It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Love parade 15 dead, 100 injured.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Large amount of alcohol is also another suspect...

Was in one such parade myself once. Was there because being a visitor of the city (a European city) at the time. It was the afternoon around 4pm and the number people in the crowd and the level of the music was "hynoptic" even with the open air environment. After a short while, decide to get away from it.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
well i guess there wasnt much love at that parade,

what? joke too lame?

i wonder what caused it, someone shoot a gun off? someone scream bomb or fire? its just weird to not know the cause.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Looks like a lot of bad planning was going on there.
Pushing people through a tunnel, especially such a horde isn't a good idea. Then they even didn't open all the emergency exits in those tunnels because....nobody knows why.
And nobody did anything against all the people pushing into that tunnel, even though everybody saw there were way too many people, they didn't close it down.
And they had to few security and medical people. Only 1200 cops, even less medical staff.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by no special characters

It is for this reason that I don't go to places where large crowds are found. People have a herd mentality when it comes to participating in large events. Add drugs, whereas they are found aplenty at these techno events, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I've been to so many of these events, student-work related and the only disasters I've seen were on rockfestivals and sporting events. but thats me I'm ignorant

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Why is everyone speculating about how it happened? Read the news links.

The festival had millions of visitors, which wasn't what they expected, so when it became to crowdy on the festival the police was sending people back out through the tunnel at the same time when others tried to come in through that same tunnel. To many people trying to go both ways in a small tunnel, that's what caused the panic.

It's 15 official deaths at this moment and 10 known to be critical.

One thing is for sure, the organisation had to see this coming, they knew they had to many visitior coming their way. Hours before the incident people where trying to access the festival by going on the train tracks.
When people start doing stupid things, it's time to act. No one acted, not the organisation, not the police...

Personally, I go to this kinds of events at least twice a year, my first rule is to stay at the edge of the crowd, never IN the crowd. At the end of the event I find a less populated spot and wait one, even two hours untill most of the people are gone.
I was in a big crowd once at a Rolling Stones concert, at the end everyone started moving towards the exits and I had no choice then to move with them. Everyone was packed together, very scary, I felt like I was about to faint. Won't happen to me a second time.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Those videos are hard to watch. That puts the fear into me, all that pan!k and fear, confusion and suffering. I've been in a small crowd rush, and it's really really scary and unplesant. That could be any one of us who attends large events. (drugs weren't to blame for the Hillsborough dissaster) And it's such a shame, as these events are supposed to be a day free of any negativity.

(edit, death toll is now 19, not 15.
)

[edit on 25/7/2010 by Acidtastic]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
Why is everyone speculating about how it happened? Read the news links.

The festival had millions of visitors, which wasn't what they expected, so when it became to crowdy on the festival the police was sending people back out through the tunnel at the same time when others tried to come in through that same tunnel. To many people trying to go both ways in a small tunnel, that's what caused the panic.

It's 15 official deaths at this moment and 10 known to be critical.

One thing is for sure, the organisation had to see this coming, they knew they had to many visitior coming their way. Hours before the incident people where trying to access the festival by going on the train tracks.
When people start doing stupid things, it's time to act. No one acted, not the organisation, not the police...

Personally, I go to this kinds of events at least twice a year, my first rule is to stay at the edge of the crowd, never IN the crowd. At the end of the event I find a less populated spot and wait one, even two hours untill most of the people are gone.
I was in a big crowd once at a Rolling Stones concert, at the end everyone started moving towards the exits and I had no choice then to move with them. Everyone was packed together, very scary, I felt like
I was about to faint. Won't happen to me a second time.

I have heard it was the lack of air in the tunnel that caused people to collapse.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
We have an event in my town every year that draws a million people to the riverfront for fireworks. At the end there is a steady throng of people for nearly an hour as every street is filled with people leaving the site.

Every street. There is the point. There are a hundred outlets for people to use. Its a marvelous site in itself. People of every age and nationality marching by peacefully.

The problem with this event in Germany was too much "control" -- funneling the whole crowd through a single confined space and then trying to turn them back upon themselves in that same space. Absurd! What were they thinking. They surely weren't thinking.

More openness and freedom and less control would have prevented this disaster. I lay blame at the city and organizers.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Let's dispel some of the ignorance shown in this thread, shall we?

The Love Parade attracts well over a million each year, it was not a surprise to have that many people arrive in the slightest. There have been very few problems in this event's history, which should speak volumes about the organisation and the people that attend.

The cause of this tragedy was undoubtedly the police, who closed off one end of a busy tunnel and expect thousands to somehow make their way back out while thousands more try to get in without knowing the other end had been closed. What were they thinking? Whoever is in charge of organising those police should be held accountable, I also hear from witnesses that while people were dying the police did nothing and just looked on - what does that tell you?

Also as an aside, the music played the Love Parade is not really techno, which is a genre of it's own (I hate it when these things are confused by the ignorant and media). Mostly house and trance is the order of the day, with hardcore techno and the like being banned from the event. The banning of underground music that started the Love Parade in the first place has led to a separate event called the F*** Parade, which attracts many people who are into alternative scenes and is much more political than the possibly now clichéd Love Parade.

I just hope that no more lives are lost. I could see this getting ugly once people realise what has happened as the police have tried to keep a lid on things and allow the event to go on without telling those attending anything about the disaster, even those at the scene. One could argue the police will reap what they sow when their dishonesty is revealed...

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
this is very sad! i never like to hear about tragedies at music events, as music is about soothing the soul.
as a musician i have seen how quickly things can get out of control. From my personal experiences, it is usually those who are "under the influence" who create the worst problems.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

Yep, once again, the stupidity of the police is behind this.
Its gotten to the point now that anytime I attend a public event of any kind, I am constantly on alert as to what the police are doing. It is like I am becoming hyper sensitive to how they might do something to cause problems rather than prevent them.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Techno is barely music. It is more like a hypnotic. Sad to hear about people dying due to human stypidity.

Wonder if these guys got away safely?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I feel absolutely no feelings over this. The bright side I see is that the worldwide average IQ just went up a small percentage.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Reply to post by Carseller4

Why?

What makes you say these people were stupid? Would you be saying the same if a victim was a family member? What an appauling thing to say. Shocking...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

Hi Goatothief,

I totally agree! These people were simply out to enjoy themselves.

Guess the other poster had little sympathy for those crushed at football matches or religious festivals...?

Personally I don't like being in crowds as I like to have control of my 'space' but to put people down like that...come on!

Peace!

[edit on 25-7-2010 by The Wave]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
An awful tragedy where young people lost their lives yesterday!

As an older adult I would never be in such a crowded place with so many people, especially not in a crowded tunnel - the layout of that tunnel place in combination with so many people would had set off all kinds of alarm bells in my head.

But many younger people don't think about practical things as exit routes and such when you're out with friends attending a crowded music festival or concert, I know! because we didn't give a damn about it ourselves, when my mates and I were younger.

I really feel sad for those parents who lost their beloved daughter or son in Duisburg yesterday.

Wirklich traurig!

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is just more proof of my contention that humans are insane.

Didn't those stepping on someone else know that they were doing so?
Did the think the pavement was soft and lumpy?
Didn't those crushing someone know it?
Wouldn't they know if a person beside them or especially infront of them fell?

I fail to see any fun being in a crowd where everyone is almost shoulder to shoulder and all talking at the same time this noise they call music is going on. They must be nearly asphyxiated from lack of oxygen.

It seems logical that there should be restrictions as to so many people per square foot of space for the event.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by OhZone]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Classic example of people labelling some electronic music techno without knowing what techno actually is.

This is techno:

This is not techno (despite the uploader labelling as such):

reply to post by OhZone

Thanks for an insight into your stunning world of ignorance. It's clear you do not understand how the tragedy occurred or you are ignoring the facts instead using your bigoted stereotype of anyone who enjoys a certain kind of music must somehow be stupid, with that being the cause.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Goathief]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Techno is barely music. It is more like a hypnotic. Sad to hear about people dying due to human stypidity.

Wonder if these guys got away safely?

Thats not Techno, in fact i don't even know what it is...
You should also hear what most Europeans have to say about american Rock&Roll.....Its pretty much the same thing......Just noise with some guy dressed like a tramp screaming and shouting...

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief

Thanks for an insight into your stunning world of ignorance. It's clear you do not understand how the tragedy occurred or you are ignoring the facts instead using your bigoted stereotype of anyone who enjoys a certain kind of music must somehow be stupid, with that being the cause.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Goathief]

This from someone who steals goats.

Where exactly did I ignore "facts"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join