It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Racist' official not sure she'd return to USDA

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Tinkertrain

I think that she has more courage than a whole lot of people combined. Remember, her father was killed by a white man when she was 17 years old. Do you think that this might have had something to do with her decision against the farmer?

I mean really, this woman rose above the contempt that she had for white people. How many others could have done that?

This is a woman who possesses uncommon character.

How would you have reacted if your father was killed by a black man when you were a teenager?

[edit on 21-7-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Those testimonials should be reserved for the dinner table to be discussed amongst friends and family members, not while she's giving a speech in front of members at an NAACP banquet. ...

...If at least one person stood up and warned her that her statements might be taken out of context

Dear God, this is a description of a society run on fear! An abusive society (as in an abusive relationship), where people are told to sit down and shut up, for you have nothing to contribute or the wrong thing to contribute!

And blame the victim, tell that person to shut up. Self censor, monitor what you say. Be afraid.

This is the type of country where secret police monitor citizens and disappear dissidents. Fear.

But we're enlightened here. We won't have police monitor what we do or say. We'll just do it ourselves.

I'ld rather live in a society where I can confront my accuser to set the record straight, rather than to be told to not speak...out of fear.

This is supposed to be The Land of the Free, The Home of the Brave.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

I just read about her father. Apparently she grew up picking cotton on a farm in the segregated south. Her father was murdered by a white man who was not charged for the crime, and after the KKK burned a cross in her yard.

I say in light of this situation she does show great character. I think many of us would have similar feelings if one of our parents suffered a similar fate. CNN Article

The woman made a rash decision but turned it around. She had a rough childhood.

I think this is a lot different than Don Imus getting fired for calling young basketball players "nappy headed hoes."

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
reply to post by mryanbrown

Those testimonials should be reserved for the dinner table to be discussed amongst friends and family members, not while she's giving a speech in front of members at an NAACP banquet.

What? Care to elaborate since this makes zero sense? I guess spiritual testimonials shouldn't be given at church by your logic either.

All the people in attendance just simply nodded in agreement to everything she said.

I wasn't in attendance and I completely agree with her.

Welcome to the internet world, people should be smart enough to know anything you say will linger forever.

So I suppose we shouldn't talk about anything negative in our pasts in order to overcome it, because fools may look upon our enlightenment as negative one day?

If at least one person stood up and warned her that her statements might be taken out of context I would buy your version of the story, but no one stood up, instead they all just kept on nodding.

Everything can always be taken out of context, you shouldn't have to be warned fools exist in the world. Secondly why would anyone say anything? What she said made absolute sense, I commend her for it.

BTW, regarding the person that filmed this video clipped, would you consider him/her a traitor?

Now filming an event is akin to the military and publicizing a semi-public event is treasonous? What the...

Seriously. Whoever clipped it out of context to motivate racial division is a traitor. A traitor to this country.

Not the original person to film it.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I know the country had great hopes that we could finally put it all behind us, but there are clearly people on all sides who don't want that to happen. Sad.

From my perspective as an Englishman, it has always seemed to me that race has played a huge part in American life. The fact that you guys have divided your population into hyphenated, racially distinct groups (IE. African-American etc...) is one major example.

Maybe I'm coming from a point of ignorance on the subject (highly possible) but I know for a fact that many people from outside of the US feel the same about what seems to be a hugely contradictory political and social structure.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Hell, I wouldn't return. Everybody from her level all the way to the white house turned their backs on her without even verifying the story.

I would take everybody to court for slander. Even though she was proven innocent after getting fired (instead) of verifying before taking their action.

She should take this and make it her opportunity to retire as a millionaire.

I'm not saying that she should get greedy but her name and word were ruined by this event.

This just shows you how the government turns their back on even their own when they think that the S.H.T.F.

Even if she went back to work, now she has to be on hef toes b/c now she will be under a microscope.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
what still blows my mind is this..."over remarks she made 24 years ago."

Actions speak louder than words:

www.oxfamamerica.org... Nov 6, 2006

The tour also featured Shirley Sherrod, Georgia director of the Federation of Southern Cooperatives, representing black family farmers in the southeastern US, and several New England fruit and vegetable growers

amforum.blogspot.com... Thursday, February 12, 2009

Yet, we have never seen a time like this when our assistance alone may not be enough to keep many farmers on the land, especially small farmers and farmers of color.

cfra.blogspot.com... Thursday, June 15, 2006

The nonprofit also strives to assist in land retention and development, especially for African Americans but essentially for all family farmers.

www.knowledgeplex.org... Thursday, July 29, 2004

-- The Federation of Southern Cooperative's Shirley Sherrod discusses strategies for organizing a Black farmers movement in rural Georgia.

Seems like she is unusually fixated on one color. Now replace the word "Black" with the word "White" and see how it would make you feel. Also notice the dates of those links. That is not 24 years ago.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain
reply to post by Alum9

I can honestly say that I have never considered not helping someone just because of the color of their skin.

Sorry, we all don't have a racist moment. Those who do have one don't get an oops I'm sorry pass. They must own up to it and accept the consequences.

She now must accept the consequence of her moment.
Yeah, she totally wasn't telling a story about how she overcame her racism (Which, as mind boggling as it is, was due to living during a racist time) or anything like that, that would make the people who made her resign look stupid, which they're clearly not. You definitely did not miss the point of that video at all.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Its not worth it.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Mr. Tinkertrain]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

Save me the tired old story of how a black person has over came racisim.

That story is more worn out then the race card.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Dookzor

In the timeline of slavery, the US was one of the latter nations to abolish it. What went along with the economics of slavery was the notion of "white superiority". And while the system of slavery could be abolished, it was much harder to abolish what exists in the mind and heart.

The Southern states, where slavery had existed, held onto overt segregation, separating even water fountains into those for "coloreds" and "whites only", for another hundred years. The Supreme Court decision Brown v Board of Education (1954) paved the way for the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Again, though, that ugly notion of racial superiority has been harder to eliminate. It was this notion that Ms. Sherrod perceived and reacted to.

Actually, I have seen a late 1800s public school text book from a Midwestern state that taught as FACT that skin color was the determining factor in intelligence. Any guess as to who was "on top" and who at the bottom of the rung?

This falsehood poisoned individual and societal minds and hearts well after it no longer was taught as fact, being passed along from generation to generation. Thankfully, I see the generation after the baby boomers much more tolerant of differences that once were so important, that persons strove to "pass" racially, or sexually for that matter.

So for Ms. Sherrod to say that as late as the mid1980s she perceived and had to overcome her reaction to "white supremacy", I am not surprised. As well am I not surprised to see racism continue. Oh, have there been supremacist attitudes coming from non-whites? Yes, but since the dominant culture in America has been (white) European, that is the dominate supremacy notion.

Bah! The idea that skin color means a hierarchy of being better/lesser than others is such an outdated notion, that it would be laughable that it still exists...except for the fact that it's a detriment to the society where elements still hold those outdated thoughts. Witness how racism has become the latest political social wedge.
If Ms. Sherrod and the farmer call bunk about this instance of the wedge, let's put it to rest.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain
reply to post by technical difficulties

Save me the tired old story of how a black person has over came racisim.

That story is more worn out then the race card.
It's not tired at all. I'm sorry reality can't agree with your point of view, but that's the story. This is a woman who has experienced racism in her past (a detail which you conveniently ignore), and upon having help people of the same color of the people who were discriminated against her, she gave out the minimum (also in the past). To believe that she should be fired because of this is beyond irrational. She realized the error of her ways. When will you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join