It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which of these 3 fighter aircraft is better?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Singapore currently operates all versions of the F-16 including the latest "D" versions. We also operate 2 other aging aircrafts the A-4E Skyhawks and the F-5E Tiger.

We are now looking at 3 aircrafts to take over from the A-4E for the near future. I think a decision has been made already but I'm not up-to-date yet.

The Dassault Rafale

the Eurofighter Typhoon

Boeing F-15T Eagle

[edit on 17-6-2004 by tvdog]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
duno the F-15 has got a nice all round thing going for it
the eurofighter has supercruise and lots of manouverability
and the rafale is well prety bad

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'd say the Eurofighter, its a great multirole fighter. F15 is rather old now;although still a great plane;hell, it can fly with one wing blown off.
I'm not a great Rafale fan, and its only suited to air to air till the upgrade.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
There were reports widely circulated that we have chosen the Eurofighter Typhoon which we will purchase from England. Our Ministry of Defence issued a statement in May this year that this is not true and the 3 short-listed fighters are still undergoing evaluation. Decision is due next year.

The Boeing F/A18E Super Hornet, the Sukhoi Su-35 and the Lockheed Martin F-16 were not selected.

Rejected: Boeing F/A18E Super Hornet

Rejected: F-16 (we already operate about 8 squadrons of F-16A/B/C/D, etc...)

Rejected: Russian Su-35

The Swedish Gripen was also considered but not even invited for evaluation. It may still be considered as replacement for the F-5E.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
the eurofighter is being bought for the RAF.
the UK is not england please do not call it that
the gryphen is a nice plane

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
the eurofighter is being bought for the RAF.
the UK is not england please do not call it that
the gryphen is a nice plane

haha... I guess in my country we're used to calling that country of yours England. Sorry for any sensitivity... but can you tell me what's the difference between Britain, the British Empire, England, United Kingdom? Did I miss out anything else?

Is it that England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland make up the UK?

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
scotland,england(i dont like em) ,wales,nothern ireland(dont get involved in y it is called that. takes a long time 2 exsplain.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
who gives a S*** if you guys choose the Eurofighter or sukhoi they are all fish food compared to the F-22

[edit on 17-6-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Nevermind.

Looks like staff doesnt want this.

[edit on 17-6-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I dont really know about the stats so my vote goes to the F-15 since it looks coolest
Plus it's made by Boeing

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The Eurofighter is good for Singapure, but the problem is it costs the same as 2-3 F-15. Why not buy modernized f-15 with newer vector thrust engines?

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I would say the Eurofighter is probably the best of the bunch, it's the most advanced gen-4 fighter and is superior to anything else currenly in use by other Asian nations.

The F-15 is nice and cheap, and it's powerful, but it lacks supercruse and I think it has reached the apex of its development (as the US is getting into gen-5), while the Eurofighter is going to have upgrades comming for a long time.

The new French fighter still needs some work to bring it up to par with the European, American and Russian designs. It has decient air to air but multirole is the way to go these days.

I would have thought the Grippen would have made more of a showing, same with the Su.

Honestly if you want something to really talk about go buy some new Russian fighters, I hear they have some new export models that can hold their own with gen-5s.

Don't even listen to WestPoint, I don't think Singapore has any reason to worry about the F-22, why would the Americans come after the island, and why would they use a fighter that barley works? If I were on the team, I'd just want something that can beat the J-10, and new Japanese fighters as those are the local best planes.

May Peace Travel With You
~Astral

E_T

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Astral City
The F-15 is nice and cheap, and it's powerful, but it lacks supercruse

Singapore is very small country so I wouldn't keep lack of supercruise as big flaw, because there's no need to fly big distances.
(and I don't think these others are capable to supercruise when they have missiles/something under their wings)

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I think that the supercruse would be helpful to Singapore expressedly because it's a small country. It allows a large zone of engagement around the nation, helping to defeat an enemy before they can even get close to the beaches.

Singapore isn't a fortress nation and an invasion could easily take place, I would want to have as large a defense sheild out over the ocean as possible before the invaders could make landfall.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
F-22's all saleing everywhere! Italy had an order of 400 of them ill try to find the link!

E_T

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Astral City
I think that the supercruse would be helpful to Singapore expressedly because it's a small country. It allows a large zone of engagement around the nation, helping to defeat an enemy before they can even get close to the beaches.

But what's their range compared to F-15?
Supercruise don't work "well" if you have stuff under wings. (and using only internal gun is bad idea)
If F-15 without supercruise and with air defense loadout can fly farther/longer than them, then supercruise doesn't matter.

I prefer looking for whole instead of those "cool words" in product's brochures.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

But what's their range compared to F-15?
Supercruise don't work "well" if you have stuff under wings. (and using only internal gun is bad idea)
If F-15 without supercruise and with air defense loadout can fly farther/longer than them, then supercruise doesn't matter.

I prefer looking for whole instead of those "cool words" in product's brochures.

Eurofighter has NO internal gun (canon). And about the external weapons - I don't know if ti can supercruise with ext. wepons, but it's 4 AMRAAM missiles are carried in "semiconformal" under the fuselage.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
who gives a S*** if you guys choose the Eurofighter or sukhoi they are all fish food compared to the F-22

[edit on 17-6-2004 by WestPoint23]

big deal that planes nothing compared to the YF23 get a production f23 then get them in a 1 on1 . the f23 would mop the floor with the f22 and then use it for toilet papaer

also super cruise is handy no need to burn faluable fuel on after burners
the EF is a fine dogfighter extremely manouvarble

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
both the F-23 and F-22 are american 5th generation fighters so why would they fight each other and Astral what do you mean a plane that barley works the F-22 is fully operational.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I would say, that it all comes down to the best pilot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join