It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq inquiry: Ex-MI5 boss says war raised terror threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Iraq inquiry: Ex-MI5 boss says war raised terror threat

www.bbc.co.uk

The invasion of Iraq "substantially" increased the terrorist threat to the UK, the former head of MI5 has said.

She said she had advised officials a year before the war that the threat posed by Iraq to the UK was "very limited" and believed that assessment "turned out to be the right judgement".

In a newly declassified document, published by the inquiry, Baroness Manningham-Buller told the senior civil servant at the Home Office in March 2002 that there was no evidence that Iraq had any involvement in the 9/11 attacks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
We knew it.. We've been saying it for years.

But this Chilcot inquiry will hopefully bring out more truth about the real reasons why we went to war.

There seems to be many small bits of information that were being pushed out as major bits of intelligence in order to bolster up the reason for war.

I am not at all surprised by her statements. But I have to ask myself if she is trying to cover her rear? Why, after all this time, does it take an inquiry for someone like her to step up and speak out?

You'd kinda hope that people in these positions would say something right at the start.

The declassified document can be found here if the link on the BBC ever changes,
www.iraqinquiry.org.uk...

I can only guess at the anger that many citizens of this planet have felt as being the reason why those in power now feel more threatened than they ever have.

I know I have very little to fear.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Damn right we knew it.
This was all over ATS for years.
What she said exposes the lie we were told again and again by the government.-that the war was keeping Britain safe.

In fact it was creating extremists at home,and making Britain less safe.

It seems the labour goon government took as much notice of its intelligence people as it did of any other source of information-they simply disregarded the evidence,and carried on bull crapping their way into needless war.

Our soldiers are still dying,for lies upon lies.

Imagine how those who served feel when they hear this ex intelligence head explain how the government exagerated the harm that saddams Iraq could do to the UK...

Their mates,some of our youngest and brightest died for the lies of Blair and Bush.And they continue to die,almost daily now.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

I just hope this new information will be used to get those murdering scum to the Hauge one day....doubt it though.
And even if they did slam the whole neo con/new labour bunch behind bars-it makes no difference.hundreds of thousands of people are stone cold dead.

Words cannot describe the dark souls who engineer such mass death IMO.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Does not take the word of Mrs Maningham-Buller to figure that one out.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

In fact it was creating extremists at home,and making Britain less safe.

pretty match what i thought exactly, parts of england are ruined by large Muslim immigration. and i can honestly say in maybe 200 to 300 years there will be another Kosovo breakaway in England time will tell.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Err... too late guys, the mission was already accomplished.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3fac046e43ec.jpg[/atsimg]

[severe cynicism ahead]
But hey as our famous ATS pundits say why dwell on past, right? Besides, Iran is now talk of the day, not to mention aircraft carrier in South Korea. So move along noting to see here. Hey didcha see that latest ET disclosure video?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I would say the threat of terrorism in the UK was raised from moderate to severe the moment they allowed unrestricted proliferation of their largely unmoderated Muslim community.

As with all things, the British had to learn that the hard way.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The daft thing is that this not only raised the threat level here in the Uk, but it has had a knock on effect.

We've now got these X-ray scanners at airports, for you to all show off your naked bits, cropping up in major airports in several major countries.

CCTV has increased globally.

And we're still at war... people are still dying for the profit of others.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Makes you wonder what was talked about in the 35 secret Iraq inquiry meetings. I remember MI5 having serious questions over the intelligence being used to justify the war. I just have this feeling that the inquiry will exonerate the likes of Blair and his cronies.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

It is too late, who are you gonna hold accountable?

This is the reason why they hold such inquiries so late, and at the time when it doesn't even matter any more, it is too late, nothing can be done about it.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I don't think it is too late. The UK's press still present many unanswered questions surrounding the countries involvement in the war. Most recently, the David Kelly affair. Blair's still kicking around, but the chances of him being indited for war crimes are minimal. Well, he's off bringing peace to the Middle East and brokering deals with Libya!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Add to that, that they are STILL hunting WW2 war criminals. Thet still report on those who have evaded capture yet have recently passed away.

We might get lucky in having those responsible for this dire situation held accountable.

Time will tell...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Iraq was sold as a threat, because the government needed a threat, and an ongoing one at that, in order to not only deflect away from certain policies, but also as a way to "bury" other bad news they wanted sidelined.

It was always known that Iraq would turn into a "terrorist" factory, and this is why the use of rendition, torture and unlawfull arrest and detention was authorised, with only the grunts at the bottom in the firing line as handy scapegoats.

This also fitted into government plans for social experimentation, a new improved multi cultural society, surveillance and other laws designed to restrict personal freedoms, whilst at the same time being used as an excuse to "protect" the public.

It's been done before, so these people were not even being original - doubtless it will be done again...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I wonder what it would take, in an inquiry revelation way, to make us all sit up and say enough is enough. The wars end, the troops come home and we sort our own mess out before involving ourselves in other peoples.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
reply to post by oozyism

I don't think it is too late. The UK's press still present many unanswered questions surrounding the countries involvement in the war. Most recently, the David Kelly affair. Blair's still kicking around, but the chances of him being indited for war crimes are minimal. Well, he's off bringing peace to the Middle East and brokering deals with Libya!

If you can't even hold BP responsible for releasing a terrorist for resources, then how can you hold your leaders responsible when they terrorize for resources?

As long as you reap the benefit, justice is forgotten, but if it is you being robbed, or bombed, that is when justice matters.

Right>?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

With respect, the whole issue surrounding the Libyan terrorist is subject to further investigation, which has been promised. There is no proof at the moment BP was involved, just an allegation and it was a Scottish Parliament decision to send him back on compassionate grounds - whatever that means.

I agree that the whole situation stinks, but the facts need to be established.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Tony Bliar was too busy making sure that the hand of history was on his shoulders and that he would be popular in the USA so he could feather his nest on the blood of British soldiers and civilians.. Corrupt to the core
.. He should he nbeen hung alongside saddam.

As for the OP.... Well duhhh!

Dont need a multi million pound enqiry to work THAT out!

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
Tony Bliar was too busy making sure that the hand of history was on his shoulders and that he would be popular in the USA so he could feather his nest on the blood of British soldiers and civilians.. Corrupt to the core

UK fell during WWII, the US controls UK now through puppetism.

Second line...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Originally posted by Yissachar1

UK fell during WWII, the US controls UK now through puppetism.

Second line...

I am not sure I agree with your assertion the UK 'fell' to the US after WW2. I agree that the two countries are inextricably linked financially, but if anything I think our interests have turned towards China for global partnerships.

Edit to add: It will be interesting to see how the new special relationships with Asia start forming - both on UK and US fronts.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Dont be fooled... The square mile of london holds a third of your debt, the queen owns trillions of pounds of land in america and canada.. This island is a bitch to no one...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join