It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost got arrested, grrrr

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

My advice IS to co-operate

Be cooperative, tell them what they want to know...tell them where you've been where your going....don't empty your pockets and don't tell them your name

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
What was the situation? Did you get pulled over? Were you walking down the side walk? Were you in a house or place of business? Why was the officer there and conducting an investigation? Were you suspected of something or a witness to something?

Need to fill in the story to fully understand what was going on.

In short if a police officer asked you to identify yourself and you refuse, then he/she will take you to the station to figure out who you are and why you refused to identify yourself.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

And keeping your privacy is "inviting attention" is it?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleObserver

he/she will take you to the station to figure out who you are and why you refused to identify yourself.

No they'll let you go on your way...you haven't done anything wrong

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Why are you replying to me about keeping your privacy etc?

I did not post that.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by Pockets

Well, I think life is tough enough without inviting attention from the police.

And keeping your privacy is "inviting attention" is it?

Read what I posted you narna

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets

he/she will take you to the station to figure out who you are and why you refused to identify yourself.

No they'll let you go on your way...you haven't done anything wrong

The police in the United States will do this. I've seen it many times in person. If you watch an episode of COPS you will also see this in roughly 1 out of every 3 episodes.

They have no idea who you are, they cant read minds. They don't know if you haven't done anything wrong or are wanted for murder. If they are conducting a investigation for whatever reason and you refuse to identify yourself, then you will be detained until they figure who you are and why you refuse to identify yourself.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

OK,

Firstly, you did not apologize to me and secondly, you quoted what I said, that life is tough enough without inviting attention from the police with a row of question marks.

Which leaves me bewildered.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

And what do I have to apologize for?

you not understanding my response.....read it

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

They don't know if you haven't done anything wrong

I like that line....classic...aren't they supposed to know who they are looking for and what they have supposedly done before they start going round arresting people

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by mellisamouse

Sorry to say, cops have the right to ask for and get your name.

Be nice to the cops and they will be nice to you (maybe).

Wrong. You are not required by law to give your name, address, or ID to any officer who ask. If you can find that law, please show it to me.

Now if you were breaking the law... you would be under arrest. If you are under arrest I strongly advise giving up your information. The last thing you want is to get booked into a jail as "J. Doe"

However, if you have done nothing wrong, you do not have to give them anything. They may threaten to arrest you, and if the consequences of an arrest are no matter to you, than stand your ground and force them to arrest you. Hire an attorney, have your day in court then sue for false imprisonment. Sadly though, most people do not have the resources or the will to fight, and that is part of what the police count on.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Yes, you are required to give your name to police officers.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Why do they want to know a name anyway? Does my name give them a clue to go on? Does my name connect me to a crime?

Are they just checking for a rich mans name or a family name of one of their co-workers or the mayor?

My name is perhaps the least valuable information a cop could have even if I were under direct investigation. Why do they want it?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
lol you feel violated and furious "are you serious"

Its your name, I bet you would tell it to a million other people with out a second thought but cause its the cops you either out to make trouble or you think they after you. They just doing their job and trying to help.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Don't tell the fuzz anything...if they ask your name or for you to empty your pockets...refuse...and ask what offence they are reporting you for

This is a bad idea.

There is a video called do not talk to the police, and I recommend
following its advice.

It says be polite and cooperate in a limited fashion.

Just let the cop know that you will let a lawyer speak for you,
and I'd tell the cop your name and show your papers
for the foot soldier of "mein fuhrer".

The video is put on by a lawyer and cop for some law students.

It was not meant for general public consumption I think, just their club...

But as always be polite, don't give the cop one ounce of attitude,
it will set them off as they are often power tripping freaks.

Here where I live they Tazz 85 yr old grannies in bed and choke
out ambulance drivers on the side of the road and get to KEEP
their jobs because our officials are about as bad as they are.

Respectfully decline, but expect them to be jerks because it is
part of their personality profile.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

They don't know if you haven't done anything wrong

I like that line....classic...aren't they supposed to know who they are looking for and what they have supposedly done before they start going round arresting people

They can hold anyone for no reason at all for up to 23 hrs and 59 min.

It has been used before the whole 911 madness.

Technically they can even say it was not an arrest, and say you
were detained for questioning or for YOUR safety and other silliness.

They do not quite break the law, just bend it beyond the point of
recognition much like the criminals do.

Some do this because they feel they need to as to compete with
the criminals often slimy methods of evading justice and now
the cops end up becoming a lot like them.

During testimony and other things cops are allowed to lie and often
do to try to get you to confess and will say horrendous things to
try to get you to confess.

Lying is part of their job now.

The video I posted goes into all this, and it might just keep you
from going thru a lot of grief.

Do not make any statement, do not say anything once miranda is
read to you, and under some of the new laws they are trying to
make it where you are not read miranda, and within 100 miles of
the US border you have no constitutional rights.

www.aclu.org...

The US is changing and a lot of that change is not for the better.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I thought this thread was really silly and should have ended up in the 'hoax' section.

It turns out its very informative on showing up the amount of idiots on here.

Can I just say to all the folk on here who are spouting about not giving the police your name, make sure you do that the next time your dealing with them and see how you get on.

The folk that are spouting about not co-operating are probably the very folk who would spill everything if questioned by police. Methinks thou douth protest too much.

Why the hell would anybody be scared to tell the police their name. Are you ashamed of it ? Living in fear again people. Try and move beyond that.

"The name that can be named is not the eternal name" tao-te-ching

[edit on 22-7-2010 by JohnySeagull]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
You always have to give your name, if stopped by police and asked. I was in a car that got pulled over and even though I was a passenger I had to state not only my name and relation to the driver but I was asked to produce ID to prove my identity. My guess is so that if anything happens and they get sued or get into some sort of trouble they have witnesses names down so that they can contact them. People fight tickets all the time so they need witnesses.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Can I just say to all the folk on here who are spouting about not giving the police your name, make sure you do that the next time your dealing with them and see how you get on.

After my arrest I looked up on there rules.....every time I have been approached by police after that I've never given them my name or emptied my pockets...admittedly yes they do get a bit wound up but they know the rules...unless they are reporting me for an offence...I'm not telling them my name or showing them my possessions

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

reply to post by JohnySeagull

After my arrest I looked up on there rules.....every time I have been approached by police after that I've never given them my name or emptied my pockets...admittedly yes they do get a bit wound up but they know the rules...unless they are reporting me for an offence...I'm not telling them my name or showing them my possessions

Good work. They won't get your name. Your sorted brother. TPTB will never get one over on you

And good work on never showing them your possessions. I bet they loose sleep over that. Not knowing what you got.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join