It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Submerged Wonders of the World

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
fantastic post OP.

The ruins in Japan interest me significantly since they "seem" to have a lot of similarities to south/central american pyramids and ruins.

Whole advanced civilizations predating or existing in addition to what we knew had existed, just mind blowing to think about.

I mean seriously we think we know our species history then we get thrown a curve ball like these from ALL over the world.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It amazes me. Stuns me how places are swallowed up and forgotten.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
japan has pyramids! wow incredible how these unexplained mysteries are just everywhere with little to non notice in the public.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leonardo01
Unfortunately that is what we are led to believe .The Indus valley civilization is actually older than was thought earlier[ and is perhaps as old if not older than the Egyptian civilization]. Also they did have a writing system even way back in 4500 BC as is evident from the Harrapa and Mohenjedaro seals. I was also quite surprised to know that the speed of light is actually cited in the Rig Veda....Ostensibly our understanding of what we refer to as history continues to evolve.

"The hymn 1.50 of the Rigveda on the Sun, says
[O Sun] you who traverse 2,202 yojanas in half a nimesa.The usual meaning of yojana is about 9 miles as in the Artha´saastra and for nimisha.
The measures of time are thus defined in the Puranas:
15 nimesa = 1 kastha
30kastha= 1 kala
30 kala = 1 muhurta
30 muhurta = 1 day-and-night

A nimesa is therefore equal to 16/75 seconds. It does come very close to the correct figure of 186,000 miles per second.”

So, 30x30x30x15 is 405,000 nimesas in one day, right? That corresponds to 86400 seconds in a day, right? So, by using the Windows calculator we have the ratio of 0.213 (that's how many seconds are in a nimesa). now, according to the humn, [the Sun] travels 2,202 yojanas in half a nimesa, that's (2,202x9/0.213)x2 miles per second, right? That gives 185794 miles per second, remarkably close to the actual value of the speed of light. Of course there's a small problem, the hymn speaks of the Sun, unless of course they attributed the same name to the Sun itself and its light.

One thing I don't get is why any civilization HAS to be much older than "we think of", "much more advanced than we are aware" or much anything than "we are led to believe". Can't things be as old as they are?

Maybe this could be up there?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
what if the claim that the ancient cultures built with stone (megalithic) because they were not that advanced, is not true. these stone structures appear to resist earthquakes and other disasters and are remarkably well preserved considering how old they are (think great pyramid of cheops/khufu), even the ones underwater are still recognizable even after thousands of years of water erosion.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The fact that stone is extremely durable and building with stone can produce monuments that can defy even the forces of nature must not lead us astray of the simple fact that it takes not an advanced technology, as we mean it today, to work with stone. It needs no special preparation, like concrete or steel. It can be cut down to size, depending on one's level of "skill" in moving stone blocks, and to shape to create masterful fitting that makes the whole structure very strong and durable - better withstanding earthquakes than most modern buildings.

Of course, when we deal with some stone blocks used in ancient times, one can only wonder how on Earth did they move them. The sheer size implies that they must have known something that we, relying on machine power so heavily, have no need for anymore and thus forgot it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the ancient cultures were "more advanced", I'd say they were advanced "in a different way".

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maegnas

ancient stone technology

At least one piece is so flawlessly turned that the entire bowl (about 9" in diameter, fully hollowed out including an undercut of the 3in opening in the top) balances perfectly (the top rests horizontally when the bowl is placed on a glass shelf) on a round tipped bottom no bigger than the size and shape of the tip of a hen's egg !

This requires that the entire bowl have a symmetrical wall thickness without any substantial error! (With a base area so tiny - less than .15 " sq - any asymmetry in a material as dense as granite would produce a lean in the balance of the finished piece.) This kind of skill will raise the eyebrows of any machinist. To produce such a piece in clay would be very impressive. In granite it is incredible.

www.theglobaleducationproject.org...

[edit on 23-7-2010 by undo]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Not of this Earth

The problem is only the people with money can afford to explore at those depths. Those are usually TPTB and do not want some of that info to go main stream.

Not only that. It is becoming increasingly difficult to be an independent explorer nowadays and go diving at historical sites. Governments pass laws making it illegal for you to be there or disturb anything. If they notice your boat they will send marine units out to see what you're up to. Permits are required in most jurisdictions.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Excellent Post. I am sure there are more hidden cities in the sea.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

It is possible that because we think in complex ways, the more simplistic ways elude us. It is also possible that if we could open a window into the past to see how things were done, we might experience a moment of "Oh, well duh, of course". We try to put everything in terms of our current technologies, it is hard not to, it is the world we are living in.

We have moved past the more simplistic explanations and have forgotten them for the most part.

It is also possible that the more simplistic way, even though they were able to accomplish amazing feats, was less efficient, thus we moved away from that approach when more efficient ways were found.

Though this is only a theory it seems, to me at least, more feasible than them having more advanced technology than us.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

WONDERFUL POST!!! I am familiar with MOST of the sites, but not all, so THANK YOU!!
I am one of thos nuts, who believe, that ATLANTIS, is under 3 miles of ice, on Antartica!! The physical descriptions match, pretty-close, (hey- WHAT do you expect, after 9,000 years?? -referring to Solon)

I think THIS, is what the "major powers", are doing, at the "research bases", down there!! "Whoever finds the magic power crystal first, wins!(EVERYTHING!)

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

S+F wonderful thread
< Steve-o once again stands in for the 2nd line>

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Great Thread. I love archeology, but I was more interested in digging lost cities out of ancient jungles. Then I started studing forensic anthropology. There is so much to learn and only limited time per day.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Still there is some interesting shapes down there. Not denying their naturally made. Just stating anything could be there until we see it with cameras and legit investigations.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well, the thread I was working on originally has been posted now, some of you may be interested in it...

As Above, So Below?

Thanks for all the great replies

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

well if you compare things like the mahabharata and say, the middle ages, there was definitely a loss of information until like oh, archimedes, galileo, copernicus. doesn't mean that no one knew, just that there was alot of history buried for thousands of years in some cases.

the claim for throwing out most of ancient history that did exist at that point, was based on the fact most of the verification for it was buried under sand, rock, water, lava, other towns/villages built on top and flood silt. by the time we found all the older texts and data, it was too late, the old texts had all been ruled mythology. any "supernatural" or advanced technology references were also deemed myth. (300 years ago, it was a myth that man could fly, that babies could be born without intercourse, that space travel was possible... ya know, they didn't have the science but that doesn't mean they never did!)

it's like the big elephant in the room that everyone's ignoring because the alternative would be to admit the old texts aren't myth afterall and then all religious hell would break lose.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by undo]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Just because people could imagine such things does not mean it was a previous reality.

I think by making such statements you are dismissing the imaginations that were around that helped conceive of these myths and legends.

Without these myths and legends we may not have tried to make manned flight a reality, and without manned flight a being reality, spaceflight would also not be a reality.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

What pictures don't correspond? The picture of the beach? The diver? The underwater structure? Or the drawing which is obviously an artist's rendering?

The three photos appear to be from lake Phayao, which is the subject of the section below the one on the Gulf of Khambat.

No one has dived to these "sites" in the gulf, hence no pics, hence the OP's referenced site is trying to fool you with an improper juxtaposition of a story line with photos that are completely unrelated to the story line.

But, you go ahead on and believe it if that's what you want.

You haven't debunked anything.

In fact, I've debunked a great many things.

Not that it was all that hard, when you have people posting nonsense on this elementary level (Khambat.)

I suppose it could be that I've not done this at ATS yet, but surely someone else has.

Anyway - here's a pic showing a piece of the "pottery" Graham Hancock claims was dredged up there;

If you want to know exactly what this story is about, you can read Hancock's claims at his website, specifically beginning at THIS page
Please note that the text is exactly the same as that of your linked site. But this one has the pictures (all that are available - Hancock has removed several pics of the so-called "artifacts" from his website.)

At any rate, look at the claimed piece of "pottery." Now go to this article by Paul Heinrich on the subject and take a look at why this "pottery" is actually a natural concretion created by the slime of a tube worm.

Heinrich explodes several other inanities claimed by your referenced author on that page as well, but his links are dead because they all linked to the pics (now missing) at Hancock's website.

Now the reason these pics are no longer there is crystal clear, wouldn't you say?

Harte

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower
The main temples at Tikal are IDENTICAL to the one off the coast of Japan.

Exactly alike, very distinctively so. Here's a photo and article:en.wikipedia.org... Absolutely identical.

Don't you think that might be because what you're referring to is an artist's rendition? Not only that, but the title of the painting is not given - for all we know it was done for the cover of a science fiction fantasy novel.

I assure you there is no "pyramid" underwater off Yonaguni-Jima. Literally thousands of pictures of this natural formation are available online. Look at them, please.

Harte

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Maegnas

Well that would be correct, the sun was indeed synonymous with light in Sanskrit. Our understanding of history is rather limited to the archeological remains that still stand today and while it is not my intention to make wild and batty claims implying that these civilizations have originated from Atlantis or Aliens..... All I am insinuating is that; it is entirely plausible that an integral and important part of history is perhaps lost as in the case of the Library at Alexandria.We now know that "Troy" did indeed exist. The ancient Greeks had a goddamn computer (Antikythera Mechanism).The ancient Indians figured out the speed of light...for what purpose I wonder?

Is it not entirely tenable that our ancestors were not all that prosaic as we imagine them to be and more advanced than we give them credit for?

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Leonardo01]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join