from cannibalism. I will have to read it since all I have heard of it is mostly second hand. There are some sick people out there, some things are not good to delve to deep into. But still one must be aware of tidbits to know on why one should stay away.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I understand that eating bone marrow and brain tissue can result in some form of insanity.
Just like with BSE or mad cow disease. Specific forms of disease causing critters get transmitted this way.

I think that this is also the reason you should not eat or drink blood or blood product. Which comes for a part from processes in the bone marrow.

Maybe these are also the cause of all kinds of luxury diseases from to much of red meat.
I don't know.

What I do know is that you can perfectly safe eat a slice of man's breast given it is well cooked and you do not chew any bones.

The reason that was given for the mad cows disease was that the cows got power food, containing the pulverized bones and thus bone marrow from other cows.

Their are lots of species that are cannibalistic. So I assume any intolerance to whatever is always genetic.

Compare it with the inability to drink cows milk in people who do not share a northern European origin.

As far as not eating human remains... I think it is a no go area, but a situation like the Argentinian plane crash high up in the Andes, I would not hold it against them.

The infectious agent in BSE is believed to be a specific type of misfolded protein called a prion. Those prion proteins carry the disease between individuals and cause deterioration of the brain. BSE is a type of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE).[12] TSEs can arise in animals that carry an allele which causes previously normal protein molecules to contort by themselves from an alpha helical arrangement to a beta pleated sheet, which is the disease-causing shape for the particular protein. Transmission can occur when healthy animals come in contact with tainted tissues from others with the disease. In the brain these proteins cause native cellular prion protein to deform into the infectious state, which then goes on to deform further prion protein in an exponential cascade. This results in protein aggregates, which then form dense plaque fibers, leading to the microscopic appearance of "holes" in the brain, degeneration of physical and mental abilities, and ultimately death.

A British inquiry into BSE concluded that the epidemic was caused by cattle, who are normally herbivores, being fed the remains of other cattle in the form of meat and bone meal (MBM), which caused the infectious agent to spread

Source

Cannibalism can look odd by human standards, but in fact it's widespread in the animal kingdom, and also amongst many human populations in the past, and survived till the XX th century in some areas of Central Africa, South America, New Guinea and Vanuatu.

''It was quite a common practice in many human societies in the past," said Rudolf.

There are diseases transmitted solely or mostly through cannibalism, like Kuru (see below), a deadly degenerative brain ailment in New Guinea, provoked by a prion like in the case of the mad cow disease, and is triggered only by the consume of human flesh.

Source

For the really interested.

"Laughing death," locally called kuru, was a progressive, fatal brain malady that robbed its victims of the ability to walk, talk, and even eat.

Both diseases caused trembling, uncoordination and certain death. Like scrapie, kuru produced a Swiss-cheesing of the brain.

Why? Because village rites honored close relatives -- even kuru victims -- by eating them -- after death. This novel understanding of the phrase "family dinner" transmitted the kuru infection either while the bodies were handled or when the relative's remains were eaten.

Prevention worked in New Guinea. The epidemic has tapered off, and no child born since cannibalism ceased has caught kuru. In 1976, Gajdusek shared the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine for the work.

Source

So far for the science. All your questions should be answered right now.

Glad I could help Have a nice day.

~ Sinter.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I heard that chinese army fed prisoners nothing but meat and they died a painful death. Meat doesnt digest well, it rots in intestines, without roughage. We are born frugivores. Like monkeys.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Hey, That was great! The first time I saw it was when I was 8 and it had just been released. The folks went to the drive in, and my brothers and I were supposed to be asleep in the back. I watched the whole movie.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join