It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Residents Run For Their Lives to Escape Raging Floods From Massive Break in Iowa Dam.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
reply to post by ThirdJohnAdams

errr no it was because the dam could not contain the high amount of rainfall that had been pouring into it in such a small amount of time. Nothing to do with the infrastructure. The infrastructure was not designed for that amount of water. The problem with the infrastructure is that if these weather events become more frequent then the infrastructure will continue to fail as its tolerances are breached. The infrastructure is still good as long as the conditions do not surpass its tolerances it was built for.

Warmer climate means more rainfall......

[edit on 24/7/2010 by loner007]

Why was the dam not designed for that amount of water.
dams should be built to take a 1 in 1000 year flood.

Anyplace can have freak weather global warming or not.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

they won't get it,..
these are people that cannot see past their own nose,..

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Didnt the Three Gorges Dam just flood thousands of homes and displace millions in China?

We have BP spill and de-solve it with corexit
China has BP spill and uses the newest and best known technoloy corexit

China s Dam Three gorges dam Breaks
Americas Dam in Iowa breaks

Bad Karma

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Being born and raised in Iowa, this is nothing really new, or spectacular. It happens every summer, some old dam breaks or over fills. This one just happened to make the news nothing sinister there. It looks like it over filled and didnt really break per say anyways. Even here in Oklahoma where I live now we get freak storms occasionaly that no one planned for so I chaulk this one up to mother nature.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Company builds dam to hold water, But not too much water though, Just the right amount. Idont get it.

Who was controling the input ? and will he/she get the sack?

Regards. robbo.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jedite
Being born and raised in Iowa, this is nothing really new, or spectacular. It happens every summer, some old dam breaks or over fills. This one just happened to make the news nothing sinister there. It looks like it over filled and didnt really break per say anyways. Even here in Oklahoma where I live now we get freak storms occasionaly that no one planned for so I chaulk this one up to mother nature.
Yeah but it isn't an all the time event when a dam collapses ..
Bummer for the people down stream..
But then again it is rather stupid to live so close to a river in the first place or in a flood plain,.
And yet the dumb ones always seem to buy that property

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It is neglect of the infastructure. I live in Pittsburgh and the roads are terrible, the bridges are falling down, the river front is a mess and the take more and more. The russians described this as "Painted Rust".
If you drive 10 miles from my house "West or South" your will be on a pefectly paved clean road.
Believe it or not here in Pennsylvainia we still pay taxes for the Johnstown flood which occured about 90 years ago. That is how out of whack it is here.
Our state bird is an orange road cone and they never finish a project,
Look up the Pittsburgh parkway and you will find two things
A) we refer to it as the parking lot (Park in a driveway and drive on a Parkway)lol
B) it has been under construction since about 1953
Go figure

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Jeeeeeesus.... Im glad no one got hurt in that ! What I have never understood, is why the hell they would build dams that can be broken. I mean surely they ought to be built so that they would over flow rather than break ? Why build a large water containment area, which cannot hold as much water as can fit in behind it ? Surely a little surface run off would be better than having such terrible results as the breaking of the dam?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdJohnAdams

Didn't a damn recently break in Arizona as well? Part of me wonders if this is accidental or part of an agenda.

I personally believe its small test of martial law, a little crisis and see how easy the local population reacts.

But maybe I'm reading into this one to much, 10 inches is a lot of rain.

www.allvoi ces.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.msnbc.msn.com...
This article paints a better picture of the damage immediately caused.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by ThirdJohnAdams]

Don't sweat it man, this happened once before in Rapid City SD where many people died as a result of CLOUD SEEDING causing a dam to fail.

apatheticlemming.blogspot.com...

This may be the case again as We were watching cloud seeding occurring over northwest Iowa when this storm system wreaked havoc here, causing basements to collapse.

Also, whenever a mob of ATS members flocks to a thread saying, "its no big deal, it always happens this way." You can bet that if things don't seem to add up, something bigger is going on.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Happyfeet]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdJohnAdams

Oh, come on!! :shk: !!!

I personally believe its small test of martial law, a little crisis and see how easy the local population reacts.

But maybe I'm reading into this one to much, 10 inches is a lot of rain.

Yes, you are.

Yes, it is.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdJohnAdams
reply to post by loner007

I'm sorry I just find it hard to believe that this was the rainstorm that did it to this dam.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by ThirdJohnAdams]

I live in Wisconsin and we got hit by the same TRAIN of over 10 supercells back-to-back (after Iowa did, of course). Believe me...the rainstorm did this. It was the same storm that caused sinkholes in Milwaukee.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I don't think that the Three Gorges Dam has broken. Millions of people were displaced when the dam was being constructed, they were "moved" out of harms way by the government.
The Three Gorges Dam has not broken yet but give it time and it probably will!

[edit on 27/7/10 by wiser3]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join