It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Love parade 15 dead, 100 injured.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Breaking News: Love parade 15 dead, 100 injured.

www.msnbc.msn.com

BERLIN — At least 10 people were killed and another 15 injured when mass panic broke out Saturday in a tunnel at an annual celebration of techno music in western Germany.

The deaths occurred at the Love Parade in Duisburg, near Duesseldorf, where thousands had gathered for the event.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The numbers reported in the title are correct and might rise. Sad that these mass events can turn into a tragedy very quickly.

I've seen people panic at mass events myself and there is almost no way to control a crowd that big.

Maybe we won't see the parade any longer after today.
Why should I fill this space up with so much of my own comments by the way ?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

It is for this reason that I don't go to places where large crowds are found. People have a herd mentality when it comes to participating in large events. Add drugs, whereas they are found aplenty at these techno events, and you have a recipe for disaster.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Watching on BBC now, it only says 10 dead and a few injuries. This must be quite bad and I hope the numbers don't rise. This is a great event and lots of fun to be had there. As it is a huge party to commemorate the fall of the Berlin wall it always seemed to have an extra buzz.

And not to go to one in fear of the herd mentality and drugs is to really be missing out on an experience. You could get struck down at anytime, anywhere - to live and feel these kind of experiences make life my friend!!

Saying that crowds can kind of act as one organism and your right when it goes bad it's horrible,
Peace

[edit on 24/7/2010 by LestatG] edits for dodgy iPhone and chocolate fingers!!

[edit on 24/7/2010 by LestatG]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

Here is the German source. www.bild.de...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

I have plenty of fun without going to drug-fuel events where the mindset is distorted by said substances.

I just don't like crowds. I'm a Tea Partier who stays on the outskirts of the event...Because, although they've been peaceful, I don't underestimate the power of stupid people to influence large crowds. Anything can happen, and I'm of the mind to not let it happen to me if I can help it.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Horrible just horrible. I hate crowds this is why. My thoughts go out to the familys and loved ones of the dead and injured.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by no special characters

It is for this reason that I don't go to places where large crowds are found. People have a herd mentality when it comes to participating in large events. Add drugs, whereas they are found aplenty at these techno events, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Well said and I agree.

If its a crowd I personally do not know the majority of on a person-to-person level, I'm usually very uneasy and ready for chaos or worse.

Crowds suck.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Tragic. Go out to have a bit of fun and wind up dead or hurt.

reply to post by projectvxn

Especially those with guns, eh? I'm with you on the crowd thing. Just don't do them. Being pushed and shoved is not my idea of a good time.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Sorry but you said you did not go to these types of events, I even stay on the outskirts of the crowd!!
I didn't mean to say you don't have fun, just that when these types of commemorations are on there is an extra buzz.
And when I was there sure some people where off yheir face but the worst where the drunks. Most of the people there were drunk and not high!
I was just trying to say that it's a fantastic parade. Got I bit too exited I guess.
Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

First up, All the best to everybody involved in this terrible accident.

Now for your remark...

I have plenty of fun without going to drug-fuel events where the mindset is distorted by said substances.

What a weird thing to say!?! So you assume that drugs was the cause of this mass panic??

I went to most of the love parades in Berlin back in the days and there where 1.3 million people there doing alcohol and drugs and there could not have been a better mood!!!

Mass panics breaks out among the best of groups!!

Please don't go blaming the drugs, mannnnnn......

Peace

[edit on 24-7-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The barbaric like nature of people never ceases to amaze me. This reminds me of when the idiots trampled each other to death at Walmart a few years ago on black friday. #ing savages

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
We live in strange times.

Even a love Parade ends in tragedy, nowadays.

Our ancestors didn't hve a Love Parade, yet they had love and respect.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I sometimes wonder if we are truly civilized.

The most I learn from men, the more I admire my dogs.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Wide Vision 2010]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Many years ago I went to our local county fair and I watched a group of teenagers get together, then all take off screaming and running in one direction. Generally the people around them would start to stampede in the same direction, but if it didn't work they would come back after a few moments and try it again. I remember jumping up onto a nearby bench to avoid the sudden onrush, and dragging a small child near me up on to the bench to keep her out of the rampaging mob. It still irks me that these idiot's games could have ended up hurting people for no reason, esp. a small child. I walked around afterwards until I could reunite her w/ her family.

Anywhere in large groups certain idiots can cause trouble, it has nothing to do this the nature of the event. And this was way before 9/11 got everyone paniced at the drop of a hat.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by LestatG

I just don't like crowds. I'm a Tea Partier who stays on the outskirts of the event...Because, although they've been peaceful, I don't underestimate the power of stupid people to influence large crowds. Anything can happen, and I'm of the mind to not let it happen to me if I can help it.

Nobody cares how much you dispise techno and techno lovers. Stay on the subject. Show some pity for the dead.
The people who attended don't deserve another Love Parade. People who push into crowds should be beaten down. I thought Germans had more social responsibility than most, I was wrong.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Here's an idea, don't infer meaning that isn't there.

My point was on large crowds and herd mentality. If that is not to your liking too bad.

These things happen at large events. People go into a panic and people get hurt in the process. I know what happens at these events because I used to go to them. I'm speaking from experience. No need to get bent out of shape over it.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by projectvxn]

[edit on 24-7-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Nope, not blaming drugs. I'm blaming people. People on drugs don't make the best decisions. Especially in a herd environment like this.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Hahaha! I'm usually one of those with a gun or two. I like the tea parties, but the crowds put me off. It's difficult for me to focus my attention when I'm surrounded by people. I just don't like that feeling.

I was at a punk rock show a few months ago and a small fire broke out near the amps. luckily there weren't too many people there. I was able to get to the extinguisher on time before the place went up in flames. Had there been a larger crowd I may not have been here to tell the story.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
How did this thread turn into a connect with a mod mentality? Thats the only herd mentality I see here, lol.

Wow, I have great friends in germany, hope all are well. This is tragic and I bet it was some crowd provoceteers who caused it. Could be terrorist act as well.

Its not just Germans that attend. Any gathering is getting more risky, what a drag.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join