It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Facts" of the bible and where we come from

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
If we read Genisis chapter 1 it appears that God created heaven and earth out of the very substance of himself.

Which verse are you referring to because Genesis says a few different things.

He spoke most things into existence as the Bible says, "God said"

Now near the end of the sixth day God had placed Adam which he created from the dust of the earth after he had created everything else,

What about this -

Genesis 2:18-19
And the Lord God said it is not good that man should be alone; I will make a help-meet for him. And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them.
?

in the Garden of Eden and he made every creature and plant before Adam so that he could see that He God was the creator of all the living things before him, and on that same day he created woman out of Adams rib.

See above.

All plants were created on the third day.

Genesis 2:4-7
These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth ... And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground.

This makes it sound as though the plants did not actually appear until after man but I can see how it may be interpreted differently.

As for the ark we have not had physical evidence for all to see,

but the evidence that the flood happened is all over the earth.

The ground is mostly sedimentary rock, there are large fossil beds, there are thousand of polystrate fossils (a fossil that goes though many layers of supposed eras of sedimentary rock) all over the earth. I have personally seen river rock inside a hard rock mine several hundred feet in at an altitude of nearly 6000'.

These rock were larger then basket balls and you could clearly see that they were in a channel of some sort.

Do you have any scientific proof of a worldwide flood?

Would it be safe to say you believe the Noah's Ark story then?

The Bible is not clear as to where Cain's wife came from, God could have created one for him, which I doubt as I believe when he quit creating on the sixth day, the law of physics that states that matter can not be created or destroyed went into effect.

It also does say that he went out and found her. So how long was she where she was to be found? Like you say, if God stopped creating on the 6th day and we know who he created at that point, how could Cain find a wife?

So I believe that one of his sisters became his wife. Many will say that is incest, but that would have to be how God had planned for man. Also these people were near perfect in the beginning, so the quote inbreeding would have a great genetic defect.

What makes you believe it was one of his sisters?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ccsct203

What you are doing is Trollin'.
Nothing you have posted has anything to do with the OP. You have not tried to answer one of the questions asked, or tried to defend any of the actual questions.

Saying "People say the Bible is irrelevant and out of date by modern standards. Many will never read or even hear about what it says. " is irrelevant in its self. I am sure I know the bible better then yourself and you are proving this point by not answering 4 simple questions.

Is this because you know there is no legitimate answers for these questions so are just ignoring them, or have you not read the bible enough to know of these contradictions and errors are in the "good book" ?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nophun
Were their multiple Gods at first?
Isaiah 46:9 clearly tells us that there is only one god. Just ignore, Psalm 136:2, Psalm 82, Exodus 12:12, etc.

Don't forget

Genesis 1:26
And God said, let us make man in our image.

Genesis 3:22
And the Lord God said, Behold, then man is become as one of us, to know good and evil.

Genesis 11:7
Let us go down, and there confound their language.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
For an atheist you sure give a lot of credit to God if you can only find 4 or 5 things that you can't credit to him. Seems to me that if God has created all of this, then perhaps the few questions that linger remain unanswered because of our lack of understanding rather than Gods lack of planning. Just a thought brother.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ccsct203
www.neverthirsty.org...

Bible Question:In Genesis 4 after Cain has killed Abel, God comes to him and curses him with a mark. Immediately following this in scripture it says "Cain lay with his wife." Where did Cain's wife come from and also the other people? Cain tells God that he is worried about being killed. I thought only Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel were alive then.
Continued....

Nothing there answers the question where she came from.

Day 6
Genesis 1:20-25
20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creeps upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good... 31 And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Genesis 1: 11-13 The third day God created Plants

This says they came after man.

Genesis 2:4-7
These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth ... And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground.

Animals are made from "dust"

This says the came from the water.

Genesis 1:20
And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

One God in three persons... The Father, Son and Holy Spirit

Where is that defined in Genesis? I see references to multiple gods but nothing explaining the holy trinity.

If you really wanted to know the answers to your "questions" you can search online....

I hope my reply will show you exactly why researching online has proven a little confusing and I thought I would seek out people that can answer, respond, be questioned since what I find online contradicts...what I find online.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by worlds_away
reply to post by evil incarnate

For true answers you would have to ask the authors, I think.

I don’t think the authors thought there would be so much scrutinizing of their work.

Imagine asking the authors those questions. They would probably stare at you thinking “What is that guy talking about? It is a book”.

I would love to see sources for the answers to these questions come from outside the Bible. (or outside of sources used to “create” the Bible.)

Thanks very much for your reply. You may note that I did specifically address my questions to people today who believe the bible should be taken as literal truth. I am not as concerned with what any original authors thought as much as I am interested in the thinking in 2010 that would profess the bible to be a true story. These are the people I am asking. Thanks anyway though.

[edit on 7/18/10 by evil incarnate]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
i am in the US Navy, and have been at sea for extended cruises on a couple of different occasions, and 7 months at sea gives you plenty of time to read and contemplate. i have read the old and new testament. i have read the pearl of great price. i have even tried to wade into the koran. i have broke into some of crowleys qabalistic writings and studied some numerology. not to mention several other books that are about religion, not just the religious texts themselves.

and out of it all... what bothers me the most, when you really start to ask tough questions, it always leads to "you just have to have faith in god"

BUT

what about all those people who are crushed in tsumamis and earthquakes, or die of plague and disease. should they have had faith?

oh thats right, they are gonna go to heaven and thier suffering shall end.

but no one goes to heaven until after the rapture. if you read what the bible says, death is initially an eternal dark void full of nothingness.

but these preachers preach on about how if you just send them money and pray you will go to heaven and be with your loved ones!!

oh wait, you will have no knowledge of you r earthly existance when you get there, another misconception. you will only know who the father is, not your aunt, your mom, your dad. they will be as ignorant of you as you of them.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by No King but Jesus
reply to post by nophun

these are they which testify of Me(Jesus).-John5.39

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.-1Cor6.17

so a book with holy's in it!

There are enough threads full of your brand of random bible quoting spam. Please do not bring it here. I asked specific questions. If you cannot address them, please refrain from posting junk. If you are going to use bible quotes, it is about time you start pretending you understand them and explain why they are worth posting. See if you can possible write one post with more original text in it than bible quotes. See if you can relate the two items as well, just for fun. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
"Thou shalt have no other gods before me."
Exodus 20:3

If Yahweh is the one god, this commandment is a little redundant, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ccsct203
Holes?

And evolution has no "holes"

There are plenty of threads all about bashing evolution. You will note that it is not mentioned in the OP or the thread title. Negating evolution does nothing to answer my questions about the bible. Please try and stick to the topic instead of making proponents of the bible look bad by using such weak tactics. Thank you.

Believing anything but the Bible is "silly"
But what do I know...

I will get around to watching your video later but it would be nice to see you say what it is you do know. What did you learn from this video that applies to this thread?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CableKing
For an atheist you sure give a lot of credit to God if you can only find 4 or 5 things that you can't credit to him. Seems to me that if God has created all of this, then perhaps the few questions that linger remain unanswered because of our lack of understanding rather than Gods lack of planning. Just a thought brother.

For a reply, it sure is lacking in evidence of having read what it is seemingly a reply to. I did make it clear that I was just tossing those few out to start with.

No offense but if people cannot grasp such simple concepts then I would understand their belief in something they cannot explain themselves - thus a post simply attacking me instead of even addressing any of the questions I asked.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
unfortunately most christians will simply tell you that you need jesus instead of trying to answer these questions (note i said most, not all... down boy!)

the thing is that no one can answer the questions for certain, but i like to see how people start to think about the possibilities and the implications.

i feel that if old christians as recent as the 1700s were to witness churches of today, they would burn them down and hang the constituants for being blasphemous!

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

this will answer some your questions about the garden of eden and adamu...you'll notice it says all the animals including adamu spoke hebrew! and will tell u who was there first and all that!

4. And on the second

p. 42

day 1 He created the firmament in the midst of the waters, and the waters were divided on that day--half of them went up above and half of them went down below the firmament (that was) in the midst over the face of the whole earth. And this was the only work (God) created on the second day. 5. And on the third day 2 He commanded the waters to pass from off the face of the whole earth into one place, and the dry land to appear. 6. And the waters did so as He commanded them, and they retired from off the face of the earth into one place outside of this firmament, and the dry land appeared. 7. And on that day He created for them all the seas according to their separate gathering-places, and all the rivers, and the gatherings of the waters in the mountains and on all the earth, and all the lakes, and all the dew of the earth, and the seed which is sown, and all sprouting things, and fruit-bearing trees, and trees of the wood, and the garden of Eden, in Eden, and all (plants after their kind). These four great works God created on the third day. 8. And on the fourth day 3 He created the sun and the moon and the stars, and set them in the firmament of the heaven, to give light upon all the earth, and to rule over the day and the night, and divide the light from the darkness.

III. And on the six days of the second week we brought, according to the word of God, unto Adam all the beasts, and all the cattle, and all the birds, and everything that moveth on the earth, and everything that moveth in the water, according to their kinds, and according to their types: the beasts on the first day; the cattle on the second day; the birds on the third day; and all that which moveth on the earth on the fourth day; and that which moveth in the water on the fifth day. 2. And Adam named them all by their respective names, and as he called them, so was their name. 5 3. And on these five days Adam saw all these, male and female, according to every kind that was on the earth, but he was alone and found no helpmeet

p. 47

for him. 1 4. And the Lord said unto us: "It is not good that the man should be alone: let us make a helpmeet for him." 2 5. And the Lord our God caused a deep sleep to fall upon him, and he slept, and He took for the woman one rib from amongst his ribs, and this rib was the origin of the woman from amongst his ribs, and He built up the flesh in its stead, and built the woman. 6. And He awaked Adam out of his sleep and on awaking he rose on the sixth day, and He brought her to him, and he knew her, and said unto her: "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she will be called [my] wife; because she was taken from her husband." 3 7. Therefore shall man and wife be one, and therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and cleave unto his wife, and they shall be one flesh. 4 8. In the first week was Adam created, and the rib--his wife: in the second week He showed her unto him: and for this reason the commandment was given to keep in their defilement, for a male seven days, and for a female twice seven days. 5 9. And after Adam had completed forty days in the land where he had been created, we brought him into the Garden of Eden to till and keep it, but his wife they brought in on the eightieth day, and after this she entered into the Garden of Eden. 10. And for this reason the commandment is written on the heavenly tables 6 in

p. 48

regard to her that giveth birth: "if she beareth a male, she shall remain in her uncleanness seven days according to the first week of days, and thirty and three days shall she remain in the blood of her purifying, and she shall not touch any hallowed thing, nor enter into the sanctuary, until she accomplisheth these days which (are enjoined) in the case of a male child. 11. But in the case of a female child she shall remain in her uncleanness two weeks of days, according to the first two weeks, and sixty-six days in the blood of her purification, and they will be in all eighty days." 12. And when she had completed these eighty days we brought her into the Garden of Eden, for it is holier than all the earth besides, and every tree that is planted in it is holy. 13. Therefore, there was ordained regarding her who beareth a male or a female child the statute of those days that she should touch no hallowed thing, nor enter into the sanctuary until these days for the male or female child are accomplished. 14. This is the law and testimony which was written down for Israel, in order that they should observe (it) all the days. 15. And in the first week 1-7 A.M.
of the first jubilee, Adam and his wife were in the Garden of Eden for seven 1 years tilling and keeping it, and we gave him work and we instructed him to do everything that is suitable for tillage. 2 16. And he tilled (the garden), and was naked and knew it not, and was not ashamed, 3 and he protected the garden from the birds and beasts and cattle, and gathered

p. 49

its fruit, and ate, and put aside the residue for himself and for his wife [and put aside that which was being kept]. 1 17. 2 And after the completion of the seven years, which he had completed there, seven years exactly, and in the second month, on the seventeenth 8 A.M.
day (of the month), the serpent came and approached the woman, and the serpent said to the woman, "Hath God commanded you, saying, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" 18. And she said to it, "Of all the fruit of the trees of the garden God hath said unto us, Eat; but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden God hath said unto us, Ye shall not eat thereof, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die." 19. And the serpent said unto the woman, "Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that on the day ye shall eat thereof, your eyes will be opened, and ye will be as gods, and ye will know good and evil." 20. And the woman saw the tree that it was agreeable and pleasant to the eye, and that its fruit was good for food, and she took thereof and ate. 21. And when she had first covered her shame with fig-leaves, she gave thereof to Adam and he ate, and his eyes were opened, and he saw that he was naked. 22. And he took fig-leaves and sewed (them) together, and made an apron for himself, and covered his shame. 32. And God cursed the serpent, and was wroth with it for ever. . . . 3 24. And He was wroth with the woman, because she hearkened to the voice of the serpent, and did eat; and He said unto her: 4 I shall greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy pains in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children, and thy return 5 shall be unto thy husband, and he will rule over thee." 25.

p. 50

[paragraph continues] And to Adam also He said, "Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree of which I commanded thee that thou shouldst not eat thereof, cursed be the ground for thy sake: thorns and thistles shall it bring forth to thee, and thou shalt eat thy bread in the sweat of thy face, till thou returnest to the earth from whence thou wast taken; for earth thou art, and unto earth shalt thou return." 26. And He made for them coats of skin, and clothed them, and sent them forth from the Garden of Eden. 1 27. And on that day on which Adam went forth from the garden, he offered as a sweet savour an offering, frankincense, galbanum, and stacte, and spices 2 in the morning with the rising of the sun from the day when he covered his shame. 28. And on that day was closed the mouth of all beasts, and of cattle, and of birds, and of whatever walketh, and of whatever moveth, so that they could no longer speak: 3 for they had all spoken one with another with one lip and with one tongue. 29. And He sent out of the Garden of Eden all flesh that was in the Garden of Eden, and all flesh was scattered according to its kinds, and according to its types unto the places which had been created for them. 30. And to Adam alone did He give (the wherewithal) to cover his shame, of all the beasts and cattle. 31. On this account, it is prescribed on the heavenly tables as touching all those who know the judgment of the law, that they should cover their shame, and should not uncover themselves as the Gentiles uncover 8 A.M.
themselves. 4 32. And on the new moon of the fourth month, Adam and his wife went forth from the Garden

p. 51

of Eden, and they dwelt in the land of ’Eldâ, 1 in the land of their creation. 33. And Adam called the name of his wife Eve. 34. And they had no son till the first jubilee, and after this he knew her. 35. Now he tilled the land as he had been instructed in the Garden of Eden. 2

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

Thanks but could you

1-supply your source

2-give me the highlights.

See, I have bibles. If your post is simply to tell me what page to start reading on, I can do that. I have done that. That is why I have questions. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
www.sacred-texts.com...

alot of people should really read this stuff...also u wanted to know about noah let me give u the interesting part!

Noah's Sacrifice; God's Covenant with him (cf. Gen. viii. 20-ix. 17). Instructions to Moses about eating of Blood, the Feast of Weeks, etc., and Division of the Year (vi. 1-38).

V1. And on the new moon of the third month he went forth from the ark, and built an altar on that mountain. 8 2. And he made atonement for the earth, 9 and took a kid and made atonement by its blood for

p. 61

all the guilt of the earth; for everything that had been on it had been destroyed, save those that were in the ark with Noah. 3. And he placed the fat thereof on the altar, and he took an ox, and a goat, and a sheep and kids, and salt, and a turtle-dove, and the young of a dove, and placed a burnt sacrifice on the altar, and poured thereon an offering mingled with oil, and sprinkled wine and strewed frankincense over everything, and caused a goodly savour to arise, acceptable before the Lord. 1 4. And the Lord smelt the goodly savour, 2 and He made a covenant with him that there should not be any more a flood to destroy the earth; 3 that all the days of the earth seed-time and harvest should never cease; cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night should not change their order, nor cease for ever. 4 5. "And you, increase ye and multiply upon the earth, and become many upon it, and be a blessing upon it. 5 The fear of you and the dread of you I shall inspire in everything that is on earth and in the sea. 6 6. And behold I have given unto you all beasts, and all winged things, and everything that moveth on the earth, and the fish in the waters, and all things for food; as the green herbs, I have given you all things to eat. 7 7. But flesh, with the life thereof, with the blood, ye shall not eat; for the life of all flesh is in the blood, lest your blood of your lives be required. At the hand of every man, at the hand of every (beast), shall I require the blood of man. 8 8. Whoso sheddeth man's blood by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God made He man. 9 9. And you, increase ye, and multiply on the earth."

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

damn you didnt give me enough time! before replying i was expecting u to read as i went...otherwise i would be wasting my time

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

god tries to talk abram into sacrificing his son to him! ((((IF GOD IS GOD HE WOULD KNOW ABRAMS MIND AND NOT NEED HIM TO KILL HIS SON FOR HIM))))

Mastêmâ proposes to God that Abraham shall be put to the Proof (xvi. 15-18).

2003 A.M.
15. And it came to pass in the seventh week, in the first year thereof, in the first month in this jubilee, 4 on the twelfth of this month, there were voices in heaven regarding Abraham, that he was faithful in all that He told him, and that he loved the Lord, and that in every affliction he was faithful. 16. And the

p. 109

prince Mastêmâ 1 came and said before God, "Behold, Abraham loveth Isaac his son, and he delighteth in him above all things else; bid him offer him as a burnt-offering on the altar, and Thou wilt see if he will do this command, and Thou wilt know if he is faithful in everything wherein Thou dost try him." 17. And the Lord knew that Abraham was faithful in all his afflictions; for He had tried him through his country and with famine, and had tried him with the wealth of kings, and had tried him again through his wife, when she was torn (from him), and with circumcision, and had tried him through Ishmael and Hagar, his maid-servant, when he sent them away. 2 18. And in everything wherein He had tried him, he was found faithful, and his soul was not impatient, and he was not slow to act; for he was faithful and a lover of the Lord.

The Sacrifice of Isaac: Abraham returns to Beersheba (xviii. 1-19; Cf. Gen. xxii. 1-19).

XVIII. And God said to him, "Abraham, Abraham"; and he said, "Behold, (here) am I." 2. And He said, "Take thy beloved 3 son whom thou lovest, (even) Isaac, and go unto the high country, 4 and offer him on one of the mountains which I will point out unto thee." 3. And he rose early in the morning and saddled his ass, and took his two young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood of the burnt-offering, and he went to the place on

p. 110

the third day, and he saw the place afar off. 4. And he came to a well of water, and he said to his young men, "Abide ye here with the ass, and I and the lad shall go (yonder), and when we have worshipped we shall come again to you." 5. And he took the wood of the burnt-offering and laid it on Isaac his son, and he took in his hand the fire and the knife, and they went both of them together to that place. 6. And Isaac said to his father, "Father"; and he said, "Here am I, my son." And he said unto him, "Behold the fire, and the knife, and the wood; but where is the sheep for the burnt-offering, father?" 7. And he said, "God will provide for himself a sheep for a burnt-offering, my son." And he drew near to the place of the mount of God. 1 8. And he built an altar, and he placed the wood on the altar, and bound Isaac his son, and placed him on the wood which was upon the altar, and stretched forth his hand to take the knife to slay Isaac his son. 9. And I stood before him, and before the prince of the Mastêmâ, 2 and the Lord said, "Bid him not to lay his hand on the lad, nor to do anything to him, for I have shown that he feareth the Lord." 10. And I called to him from heaven, and said unto him: "Abraham, Abraham"; and he was terrified and said: "Behold, (here) am I." 11. And I said unto him: "Lay not thy hand upon the lad, neither do thou anything to him; for now I have shown that thou fearest the Lord, and hast not withheld thy son, thy first-born son, from me." 12. And the prince of the Mastêmâ was put to shame; and Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, a single ram caught 3 . . . by his horns, and Abraham went and took the ram and offered it for a burnt-offering in the stead of his son. 13. And Abraham called

p. 111

that place "The Lord hath seen," so that it is said "(in the mount) the Lord hath seen": 1 that is Mount Sion. 14. And the Lord called Abraham by his name a second time from heaven, as he caused us to appear to speak to him in the name of the Lord.

15. And He said: "By Myself have I sworn, saith the Lord,
Because thou hast done this thing,
And hast not withheld thy son, thy beloved 2 son, from Me,

That in blessing I shall bless thee
And in multiplying I shall multiply thy seed

As the stars of heaven,
And as the sand which is on the seashore.

And thy seed will inherit the cities 3 of its enemies,
16. And in thy seed will all nations of the earth be blessed;

Because thou hast obeyed My voice,
And I have shown to all that thou art faithful unto Me in all that I have said unto thee:
Go in peace." 4

[paragraph continues] 17. And Abraham went to his young men, and they arose and went together to Beersheba, and Abraham dwelt by the Well of the Oath. 18. And he celebrated this festival every year, seven days with joy, and he called it the festival of the Lord according to the seven days during which he went and returned in peace. 19. And accordingly hath it been ordained and written on the heavenly tables regarding Israel and its seed that they should observe this festival seven days with the joy of festival.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

all powerful all knowing god who want sus to love and be as one gets scared whe man unites why? b/c god is an alien why else would this have happened!

The Tower of Babel and the Confusion of Tongues (x. 18-27; cf. Gen. xi. 1-9).

18. And in the three and thirtieth jubilee, in the first year in the second week, Peleg took to himself a wife, whose name was Lômnâ the daughter of Sînâ’ar, and she bare him a son in the fourth year of this week, and he called his name Reu; 2 for he said: "Behold the children of men have become evil 3 through the wicked purpose of building for themselves a city and a tower in the land of Shinar." 19. For they departed from the land of Ararat eastward to Shinar; for in his days they built the city and the tower, saying, "Go to, let us ascend thereby into heaven." 4 20. And they began to build, and in the fourth week they made brick with fire, and the bricks served them for stone, and the clay 5 with which they cemented them together was asphalt which cometh out of the sea, and out of the fountains of water in the land of Shinar. 21. And they built it: forty and three years were they building it; its 1645-1688 A.M.

p. 82

breadth was 203 bricks, and the height (of a brick) was the third of one; its height amounted to 5433 cubits and 2 palms, and (the extent of one wall was) thirteen stades (and of the other thirty stades). 22. And the Lord our God said unto us: "Behold, they are one people, and (this) they begin to do, and now nothing will be withholden from them. Go to, let us go down and confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech, 1 and they may be dispersed into cities and nations, and one purpose will no longer abide with them till the day of judgment." 23. And the Lord descended, and we descended with Him to see the city and the tower which the children of men had built. 24. And He confounded their language, and they no longer understood one another's speech, and they ceased then to build the city and the tower. 25. For this reason the whole land of Shinar is called Babel, because the Lord did there confound all the language of the children of men, and from thence they were dispersed 2 into their cities, each according to his language and his nation. 3 26. And the Lord sent a mighty wind 4 against the tower and overthrew it upon the earth, and behold it was between Asshur and Babylon in the land of Shinar, and they called its name 1688 A.M.
"Overthrow." 5 27. In the fourth week in the first year in the beginning thereof in the four and thirtieth jubilee, were they dispersed from the land of Shinar.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

I normally don't post on sundays.I am home from
church because I have been sick.
I believe this member is not trolling.
The Bible is a book of confusion when you read it
with a dead spirit.
The Bible reveals itself to the spiritually alive, AKA,
saved people.
Christians shouldn't cast their pearls before swine.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by nophun

I normally don't post on sundays.I am home from
church because I have been sick.
I believe this member is not trolling.
The Bible is a book of confusion when you read it
with a dead spirit.
The Bible reveals itself to the spiritually alive, AKA,
saved people.
Christians shouldn't cast their pearls before swine.

So the bible only makes sense and is useful to people that already believe it?

How does that make any kind of sense?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join