It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Residents Run For Their Lives to Escape Raging Floods From Massive Break in Iowa Dam.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Residents Run For Their Lives to Escape Raging Floods From Massive Break in Iowa Dam.

www.allvoi ces.com

A CNN Wire report stated the dam’s failure unleashed huge quantities of water, submerging homes and other buildings up to their roofs. The lake, which is approximately 45 miles north of Cedar Rapids, broke today as a result of excessively heavy rains.

Communications Director, Jim Flansburg told CNN, that the almost 10 inches of rain had descended on the area within 12 hours, which proved too much for the dam to contain. The roads on either side that were part of the containment, collapsed under the pressurized, rapidly increasing volume of water.

The flood warnings, which sounded aroun
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Didn't a damn recently break in Arizona as well? Part of me wonders if this is accidental or part of an agenda.

I personally believe its small test of martial law, a little crisis and see how easy the local population reacts.

But maybe I'm reading into this one to much, 10 inches is a lot of rain.

www.allvoi ces.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.msnbc.msn.com...
This article paints a better picture of the damage immediately caused.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by ThirdJohnAdams]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It's just like the neglect of the infrastructure and exporting of jobs, part of the plan to make the US into a third world country.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
nothing to do with the government , everything to do with mother nature. Mess around with the earths mechanisms and this is what happens, the unexpected and rare weather events will become more frequent. Again (said this in many posts) if you think its bad now wait another 15 years. Check out Gaia Theory and put 2 and 2 together.......

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
It's just like the neglect of the infrastructure and exporting of jobs, part of the plan to make the US into a third world country.

Dunno about it being planned per se, but the US infrastructure is seriously in bad shape. I was watching a documentary on the subject not too long ago that stated we would have to spend something like 2X the annual GDP to bring our infrastructure back to a good safe status. Most bridges and dams are currently expected to have les than 50 years of life left in them with no plans or savings to replace them.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

At the very least, that's the exact vibe I'm getting out of this. The sheer coincidence of this same "disaster" literally within 4 days of one another just doesn't seem plausible to me.

www.myfoxphoenix.com...

Now maybe I'm a little uneducated but in regards to Iowa, is 10 inches of rain really pushing the capabilities of our dams?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They need to take rebuilding our infrastructure way more serious. i seen a video a while back that compared Hiroshima vs. Detroit. it really makes me wonder why we care more about other countries than we do our own.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

That's one I haven't heard about, I'll add that to my list of things to read up on.

This wasn't a rare weather event though, it was as others have said, a failure of infrastructure.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
wonder if obama'll respond any quicker then he did to the Tennessee flooding they had not too long ago this year?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdJohnAdams

errr no it was because the dam could not contain the high amount of rainfall that had been pouring into it in such a small amount of time. Nothing to do with the infrastructure. The infrastructure was not designed for that amount of water. The problem with the infrastructure is that if these weather events become more frequent then the infrastructure will continue to fail as its tolerances are breached. The infrastructure is still good as long as the conditions do not surpass its tolerances it was built for.

Warmer climate means more rainfall......

[edit on 24/7/2010 by loner007]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I found a video on youtube of the first arial video footage of the dam gushing water into thousands of homes.

here

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Thank you for that, wow the pure devastation so quickly. Those poor people, I almost don't know what to say other than we should offer our prayers or at the very least keep the people affected in mind.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I'm sorry I just find it hard to believe that this was the rainstorm that did it to this dam.

gazetteonline.com...

So your telling me that the dam has sustained who knows how many rainstorms since 1929. And that due to freak weather this was the one that did it in.

I don't buy into your Global Warming agenda buddy, save it for the appropriate thread.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
That dam does not look broken. That looks like over spill.

If the dam was breached the water level behind it would not be at the top of the dam.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter

Ahhh no
More like exactly what the story said..
Some area of this country have been receiving record amounts of rain in a short time..
this allows no time for distribution.. and the structures are not built to handle so much water at once,..
Downtown Milwaukee got 5+ inches of rain in 2 hours..
this has been happening all over the world actually.
there has been flooding all over this country for the last 3 years..and it will only get worse..

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

YOu may find it hard to believe but it still dosent change the facts.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Well from what I've read theres more arguements on both sides for and against than facts on either.

So if you don't mind I'd like to see what you consider fact. U2U me, cause I really don't want this thread being hijacked by the played out global warming topic.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007

errr no it was because the dam could not contain the high amount of rainfall that had been pouring into it in such a small amount of time. Nothing to do with the infrastructure. The infrastructure was not designed for that amount of water. The problem with the infrastructure is that if these weather events become more frequent then the infrastructure will continue to fail as its tolerances are breached. The infrastructure is still good as long as the conditions do not surpass its tolerances it was built for.

Warmer climate means more rainfall......

[edit on 24/7/2010 by loner007]

Why was the dam not designed for that amount of water.
dams should be built to take a 1 in 1000 year flood.

Anyplace can have freak weather global warming or not.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This reminds me a lot of the Lake Delton Wisconsin dam breaking in June 2008, causing the entire lake to drain into southern Wisconsin...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
So, you don't believe that 10 inches of rain fell in 12 hours? So then the article is false? If you dont believe record amounts of rain fell in 12 hours, then why do you believe anything else the article has to say? Go ahead and try to link this and the other dam overflowing, you will look silly in the process. That much rain falling anywhere will cause flooding. I like in a city on the Mississippi, and that much rain would cause some serious flooding of the river banks, is that a conspiracy as well? I guess the government has been systematically lowering the river banks while everyone was asleep to test "martial law" as your unsupported post claims. You have 2 dams, 4 days apart overflowing due to unique conditions and it someone leads you to believe the government is testing martial law. You are ridiculous.

<<   2 >>

join