It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Racist' official not sure she'd return to USDA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

'Racist' official not sure she'd return to USDA

rawstory.com

The woman at the center of a racially tinged firestorm involving the Obama administration and the NAACP says she's not certain whether she would return to the Agriculture Department if invited back.

Shirley Sherrod says she's perplexed by the uproar over remarks she made 24 years ago about giving shortshrift attention to pleas for assistance by a white farmer. Sherrod, who is black, says her remarks broadcast on a conservative website were taken out of context, and "that's not me."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Black USDA official resigns after admitting she only 'did enough' for white farmer

Video Proof The NAACP Awards Racism –2010

[edit on 7/21/2010 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'm proud of her stance.

The hyped racism caused her to be forced from her job, anyone who thinks she willfully resigned doesn't understand politics.

I said early in the thread bashing her that I would like to see the whole video, and felt her comments were taken out of context.

I even feel bad for saying she most likely is a racist.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/21/2010 by ThaLoccster]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It's sounding more and more like she got caught up in a witch hunt. Very interesting how so many pertinent "facts" didn't come out in the early sensationalist reporting and blogging of this case. No shock there though, it's par for the course anymore, isn't it?

The only previous statement I've made about this was, "Giving it back, I guess. This is what seems to happen when you invest your self-worth or your power in the achievements and power of others. I don't know how to say what I want to say here, but here's a try. The fact that a black man is now president has changed people and their attitudes about themselves and toward each other, and not always in positive ways. And that goes for people of all races."

I guess I can still stand by most of that. The giving it back part makes me realize I fell for some of the early hype, and I could kick myself for that. But anyway, this whole new focus on race and racism is extremely disturbing. I know the country had great hopes that we could finally put it all behind us, but there are clearly people on all sides who don't want that to happen. Sad.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Here is the full video...

And another story...

Sherrod not sure she would go back to Ag Dept

The white farming family that was the subject of the story stood by Sherrod and said she should stay.

"We probably wouldn't have (our farm) today if it hadn't been for her leading us in the right direction," said Eloise Spooner, the wife of farmer Roger Spooner of Iron City, Ga. "I wish she could get her job back because she was good to us, I tell you."

"I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farmland, and here I was faced with helping a white person save their land," Sherrod said.

Initially, she said, "I didn't give him the full force of what I could do" and only gave him enough help to keep his case progressing. Eventually, she said, his situation "opened my eyes" that whites were struggling just like blacks, and helping farmers wasn't so much about race but was "about the poor versus those who have."

Like I said before, I feel bad for calling a lady a racist. And if this situation isn't a blatant case of hyped racism then I don't know what is.

But it worked, it got everyone hyped up. It got her removed from her job.

It got everyone sidetracked to real issues, and it convinced people that black and white matters, yet the only color that matters is green.

post by ThaLoccster

I'd like to see the rest of the video.

I find it odd that it cuts out right at the moment where she begins to explain that its not all about being black or white, but also about class and being poor versus rich.

I think thats the message that maybe with the racism HYPE that is trying to be conveyed.

I've often told people that black/white/brown/yellow doesn't matter, the only color that does matter is green, and if you aren't green then you don't matter.

I think thats what has happened in the past few years, people are starting to wake up to the class divide, and realize that we are all second class citizens to the people with money and power. So enter the new racism debate, because thats what its really all about is skin color.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I can't blame her for not wanting to go back. They really threw her under the bus. They didn't even bother to speak with her. I wouldn't want to work for someone like that. That's just a jerky employer right there.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Dear OP,

I would like to slap the crap out of the next person that even says the word "racist". Keeping this crap in the media keeps this crap alive...so "shtop it"! I am treally sick of this bs being brought up..like it matters.

Who gives a crap where you or I come from, we are different, so get over it. If you can't get over it, and don't like me cause I'm different, why in the hell should I care, or be put out, or call you a racist?

I'm hoping I'm above that racist hate bs, and have turned all that energy against the stupid people who were born with less usable grey matter than myself.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SLaPPiE

I've said the same thing before..

I'm kinda sick of the race hype in the MSM not to mention here on ATS.

In the past couple of weeks there have been an inane amount of race threads, saying this group is racist, no this group is obviously racist, and don't forget this group, they are the real racists.

For all the people of ATS, claiming to be free thinkers, quick to deny ignormace, its a shame to see people who are supposedly "enlightened" to the ploys of "TPTB" falling for the same crap as the average Faux new viewer.

So in the past year not only has the US been further divided by "tea parties" and "obamanation", now we have hyped racism to further divide.

I've said it before, deny ignorace...embrace ignorance...does anyone know the difference anymore?

But you've come in here with your rant, without even taking time to read the content. Just saw a 'racist' thread and bam...rant.

I concede to your point, but atleast in my opinion this thread isn't along those lines. But since to an extent its about race, I guess I am guilty.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think that it is shameful what the Obama administration did to her.

But what really disturbes me is the racism that is coming from the audience.

Surely they were not expecting a point of redemption in the speech, as they laugh at what was done to the white farmer.

And this coming from an organization that has condemed the tea party for racism that clearly does not exist within its ranks.

Way to go Shirley. You are the genuine article and an inspiration to all of us who are seeking understanding and reconciliation.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
What bothers me more than this original 'excerpt' being spun for some racist agenda is the government allowing themselves to be held hostage by the news media! Her case was not investigated and her side of the story was not requested. She was guilty until she could prove herself innocent. She was told to resign because she was going to be on Glen Beck for crying out loud!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

Are we sure someone from outside the administration didn't plant this or dig it up and force the administration's hand?

[edit on 7/21/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It's possible, but then the administration should have investigated it thoroughly before forcing her to resign.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

Yeah...it's just not clear to me yet, but I bet more facts come out. It could have quickly escalated past the point where they even had an option. The media might well very well have sacrificed her to this story.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
i'd like to get this right she's being bashed for what just doing enough for a white farmer... thats a bunch more than she's did for any other group ie. she aint did # for black people in america

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
In a weird way I'm glad this happened. Not only has this shown how insane people are being about race lately, but it also shows the media and even the White House's BLATANT disregard for facts. No one cares about facts anymore.

They put out this video and scream about her being a racist KNOWING full well that her message was the complete opposite of racism and gave a message of unity. It sickens me that this woman's heartfelt admission was chopped into pieces and her career put on the line to serve a political agenda.

Why the hell do people watch these gawd dang "news" stations anymore. Don't you guys get it?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
But anyway, this whole new focus on race and racism is extremely disturbing. I know the country had great hopes that we could finally put it all behind us, but there are clearly people on all sides who don't want that to happen. Sad.

I don't know what's going on with this race thing but it worries me a lot. The other day my mom sent me two different emails: one was "OMG DON'T BUY THIS MUSLIM STAMP! MUSLIMS WANT US ALL DEAD! AHHHH" and the other was "HeHeHe...wear a border patrol hat in an emergency room, DMV, or health and welfare office and your guaranteed to get to the front of the line. THEIR TAKING OVER OUR COUNTRY! AHHHH!". I told my mom not to every send that crap to me again (in a much nicer way of course).

Regardless of whether the debate is a viable one or not, the reason behind it is what is disturbing. Does anyone realize what the hell they are doing? We started to finally become more united against the government and they found yet another thing to divide us. And people are playing the game. Our problems with this country will not be solved by refusing to buy a stamp or kicking every last illegal immigrant out of this country. Move past it. Get over it. And let's get back to the business of getting the crooks and liars out of our gawd damn government for crimeny sakes!

***end of rant***

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
She don't need a job her lawyer will take care of her finincial problems at the taxpayers expense

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I like how the other thread got tons of attention for incriminating her yer this one vindicating her is getting almost none. Disgusting.

This woman's remarks were intended to show how racism happens on both sides. It was intended to show how she learned about racism as a black woman through her own racism towards a white man. How she realized it is not about race.

These comments were spliced by Andrew Brietbart to completely remove this womans ideas from it and use this woman's wonderful ideals to further propagate and promote racism for his own agenda.

God I can't communicate in words how disgusting this man is. She should sue him for slander. She should take her job back. She deserves restitution from the USDA and that lowly, slimy piece of scum Andrew Brietbart.

I can also see by the fact that those commenting on the thread incriminating her quit talking as soon as the story changed and ignored this thread entirely that those who would criticize her for being racist actually like to see racism. This thread only has one flag for crying out loud. Ill give it another one, and a star.

[edit on 7/21/2010 by dbloch7986]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
what still blows my mind is this..."over remarks she made 24 years ago."

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
what still blows my mind is this..."over remarks she made 24 years ago."
That fact that Glenn Beck agrees that she shouldn't have been fired should also blow your mind:

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
God bless, Shirley Sherrod, George Wallace, Robert Byrd, and everyone else who has confronted the ugly dragon of racial superiority and walked away victorious, and a better person for doing battle!

These people demonstrated that we can choose either to continue to be stuck in a way of life that does no good for anyone, or to move on, move forward, get over it, and help the world to be a better one, for now and future generations.

Each one of us, in our own way, experiences various dragons to slay. Whether the dragon was born in a cave of our own making or one made by the societies in which we live, it is our Life's responsibility to do battle with our dragons and emerge victorious. And people like Ms. Sherrod show us it is possible to win.

In a time of "zero tolerance" combined with the penchant to "solve problems quickly" (leading to knee jerk actions and reactions), Ms. Sherrod suffered an electronic lynching, but this time both sides (detractors as well as would be supporters) participated. Let this be a lesson for us all.

And, Mr. Breitbart, be a man and admit that sometimes one's actions are harmful to individuals, and that you screwed up again. It seems to me you need to learn one helluva lesson here. I wish you'ld learn it (but that's your choice), because I'm getting a little sick and tired of all this.

And Americans, realize you're being played for fools, for if the "small people" were united, they could slay their dragon of corporations and the politicians they buy, those who wish you had no power, who want to take away your power,

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join